• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Practice makes perfect?

treethacker

Birdie Member
Just curious,how many here actually spend time practicing their disc golf? I'm talking about not playing a round but instead spending that day practicing your putting or practicing on your drives. If you do,how much time is devoted to practice only?I have been trying to devote time on just my drives over and over.
I do play but I try to spend some days with practice only.

I don't spend much time practicing drives. If I am practicing them, it is usually to test out discs I haven't thrown and/or developing other throwing techniques because I am a Lefty. (RHBH, LHFH, RHFH, Tomahawk, Thumber, different Rollers, Flexes, etc.) Most of my drives are during regular play, because you need to develop strategy and establish windows that you are throwing at different holes.....Although I will play "practice" rounds where I shoot multiple drives

Now putting is a whole different animal. I practice putting before almost every round. I practice 15 minutes at least 1 once, usually twice. This helps me build confidence in my putting before a round and seriously think it shave 2-4 strokes off my game. I only putt at a range that I hit consistently (10-40 ft). Like I have said in previous posts, putting is the easiest part of the game. It is just getting your head right to actually make it easy. WE ARE ALL GOOD PUTTERS!!!!

I spend about half the time I play practicing. I tried practicing on an open field, but my local course requires some control and practicing open bombs doesn't seem very helpful. I practiced two hours today, during the warmest part of the day on Sundays there is very little competition on my home course.

Like I have said in previous posts, putting is the easiest part of the game. It is just getting your head right to actually make it easy. WE ARE ALL GOOD PUTTERS!!!!

Obviously, you haven't seen my putting game.....:D
However, I am slowly starting to change the way I feel about putting and agree that I make it harder than it really is. I agree that the mental aspect of the putting game plays a role with confidence, etc..., but developing good technique is also important.

Now, about practice. Usually when I practice putting, I play a round of PerfectPutt 360. PP360 has helped me to enjoy practicing my putts and I am starting to show signs of improvement. As far as throwing is concerned, I have started practicing in a park near my house. I have a nice open area that I can empty all the discs in my bag without worrying about hitting something (except a light pole or fence). I was amazed after going to the park and throwing 80-100 drives on a few occassions how much difference it has made. I have found the field practice very beneficial.

The next step is to work harder with the mid-range discs and get rid of that Off-Axis-Torque that I seem to have an issue with!!!!

Dont practice much besides just playing a bunch o rounds. Of course there is little putting in there before rounds but I play tons of golf and try to learn while doing, if that makes since. I always play for moneys, seems to help with the pressure and "tourney" atmoshpere. Thats my "practice."

I go to the baseball fields when I get a new disc to test it out. I usually throw about 50 puts on the 18th whole before we off.

Me and the guys I work with throw drives in a field behind work on our lunch break usually 30-50 drives 3 days a week, I have a basket at home that I practice putts I try for 100 putts 3-5 days a week with 75% made. i also only use 4 putters 2 soft 2 cryZtal challengers, I have tried lots of putters and finally stuck with this one. My putting has gotten better faster than my drives.

I don't practice nearly enough. I go out to a field for an hour or two once every few months, but I should probably do it every few weeks. The last time that I did it made a huge difference in my accuracy and distance. It's a great way to learn new techniques.

I practice my putting alot and it has paid off big time. I don't get as much field practice in as I would like though. Mainly because the closest field is at the park and if I go there my time is spent playing a few rounds. If we visit my parents I will pack the basket up and get some approach practice in but their yard is not large enough to drive. I tried it once and ended up hopping the fence alot so I don't bother.

I must say that using that perfect putt 360 is probably the best thing I have done to help my putting game.I try to play it at least ever other day.
Kudos also to Dan Beato with is driving technique as seen on youtube.I went out and practiced it over and over and even though I still have a ways to go my drive distance has increased around 50 to 70 feet! Believe me that is a fantastic improvement for me!

Because of my work schedule I can only play on the weekends, but I do like to go practice once a week in an open field about a block from my home. The town owns the property, but the city employees the the cops see me out there all the time and don't say anything. Actually the whole town has seen me out there since the field is on a very busy road. I get recognized all over the place and the"guy in the field throwing frisbees".

I take my portable basket with me and work on my putts. I also put down cones marking off distances and check to see how far I can throw my putter, mids and drivers. I also try left hand shots, right hand shots, and with the trees at the edge of the field, I practice shooting from behind trees. That way when that situation comes up at the course, I know what to do and what disc to use. I also always hit the field with a new disc, before I take it to the course. At the course you are limited to how many shots you can take, but at the field you can throw all day with out getting in anyone way.

I love to practice. Its a great way to be alone, and really think about your game with out the pressure of playing the course.

