• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] Polaris LS micro thread

TheBMeistor

Eagle Member
I have found a few threads for the Polaris but no general threads so I thought I would make one.

I'm lovin speed six and I don't miss my eagles that much anymore.

Today I bought a 1.29 Polaris LS and it has a new stamp, looks nice. Better part is that they all seem to have less dome than my 1.23 and a higher PLH. PLH on it was even higher than a Sparkle QPLS I compared it to. Should be an awesome flyer.

Also saw a barstamped QPLS. Was really gummy and so old (unthrown and new in store) that the weight and model ink on back was really faded. No run #'s on the barstamps but I am curious are these CE? Would have picked it up also but it was a lot lighter than I like.

This thread looked lonely, so I thought I'd bump it.

Even though I somehow got charged premium prices for it at the local DG shop, I love my Polaris LS. Like a tougher Cheetah. Looking to pick up a 150 class one at some point just for the heck of it.

While not specific to the Polaris LS, as is often noted, the Millennium base plastic is a nice step up from DX/Pro-D in terms of toughness. Lasts a little longer but still beats in with a reasonable amount of throwing. Good disc for a beginner to both not feel bad about hitting trees and still get to see the effects of a disc changing flight over time.

Good bump, how did I miss this thread the first time around? I knew nothing about my Millennium Polaris LS when I bought it shortly after starting to play DG almost two years ago. I went to Academy Sports looking for a replacement for my very first lost disc (a JLS) and picked it up on a whim. It looked like an easy to throw fairway driver and that is exactly what I found it to be. I think it is about half way between a Leopard and a JLS in its flight. I love this disc and it is still in my bag.

It complimented my Teebirds very well for many months, but since I added some slower fairways (Leopards and Gazelles) to my bag there is some overlap. I keep the PLS in there for sentimental reasons but also because when I don't have room for an x-step it is the furthest disc I have for those stand and deliver throws.

It is so versatile, I can throw it at 100% power and it won't turn over as long as I'm having an "OAT free" day. It also powers down so well that I can use it for a mid when I need to keep it low to the ground but still get some distance.

I have always been confused on how the JLS and Polari compare.

I have always been confused on how the JLS and Polari compare.

I find the JLS to be a bit faster, with a bit more fade. The Polaris definitely flies more straight with less effort. That said, I find the JLS to be more useful in line shaping.

I dunno how I missed this thread either. I haven't been throwing the Polaris recently because Cyclones, with their HSS, took over that spot in the bag. I've definitely been contemplating tossing my thrashed old PLS again since I dropped the Cyclones.

I had a first run QPLS that flew very well, but it was a dark blue/purple color that constantly eluded me so I eventually sold it. There really isn't another driver I've found that requires such little effort to go perfectly straight.

/necrobump

I recently picked up some of the new stamp, 1.29 PLS's. I threw a Polaris a couple of years ago and loved it but lost it fairly fast and never replaced it. I've thrown the new ones a few times and they seem to fly more stable (less turn, more fade) than I remember and I also think they're flatter. They're closer to my Teebirds in flight than I wanted for my neutral control driver. Anyone else notice this with the 1.29s? Would a pro Leopard have a bit more turn/less fade?

I haven't thrown a 1.29 PLS but my 175g 1.25 MPLS is very similar to my 171g Pro Leo. The Leo will probably have more turn than your 1.29 the way you describe it. Neither my DX nor Pro Leo display any fade whatsoever unless I put them up too high (or nose up).

I bought my 1.29 along with a pro leo, both 175g. I can turn a pro leo fresh (barely) but that 1.29 is just straight with fade.

They aren't super HSS though as they turn when thrown in a headwind where my proshop pro gazelle is zero turn into the same wind.

If you want something to turn a little more and fade a little less I think a pro leo would be better, I'm sure that pro gazelle would get to that nice spot too if I was patient enough.....

i throw a MILLENIUM driver 3 out of 5 holes i play, i bet. i think i liked the older slightly bigger one better, but probably b/c i call it "ol' trusty". but i got a newer one and it just wasn't the same, so i gave it to my brother.

