• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poorly designed par 4,5,and par 6 holes and bad high par courses

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53333

What are some good examples of a "well done" 4 or 5? I thoroughly enjoy both 5s at Nockamixon.

Highbridge Gold, Blueberry Hill and Granite Ridge (when they are mowed:|) I think are very well designed courses with particular skill levels in mind

Milo McIver East and West......even though I think that par 5 12??ft hole on the east course is more of a tweener 5/6.

Jackson Memorial at the IDGC (the string of short par 3's in the middle of the course are a lil weird with the ob, but definitely an epic design for gold players IMO)

Deer Lakes

some might say rolling ridge, but I'm not a big fan of the setup on some of those holes.

They are gimmicks. Very few are sanctioned by USGA and none of the 4 Majors even use them. If the USGA thought highly of them you would see them in play at the U.S. Open - the toughest tourney in golf.
The specs for a par 6 is right in the USGA course manual as a hole 691 yards and longer for men and 591 and longer for women. The primary reason I suspect we don't see them in USGA play is they would likely be considered "real" par 5s for the touring players.

Last edited:
One of the benefits of appropriate length par 4s and 5s, especially doglegs is to increase the player capacity a course can handle for rec play and to reduce stack ups when a field of 72 or 90 play an event. The "problem par 4s" are the NAGS designs where some players on the tee can throw far enough to bother the players already in the green area. This creates stack ups, especially on wooded holes that already play slow due to shots heading off the fairway.

The classic hole like this is downhill where the length might be okay as par 4 for white or blue level on average but the handful of bombers at all levels can sometimes reach it or at least get near enough to disturb the players putting. We (PDGA advance teams) look to eliminate these stack-up holes when reviewing courses for Majors like Worlds either by extending them if possible, but most likely shortening them either with an alternate pin or playing a shorter tee if available. Nevin was a good example where this was done on several holes for Worlds to speed play.

The problem with players on the green being thrown on by better players is not a exclusive par 4 issue. Long par 3 holes afford the same problem.

A good disc golf hole needs more than just pure length to deem it a Par 4 in my mind.

Only few high pars here I think are at "gold" level and not even sure if listed right for true tournament play. A few are generous by a stroke on 4's/5's due to soley distance but I don't think a 700'+ flat ground open hole should be par 5 ever. Even noobs should be able to make it 1000' to a basket in 5 throws. BRP pines driving range hole sticks out right now and #2 fort snelling 933' Par 5 which is a pretty easy bird at "gold" level play.. then we get a par 2 a few holes later :|

The specs for a par 6 is right in the USGA course manual as a hole 691 yards and longer for men and 591 and longer for women. The primary reason I suspect we don't see them in USGA play is they would likely be considered "real" par 5s for the touring players.

I disagree. They don't show up in USGA play because same as my answer for disc golf. Length alone does not make for a good golf hole.

Most of the Twin Cities courses long tees are designed for blue level with the pars set accordingly. A 700' flat ground relatively open hole is a par 4 for gold level, a tough par 4 or weak par 5 NAGS hole for blue, an "easy" par 5 for white and pretty solid par 5 for red level because they can reach it with 3 good shots.

Most of the Twin Cities courses long tees are designed for blue level with the pars set accordingly. A 700' flat ground relatively open hole is a par 4 for gold level, a tough par 4 or weak par 5 NAGS hole for blue, an "easy" par 5 for white and pretty solid par 5 for red level because they can reach it with 3 good shots.

Then would you consider #2 at Fort Snelling with basket in long (on raised hill green offset to ball golf one) a gold par 5 or 4?

I assume then the "tee" as listed at BRP as gold level par 5 750ish but WIDE open is not "gold" standards then? IMO a hole like this SHOULD be a gold 3.

I disagree. They don't show up in USGA play because same as my answer for disc golf. Length alone does not make for a good golf hole.
I'm not sure anyone is saying that length alone makes a good golf hole. Unfortunately, many do not get to play good par 5 holes because several are done as "throwaway" holes transition holes in the wide open that are long just to get from point A to B on the course layout. But good par 5s provide a solid challenge different from a par 4 where players will be forced to throw from different places after each of their first two shots even if they are good. The par 5 hole 5 on Winthrop Gold has been considered one of the best holes in the World with technical challenges it's whole length.

The one par 6 I've done at Highbridge isn't particularly challenging but it's cool aesthetically and it's downhill. Part of the fun in this game is throwing hard and long. So this is a nod more toward fun and saying you played a par 6, not necessarily a nod to technical challenges although the hole does provide scoring spread.

A 700' flat ground relatively open hole is a par 4 for gold level, a tough par 4 or weak par 5 NAGS hole for blue, an "easy" par 5 for white and pretty solid par 5 for red level because they can reach it with 3 good shots.
A 700' flat ground open hole is boring regardless of the par...so what is the point ?

Then would you consider #2 at Fort Snelling with basket in long (on raised hill green offset to ball golf one) a gold par 5 or 4?

I assume then the "tee" as listed at BRP as gold level par 5 750ish but WIDE open is not "gold" standards then? IMO a hole like this SHOULD be a gold 3.

