• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Possible new PDGA player (member) stat- "Lifetime Rating"

Dana

Double Eagle Member
With all of the nice changes and updates coming on pdga.com, I was thinking today that it might be cool to have a lifetime rating. It could be another link on your player profile page that lists every single round rating and then gives you your "lifetime rating"

Thoughts?

Great idea. But it would screw kids who started young. It could take a lot to offset a bunch of 500 rounds.

I like this idea. I could only see it being used for entertainment purposes but it would still be cool to look at. Can you imagine how many rounds/ratings there would be for the guys who have been playing since the rating system started? Guys like Climo. That would be neat to see.

I like this idea. I could only see it being used for entertainment purposes but it would still be cool to look at. Can you imagine how many rounds/ratings there would be for the guys who have been playing since the rating system started? Guys like Climo. That would be neat to see.

Exactly what I was thinking.

It'd be fun on those boring days at work to get on and check XXX's best and worst rounds and see what their lifetime rating is.

I have a spreadsheet where I keep all my rounds since my first tournament in 2007. I also have the rating formula in there so I have an idea of what my rating is currently, but I also calculated my "overall round average". It's not the same as a rating because it doesn't go through the standard deviation and doesn't double the recent 25% of my rounds, etc, but I have an idea of what my long term average is.

My current up-to-date rating is 945, my round average for the past 12 months is 939 (my actual rating is higher than this because of lower rounds dropped and recent rounds doubled, so yeah improving players do get a higher rating so the system kinda works). My overall average since October of 2007 is 911.

I played my 100th sanctioned round at Winget at Worlds this year.

With all of the nice changes and updates coming on pdga.com, I was thinking today that it might be cool to have a lifetime rating. It could be another link on your player profile page that lists every single round rating and then gives you your "lifetime rating"

Thoughts?
Has someone been reading my posts on the PDGA forum:
ERicJ on Sep 10 said:
Steve, excellent job on the recent improvements!
biggrin.gif

Currently the Ratings Detail page shows all the round ratings in the timeframe that might go into a player's current rating.
The Ratings History page shows all of a player's past player ratings.

Another suggestion I have is: a complete "Ratings Detail/History" on the player pages. I'd like to be able to see all of a player's past round ratings on one page. I think it would look something like the current Ratings Detail page, with the addition of the player's player rating at the time the round was played, and, obviously, all of their rounds played. Sortable columns would be useful there. You could then quickly see a list of a player's all-time best (or worst) rounds. This wouldn't necessarily have to be a new page, it might just be an enhancement to the current Ratings Detail page.

Thanks!
--http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=36444

I like the idea of being able to see all the round ratings but only in order to see what the top 5 or so are. Don't care about all the sub 900 rounds I've shot and I'd rather just forget they happened.

Don't care about all time average, by itself it doesn't tell me anything without knowing when the person first picked up a disc vs when they got a pdga number.

I have a spreadsheet where I keep all my rounds since my first tournament in 2007. I also have the rating formula in there so I have an idea of what my rating is currently, but I also calculated my "overall round average". It's not the same as a rating because it doesn't go through the standard deviation and doesn't double the recent 25% of my rounds, etc, but I have an idea of what my long term average is.

I also do this, because I am a nerd and I like doing things like this. I have three different calculations going: one that attempts to replicate my current PDGA Rating (I haven't asked what the REAL formula is, but I've gotten my calculation to agree with my current 968), one that calculates my flat rating (all sanctioned rounds I have ever played weighted equally, currently 955 on 77 sanctioned rounds), and one that uses all of my sanctioned rounds in a weighted manner, with the most recent round weighted fully and each subsequent round going further into the past weighted incrementally less by a constant related to the number of rounds played (in my opinion, the best "overall" rating calculator for my DG career, currently 964).

I love Excel.

There's no REAL formula, but they're pretty clear about how they get the ratings calculated. If you want to compare notes feel free to shoot me a PM.

I'm in the 750 range last time I counted.

I'm gonna count again in a few years so I'll know exactly my 1,000 Sanctioned round.

I did this once when I was really bored with all of my rounds back to 2001. Think I was averaging around a 962 last time I checked.

I've kept track of all my PDGA rounds in Excel.
Current rating - 958
Overall rating - 935
Overall rating with recent 25% double weighted - 939

I also break down my round ratings per year. This allows me to see how I am performing each year. See below:

533695_399696503430537_18492410_n.jpg

I like that, patdb! I think I'll add that to my spreadsheet. I also have a bar graph of all my rounds so I can try to pick out trends - like I noticed when I first started improving that I didn't necessarily get higher peaks, but my occasional bottom rated rounds were rising. So when I was sucking, I wasn't sucking as bad. You can tell that in your break down pretty well.

I like that, patdb! I think I'll add that to my spreadsheet. I also have a bar graph of all my rounds so I can try to pick out trends - like I noticed when I first started improving that I didn't necessarily get higher peaks, but my occasional bottom rated rounds were rising. So when I was sucking, I wasn't sucking as bad. You can tell that in your break down pretty well.
The goal is to keep track of my progess in the Amatuer field.

I don't see patdb's stuff. :( Regardless, it's fun to break down the data. My average round rating of 939 in 2011 has jumped to 966 this year, with an average of 974 in all tourneys since and including Worlds. It feels good to be consistently better more often. :) Of course, because I forget to check myself, I often tie on one too many on the Saturday night between tourney days... thus the 906 and 914 for my last two Sunday morning rounds. I get a headache just thinking about those...

And Mr. MTL, you have disc golfed much. :)

I think lifetime rating tracking could be another benefit for those who pay for a lifetime PDGA membership ($2000).

You guys take ratings obsession to a whole new level.

I manage a radio station and I track my sales staff and accounts. I break down into traditional revenue versus non traditional revenue and event revenue versus spot schedule revenue. And my staff thinks I'm obsessed!

Latest posts