I also used the orion LS , off topic, but if you havn't tried it and you like these, try it. you get a 15 - 50 ft. extra distance with the same amount of force.

Thinking about auditioning the Polaris. I happen to have a fairly fresh Millenium one in my closet and I plan on taking it to the field soon. Question about the S Polaris...is it a totally different disc than the base plastic one? Is it worth giving one a try or is it better just sticking with the base version?

IMO base (which is similar to Pro plastic) is what makes my Polaris LS a Polaris LS. There is no other disc in my bag that will go further with accuracy on a stand still throw. That said, I have been tempted to try one in Sirius to see if there is a place for it.

Took the base Polaris I had out yesterday. I had only thrown it a few times a year or so ago. That disc is just a laser out to 310-320.

Slight necro-bump here, but I found a Polaris LS in the drink a couple weeks ago looking for one of my discs. No name or number so I held on to it. Looked old and because it's base plastic, I wrote it off, assuming it would be flip-city.

Well I bagged it today on a whim, and man this thing is a laser beam. I mean, easy 325, maybe up to 340 or so on a frozen rope. I was super impressed.

The run number indicates that it's run 1.23. It is pretty darn flat, flight plate slightly caved in. Not sure if its time in the water did anything to it or if that's how these are supposed to fly, but this is what I wanted my FDs and TLs to be. If this laser beam characteristic is pretty consistent with this mold and this plastic, then I'll be buying some more. Any info or things to look for on this mold is appreciated!

They are neat indeed. I'll have to look into the OLS.

How are the other PLS in star and champ varieties? I imagine they'd have more stability, which could make for a fantastic fairway cycle (which is the most in-flux part of my bag at the moment).

How are the other PLS in star and champ varieties? I imagine they'd have more stability, which could make for a fantastic fairway cycle (which is the most in-flux part of my bag at the moment).

And that is where you hit a roadblock with the PLS. The flight and characteristics are surprising similar across pro, champ, and star. The mold is more dependent on PLH, so if you'd want to flesh out a cycle it's a tough task.

I pair the PLS cycle with an Eagle cycle.

They are neat indeed. I'll have to look into the OLS.

I have a sparkle champ PLS and it is definitely more Teebird like than the base plastic. Not sure it is a good cycle though as it is definitely shorter than the base.

My base PLS get squirrely around 320-330. Still fine to throw if I don't need them to fade back. There are other discs I like better for the stability/speed you are looking at. Gazelles come to mind, as well as the circle stamp cheetahs.

Registered to make this post once I found this. I bought a bag full of discs from a thrift shop for 8 bucks here recently and inside was this disc. Stamped 1996. Also has 1.20 stamped on top, not sure what that indicates. Disc looked to have never been thrown.

My go to driver is a westside northman in VIP plastic. Nice and broken in I can get it to do what I want for the most part. However on a whim I wanted to see what this brand new 24 year old disc could do and wow. This thing is an absolute gem of a disc. Thing flies on rails. Was super impressed.

The 1.2 has to do with the run number. I bought mine around 7 years ago and it is a 1.25 (bought at a retail store, I think it was Academy), so you may be able to infer some age from that. I don't think that Millennium was around in '96 but I could be wrong. You can check the PDGA website for their chart on what year every disc was approved for play. That might be useful information for you regarding this disc.

The one that I bought as a backup around 4 or 5 years ago is a 1.31 and I have not thrown it to see if there is any appreciable difference. I hope it didn't change any because I agree with you on this amazing disc. Turns out it is the furthest throwing disc from a standstill that I have in my bag, and super straight.

You didn't say what plastic but I assume it's millennium (which is very much like Innova Pro plastic from around the same era). I love that plastic. It has the glide of Innova DX but doesn't change as quickly.