• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poll: Do You Play Organized Disc Golf?

Have you played in the past year:

• Tournament and League Event

Votes: 136 56.4%
  • Just League Event

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • No organized rounds, just casual play

Votes: 82 34.0%

• Total voters
Travelling with friends to new courses is the best disc golf to me. Start when we want, play at our own pace, that is what i call relaxing.

(For the OP).....on the other hand, I think people like Tripper shouldn't be discounted when making presentations to local governments. How many people from out of town are likely to visit? I bet it's far more than they'd guess. And every locality likes out-of-town visitors bringing in money, even if it's in small amounts, and seeing their town.

I play a course with very light usage. The numbers would impress no one. But the places people have come from astonishes me.

I like to play tourneys but prefer sanctioned to non-sanctioned events. I'll play leagues when I can find the time. With my work schedule, a lot of weeklies start before I'm able to get there. Weekends work a lot better for me. Casual rounds are an almost daily occurrence, so I really enjoy the change of pace that a tourney brings.

I checked "Just League Event," but that may be misleading, as I have only played league once in the last year.

First year: casual only. First part of that year I played regularly with a group of friends. Then I moved to KC...
Second year: I played league twice, but both times work had taken me near a course that was further from home and, with no planning, I showed up to play a little before the league started, so I decided to play.
Third year: Not living where there was league play.
Now into fourth year: Have moved to where there is league play, and played once a few weeks ago.

Tournaments are too long and involved, too often on Sundays, and cost too much. Tournaments and leagues are too competitive; physical challenges the last year and a half have hurt my physical abilities and game.

Leagues, to me, seem pretty much a way for the younger, better players to make some money off of the rest of us. DG leagues are not like the bowling leagues that I played in as a kid. There is not the regularity, the playing together as a team for a defined period of time, and the money mostly goes into a gambling pool, rather than mostly towards costs of playing. In Kansas City, at least there was usually a master's division, and I had a little more in common with the other players (and they were not passing around pipes). So far here in NorCal, it does not look like that is the case. Maybe I'll try a few more times, but I am not all that hopeful.

Last edited:
I play a vast majority of casual rounds. We did have a small local league this Summer. I like playing tourneys, but haven't made the time recently, other than a small event at my course.

Lot less casual rounds lately. Leagues usually weekly and as much tourny play im able.

Leagues, to me, seem pretty much a way for the younger, better players to make some money off of the rest of us. DG leagues are not like the bowling leagues that I played in as a kid. There is not the regularity, the playing together as a team for a defined period of time, and the money mostly goes into a gambling pool, rather than mostly towards costs of playing. In Kansas City, at least there was usually a master's division, and I had a little more in common with the other players (and they were not passing around pipes). So far here in NorCal, it does not look like that is the case. Maybe I'll try a few more times, but I am not all that hopeful.

The league I played this summer was only $2, a buck each for PDGA fees and ace pool. The better players usually had a $5 side pool for the hot round. So much better for the people that want to play but don't have a reasonable chance of winning.

While this site does have casual round only players, I think DGCR's membership will tend to skew toward organized/competitive play much moreso than the general DG population.

199 votes now, 1/3 of which are casual only. Maybe I should have phrased the question differently, like "are the majority of your rounds: casual, league or tournament? " The answers based on what I see here would be mostly on the casual option? Thanks for the almost 200 votes! I think I have a good picture now.

199 votes now, 1/3 of which are casual only. Maybe I should have phrased the question differently, like "are the majority of your rounds: casual, league or tournament? " The answers based on what I see here would be mostly on the casual option? Thanks for the almost 200 votes! I think I have a good picture now.

I'm not sure that would give you useful information. I suspect most regular league and tournament players, still play more casual rounds.

I eventually want to get involved in tournaments/leagues/such, but I want to at least feel competent. I know there are different tiers and such, but the expenses only make sense for me once I feel I'm adequately ready to keep up with regular players.

I play casually, league, and tourney. Occasionally I pay in for doubles...not often, but I still play...just nothing in it for me. I enjoy regular league play with bag tags as it gets my competitive juices flowing for mental toughness at tourneys. Tourney's I only play locally right now as i'm not good enough to travel or have the will to do so...it wrecked it for me awhile back and I took a 4 year hiatus. There's no way i'm going to ruin the sport for myself again so I take little breaks during the summer/playing months. That being said, my casual rounds are like my league/tourney rounds...or I play them as such...for better or worse.

Casual player. Although I do have a Crunchbox full of disc I guess I would fall into the "chucker" category if that is the DG equivalent to "duffer" in BG I'm in my mid 50s and took up DG a couple of years ago for a cheap way to enjoy fresh air and exercise.

I definitely play more casual rounds than organized rounds... not even close.

I play way more casual rounds than I do tournament rounds, but I use my casual rounds to practice for tournament play or to work on executing my lines better. I like organized competition, and will be the assistant TD for an event two weeks from now at my home course. Should be an interesting experience.

Casual Rounds? i have heard of them and need to give them a try. I pretty much just play competitive golf. Mostly sanctioned events and i make our club monthlies when i am not traveling. I don't miss weeknight doubles in the summer as that is probably the most fun disc golf i play. Most of my spare weekday time is spent putting and morning practice sessions at my local course. I do play the occasional casual round with my girlfriend when i am not traveling and she wants to throw. She is soooo good for how much she plays...if i could just stoke that competitive fire in her we would be an awesome road crew.

I voted both because throughout a year I'll play a couple tournaments and play a couple weeklys, but I prefer casual play. Its a time thing. Why would I want to play a four hour round when I could play a 1.5-2 hour round?

Latest posts