• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Possible Disc golf store coming to Charlotte

This company is from West Jefferson. It is great to think big, but you better know your market and your business. I think someone needs to do a lot of homework.

The way I've always thought a dedicated DG shop would work in this area (and I think it could) would be to start small.

Think small indie record store. Small (cheap) space, nothing but racks/bins, and as many disc molds as possible to sell in that space.

Try to limit start-up costs as much as possible to initial inventory, because to stand apart, it'll take not just having most of the Innova line-up which everyone offers around here (but you would need,) but also a truly solid selection of all non-Innova molds, which is spotty in our area, to put it mildly.

If it floats, then you'd start thinking about adding stuff like other gear? facilitating custom dye-work? better location? with a course/'driving' range? Pro clinics? etc.....

Stan makes the good point about doing the homework.

And the previous buzzz kill numbers that an earlier poster put up should be heeded.

DG shops face this dilemma - the instant you hire someone to work the shop, or have to pay "full rent" for a space... Well, that's the instant the DG shop dream seems to go poof on paper.

Small, nimble, custom. There is a window of ways to perhaps do it, but it's tough. IF you have enough capital and reserves to weather a long recovery start up period, that's one way. Another is if you have plenty of resources that the shop is a hobby or plus. Or if one stays mobile. Maybe build a mobile following, have some custom angle or customizing angle, maybe a "lifestyle brand" until a critical mass supports a brick and mortar.

Or my favorite idea - the space share. There's a good Case study nearby to me where a family that runs a flooring company, complete with showroom space, got into disc retailing. Made total sense in a weird way. There is an already staffed location, already paid for square footage. It has to be pleasant since its a showroom. But rarely packed with flooring customers. A few from time to time. Well, they found that with the first new course going into town that they have all the elements, and a big long wall along the showroom area ready to go. Boom- add plastic merch racks, and see a whole new flow of additional people drop into the shop. It was like they added ten racks of tiles... That were plastic and bright colored.

So any small aspiring DG shop owner may see benefit in taking stock in their social networks to see if the are small family businesses that might like the bump. Maybe sublease some space, maybe some friendly arrangement.

I've got to imagine in the end that a shop owner has to realize this: DG shops are likely not the best value to effort and time, they take a long recovery period, may likely have the owner always hopping from one opportunistic vending location to another, and the instant you take on a DG shop - you likely say goodbye to your ability to be a dg player in the way you'd like to be.

Latest posts