I think hole #2 is listed as Gold par 5 but certainly on the easier side. The daily BRP layout is primarily a blue level course with maybe 4-5 gold holes like the 750' hole which would be a legit gold par 4. The 425' hole right after it is a gold par 3 but I suspect a little too long for good scoring spread (<20% gold level 2s and mostly 3s).

A 700' flat ground open hole is boring regardless of the par...so what is the point ?

I agree that it is boring aesthetically, but for a blue level or better white player its not super easy to three. Challenge is not boring IMO. For most white and some red players its a boring easy 4......with very few threes (long putt or a throw in). For most gold level players its an easy boring three.

^yeah the holes for me being described are far from boring as id love to hit 450'+ x2 one day and be next to the pin after 2 throws... never seems to happen but par 5 for a hole where I can rip it without worry just seems odd. And Id love to watch some big arms throw these holes so for sure not "boring" at all. specially being the only ones. Now a whole course full of 300' wide open is another story.

^yeah the holes for me being described are far from boring as id love to hit 450'+ x2 one day and be next to the pin after 2 throws... never seems to happen but par 5 for a hole where I can rip it without worry just seems odd. And Id love to watch some big arms throw these holes so for sure not "boring" at all. specially being the only ones. Now a whole course full of 300' wide open is another story.
We call this field throwing down here in NC...run when you hear banjos.

This thread is interesting... It gets me thinking of the holes at a local course. The course is tightly wooded and uses doglegs to create par 4's in the 450-500' range. There are a few that use less of a harsh dogleg and reward a great shot with a throw in eagle opportunity (think hitting a small gap after your drive, 120-150 from pin). These ones really play as fun holes, you can relieve some pressure off your upshot by taking a big tee shot.

Then there are the horseshoe shaped fairway and the "L" shaped fairway (where you would tee from the lower, more right end of the "L"). They play almost completely different, but are equally as boring to play. The horseshoe fairway takes a hyzer with a putter, perhaps a midrange, anything longer means trouble. The upshot from there is fairly routine, there are two quite large gaps to hit at the 150' range. Easy birdie, no way to eagle it without a throw in, and even the pars can feel easy after hitting a tree on a drive or upshot. Not fun.

The L shaped fairway plays quite a bit more difficult (and its quite difficult to explain, so I made a crudely drawn diagram here: http://imgur.com/6EM6TH0) It looks like a solid par 3 hole from the kink in the fairway from one certain spot. The difficulty in getting to the landing zone off the tee is high, where you would have an opportunity to make a great shot to get in the circle for birdie. Low branches obstruct the high turnover (rhbh) off the tee. A right handed sidearm generally fades too early and requires an extra shot to pitch into the landing zone for an upshot. Its difficult to get enough penetration off the tee to see a good birdie look, many good shots end up requiring a pitch out/up type shot to get into good position to shoot the gap without obstructions. The landing zone is littered with trees in two areas. One where shots land and one where ensuing shots must pass by. If you have a shot good enough to hit the landing zone you may or may not have the opportunity to have full range of motion and also have a reasonable line to the pin.

This hole seems to have the opposite problem as the horseshoe--The teeshot to the ideal spot on the landing zone is luck based, the only birdies come from wild upshots or drives through the woods--not the intended line the designer was thinking. Two mediocre putter shots usually reward the same as hitting a more difficult shot off the tee.

For the purpose of the discussion, removing the obstructing branches only slightly eases the problem. Seems to be that where the fairway bends to the right, the trees that define the far edge of the fairway prevent most shots from reaching the desirable part of the landing zone (along the far edge in line with the gap). Most shots fall to the short right side of the landing zone where making any shot other than a pitch to or through the gap are dangerous or impossible.

Anybody have holes similar to this around them? What are your opinions on par 4's similar to these where theres almost no risk/reward? On one hand, its a measure of a players ability to string together 3 accurate mid range type shots. On the other, in my opinion, its just not as fun to play, and players score separation on the hole stems from going way over par rather than a stellar or above average shot being awarded birdie.

We call this field throwing down here in NC...run when you hear banjos.

well one hole lines the MSP airport so you cant really fade out. Even areas which airport employees cannot access without permission so landing over those spots and your SOL. not to mention trees on both sides so the 900'+ is not wide open at all. BRP is wide open and truly is field throwing (old sod field no longer harvested) but atleast offers the creek right at 450ish so you seem to find it on your best of drives.......

^what course are you referring to?

The course is not currently open to the public and I wouldn't want what I've said to be taken as a review as it is likely to change and evolve before its big day. Take it as more of a exercise in hole design than anything else.

I only made it a few rants deep, before this thought crossed my mind. Does par really matter? It's quite simple. Whom ever completes the course in the least amount of throws , wins. Does not matter how far above ,or below , " par" you are.

I only made it a few rants deep, before this thought crossed my mind. Does par really matter? It's quite simple. Whom ever completes the course in the least amount of throws , wins. Does not matter how far above ,or below , " par" you are.

Its really a discussion about poorly designed multi shot holes. Don't get too caught up in the word par.