• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Practice field work on rainy days

SmileyBoy

Par Member
Hello,

I would love to know some tips on how to start practicing my disc golf game during rainy days. Currently I'm letting the weather stop me because I don't have a good equipment to go out with. I will get my a$$ soaked so hard and the weather in Estonia has been awful this week and I want to go out and practice with the right equipment. All I have are thermo leggings and shirt along with using normal clothes on thermo.

NB: Next week is going to be a good sunny week but I want to be prepared for rainy days just in case in the future to keep practicing because I love practicing. Field work is awesome and fun and teaches me a lot. My scores have been improving and will continue to improve. Got my first under par (-3) as well last week after 4 and half months of playing. Also improved my distance from 262 ft to 315 ft with mako3, buzzz and ESP Comet. It has been four weeks since I last threw distance driver. Been with midranges only to learn BHRH form and will continue to use midranges to learn other types of shot as well once my BHRH form is good.

I have a passion for disc golf just like everybody else here has playing disc golf and everybody wants to go pro, maybe? I don't just want to try going pro, I want to really use all the time I have after work on disc golf and of course, weekends are the best days ever with sunny day to play disc golf. That's where my 8 hours go in for field work. I never get tired of throwing discs or putting for 5 hours straight (did it one week ago, felt good, 10/10 would do it again if I get the chance).

So far what I've gathered that I need is:
  • Lots, lots of towels. Cotton towels for hand, chamois for wet discs, other towels to wipe mud off.
  • Rain coat, a good one that allows you to stretch and do your throw routine.
  • Pair of socks to bring with you depending on how long do you plan to be outside. (3-4 hours at least after work)
  • Maybe rain hat that looks like a cowboy hat?
  • Big umbrella to wipe your discs, keep other stuff away from rain while you're throwing.
  • Boots, good waterproof boots. Soaked feet not good.

Questions:
  1. Should one practice field work on rainy days?
  2. Regarding the list I gathered above, any ideas what should I get exactly to stay under a rain for a long time?

Thank you for your big help and I'm looking forward to your replies.

Your hours are insane. I'm not saying that it doesn't help, but practice efficiency might suffer. Practice has to be with 100% focus and focusing 100% for 5-8 hours in a row is pretty crazy.

1-2 hours if fieldwork is more than enough. With putting even 10 minutes can be really effective. I guees it depense on the person, but I've realized focus the entire time is essential.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Practice needs to mimic play. If your goal is tournament play, then practicing in all weather conditions is important. I would invest in a good rain suit. High quality rain coat with a hood and rain pants. Light weight material with options for breathablitly. Mine has a couple flaps with mesh underneath and the armpits unzip for airflow. Rain pants should fit correctly to allow for movement. Generally, rain suits are going to be hot. Dress in light layers with wicking material. I am not an umbrella guy. Playing in rain presents a process challenge. Every thing is more difficult and managing an umbrella is more than I want to deal with. You already have towels, your rain suit, your hood, bag... I wear a rain glove if the rain is persistent. I do not have many grip issues, but once everything is soaked, the extra grip the glove provides is helpful. You need to practice with the glove. Big fan of wool socks and waterproof boots. Make sure the rain pants are long enough to go over the boot tops. Extra towels in zip lock bags. Footing will be at a premium...a good tread on your boots is important. Practice in areas of poor footing. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Your hours are insane. I'm not saying that it doesn't help, but practice efficiency might suffer. Practice has to be with 100% focus and focusing 100% for 5-8 hours in a row is pretty crazy.
I think it depends on the person. I can keep myself focused as long I need but what motivates me to keep myself focused is this putting routine for example:
  1. 10 ft: 100 throws, misses: <num>, accuracy: throws - misses = <num>%
  2. 15 ft: 100 throws, misses: <num>, accuracy: throws - misses = <num>%
  3. 20 ft: 100 throws, misses: <num>, accuracy: throws - misses = <num>%
  4. 25 ft: 100 throws, misses: <num>, accuracy: throws - misses = <num>%
I repeat this routine once per day when the weather is good outside to putt at the basket but that day, I went 5 hours putting while repeatedly doing this routine over and over again. At the end, it was mentally exhausting so I went to do field work. Later that night was when I had my best game at my local course, -3 score :D. I usually sat at +4, +5 and +7 so I was really happy to hit under par game.

The thing about field work is that it takes a lot of time going forth and back. I agree with you that having 100% focus, putting for even 10 minutes and doing fieldwork for 1-2 hours is enough and effective but since I want to improve my game, I am willing to spend more time out practicing to get my techniques right instead of playing for scores. That way I don't have to worry about my scores but my technique instead.

Practice needs to mimic play. If your goal is tournament play, then practicing in all weather conditions is important.
My goal is tournament play. I am going to practice in all weather conditions.

I would invest in a good rain suit. High quality rain coat with a hood and rain pants. Light weight material with options for breathability. Mine has a couple flaps with mesh underneath and the armpits unzip for airflow. Rain pants should fit correctly to allow for movement. Generally, rain suits are going to be hot. Dress in light layers with wicking material. I am not an umbrella guy. Playing in rain presents a process challenge. Every thing is more difficult and managing an umbrella is more than I want to deal with. You already have towels, your rain suit, your hood, bag... I wear a rain glove if the rain is persistent. I do not have many grip issues, but once everything is soaked, the extra grip the glove provides is helpful. You need to practice with the glove. Big fan of wool socks and waterproof boots. Make sure the rain pants are long enough to go over the boot tops. Extra towels in zip lock bags. Footing will be at a premium...a good tread on your boots is important. Practice in areas of poor footing. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
Thank you very much. I'll look for the necessary equipment listed here to get started.

That is cool that you are enjoying it and putting in the time. Once you find your groove, I think you will find focusing on quality of practice is equally important as quantity. Keep it going.