• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PLEASE read this and tell me I am not crazy!!!!!!

That's just dumb playing, why keep going all "Tin Cup", lay the hell up and play it safe, like everyone else on the card did.

Looks like it was a final 9 with 2 holes left. He decided to play aggressive and it didn't work. No big deal in that case, might as well try to get it eventually if you missed it twice and fell out of the top 3.

You are Crazy

That's just dumb playing, why keep going all "Tin Cup", lay the hell up and play it safe, like everyone else on the card did.

he only had one even come close and he still needed another 15-20ft to make it over. Stupid.

Last edited:
I can't say as I've gotten a 17 before, not that its far out of the realm of possibilities. And I don't even own a cell, let alone carry one. But I do feel your pain. Said with a knowing chuckle. If I had a dollar for every disc I left behind after a horrible shot I'd be a rich man. And at my home course, Joseph Davis State Park I took a Snowman, 8, on the shortest hole on the course at 197 ft. Its one of the easiest holes on the course and I've already gotten a metal hit on the basket. I may have parked, within 5 feet, this basket more than any other. And on this particular day albeit very windy, I got within 5 feet with my drive. 7 throws later, I scored my 8.

Or last year my first time playing in the Blue Heron Open. My first hole, first round, first day, number 13 Beaver Island State Park. The unmowed grass left and downhill of the basket OB, stroke and distance. 279 feet with no trouble whatever any reasonable distance to the right. LHFH too much spike in my hyzer, OB. :doh: Repeat. :doh: Repeat. :mad: Take an understable driver aim wide right. Naturally the little wind there was was a headwind and naturally I over played it and now I'm wide right, OB!!! :wall: Finally a drive in play and I start my tourney giving my division at least a 7 stroke lead. And also secured my DFL finish.

But I'll take 10, 20, more frustrating days for that one picture perfect shot. Laugh off the bad luck. Just think how easy it will to be to beat that score next time.

And as appropriate as this is, right now I'm listening to the Dead, He's Gone. Jerry so poignantly just sang, "Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile!"

Happened to me and my partner during a doubles tournament. It was worst shot (Every ones favorite doubles format). If it wasn't me hitting a tree, it was him missing putts through out the entire round. We went in to that round (It was only round 2 out of 4 for the tourney) at -2.. after worst shot we ended up with a +17 :gross: :sick: Luckily we were in 2nd place, and every one on our card did even worse except for the guys ahead of us, who got a +12. We ended the tournament with a +10, keeping second place and losing the tournament by 3 strokes.

Happened to me and my partner during a doubles tournament. It was worst shot (Every ones favorite doubles format). If it wasn't me hitting a tree, it was him missing putts through out the entire round. We went in to that round (It was only round 2 out of 4 for the tourney) at -2.. after worst shot we ended up with a +17 :gross: :sick: Luckily we were in 2nd place, and every one on our card did even worse except for the guys ahead of us, who got a +12. We ended the tournament with a +10, keeping second place and losing the tournament by 3 strokes.

Off topic but in worst shot dubs what determines the worst shot if you both land your disc in the fairway next to eachother? (I get it not a common occurrence just wondering)

But I'll take 10, 20, more frustrating days for that one picture perfect shot. Laugh off the bad luck. Just think how easy it will to be to beat that score next time.

Preach on brother! More people should have this mentality.

I agree. I know you can't lay up all the time, and sometimes it pays to be bold, but after one or two misses you're just plain idiotic to keep trying. You'd think professionals would be smarter than that. I'd be laughing my ass off if I was there watching.

Last hole on my home course is pretty long (~500') but otherwise straightforward, but I do know this feeling. I've had a few days where I rock the front 9, and then the wheels fall off on the back nine, turning a good day into a below average day. Other days, I play very well on the most challenging holes, but I hit trees on the easier ones.... infuriating, but you gotta take 'em as they come.

oh my god i had to stop watching that video after the 5th OB. that was disturbing.

Maybe he felt he had to go for it the first time? The guy he was tied with put it over, maybe it really didn't even seem like he had a choice.

Was he the one chicken clucking, as well?

And, then I suppose, you're thinking "Now I can't _afford_ to lay up, I've _got_ to 'make up' a stroke and get it over."

Wild.

I wonder what he was saying - it seemed like there were a couple of words spoken.

For that particular video, after the first OB, it effectively didn't matter. It was a final 9 with just that 4-some.. he was getting 4th place basically no matter what after the first OB.

Yep, in the long. Tree hit, roll. Tree hit, roll....

Remember worst-case you can always take the optional re-throw. ;) 1 stroke penalty to re-throw from your previous lie.. instead of aaaaallll the way down that hill. :p

By the way, as part of the Corp of Engineers (erosion) restoration plan, that hole is going to be massively shortened in the future (no throwing up that hill anymore). :(

I thank you all for your encouragement. I helps to know I am not the only nutcase out there.

As for the guy in the video. He was already behind so I figure just go for it.