Me and the guys I work with throw drives in a field behind work on our lunch break usually 30-50 drives 3 days a week

We don't have room to throw at work, but me and a couple of guys are close enough to a course to squeeze in 9 holes during lunch. We usually do this 2-3 days a week. Plus we get off work early on Friday and usually play 18-36 after work then.

I must say that using that perfect putt 360 is probably the best thing I have done to help my putting game.

Absolutely! PP360 is awesome, and has really helped my putting too.

Actually the whole town has seen me out there since the field is on a very busy road. I get recognized all over the place and the"guy in the field throwing frisbees".

I also put down cones marking off distances and check to see how far I can throw my putter, mids and drivers.

That is really awesome, I bet you are somewhat of a celebrity in your town. It gives the sport some added exposure as well, who knows, maybe people that see you play will take an interest.

I haven't started marking off distances yet, but that is a good idea. I guess I judge distance based off what I've learned from playing on the local courses.

That is really awesome, I bet you are somewhat of a celebrity in your town. It gives the sport some added exposure as well, who knows, maybe people that see you play will take an interest.

I haven't started marking off distances yet, but that is a good idea. I guess I judge distance based off what I've learned from playing on the local courses.

I got 300ft tape measure on Craigslist for $10 and I got soccer cones from Walmart for next to nothing.

I just went and played 27, then half an hour of driving practice on an open hole, and finally about 20 minutes of putting practice til it got too dark to see the basket. The practical practice is good but I do see more improvement from hitting an open field for a while and becoming more familiar with my discs and form before its go time.

We have one of those little measuring wheel devices at work, I may have to borrow that this week and get some ballpark measurements in the little park where I practice.

i'd like to make a trip out to the local highschool and practice drives on the football field to see how far i can actually get, but i'm never sure when it's not in use.

otherwise, i'll toss a few practice putts before a round, but that's it.

i'd like to make a trip out to the local highschool and practice drives on the football field to see how far i can actually get, but i'm never sure when it's not in use.

otherwise, i'll toss a few practice putts before a round, but that's it.

Sometimes when you do that and actually measure your drives, you may be suprised by what you see.

practice makes perfect

I don't really have a field to go throw in, so I usually practice drives by throwing multiple drives on days, when the course is empty (i.e. I am not holding anyone up), but I can practice shots under 100 feet in my yard by using the trees as targets and obstacles. This has really helped my putting and short approach game. I usually only practice this way for about an hour or 2 a week, but you would be surprised by how much it helps get your form down, and helps you learn how far each disc will go. Since all but one or two holes at each course are under 350 feet, I usually make my second shot from within 100 feet. This extra practice time has already taken nearly 4 strokes off of my averages.

At work I can throw across the parking lot into small grass area with a couple of trees, which are right at 220 feet from my parking spot. On fridays, when everyone usually leaves early, I usually spend an hour working on my approaches before leaving early to get in a round or two. Once again, it has really helped me improve my form, and figure out which discs work best for me.

I have started to surpass my longer driving friends in scoring simply because they refuss to practice their putting and approaches. I have two friends you can drive 400 feet and land within 20 feet of the basket, but take 2 puts to get it in. With putting like that I can easily keep up with them on the long holes, and get enough birdies on the short holes to easily outscore them (one of them by usually 6 strokes)

I don't really have a field to go throw in, so I usually practice drives by throwing multiple drives on days, when the course is empty (i.e. I am not holding anyone up), but I can practice shots under 100 feet in my yard by using the trees as targets and obstacles. This has really helped my putting and short approach game. I usually only practice this way for about an hour or 2 a week, but you would be surprised by how much it helps get your form down, and helps you learn how far each disc will go. Since all but one or two holes at each course are under 350 feet, I usually make my second shot from within 100 feet. This extra practice time has already taken nearly 4 strokes off of my averages.

At work I can throw across the parking lot into small grass area with a couple of trees, which are right at 220 feet from my parking spot. On fridays, when everyone usually leaves early, I usually spend an hour working on my approaches before leaving early to get in a round or two. Once again, it has really helped me improve my form, and figure out which discs work best for me.

I have started to surpass my longer driving friends in scoring simply because they refuss to practice their putting and approaches. I have two friends you can drive 400 feet and land within 20 feet of the basket, but take 2 puts to get it in. With putting like that I can easily keep up with them on the long holes, and get enough birdies on the short holes to easily outscore them (one of them by usually 6 strokes)

I am sure that somewhere in your town there is a football field or a Soft ball field you can use.

I must say that using that perfect putt 360 is probably the best thing I have done to help my putting game.I try to play it at least ever other day.
Kudos also to Dan Beato with is driving technique as seen on youtube.I went out and practiced it over and over and even though I still have a ways to go my drive distance has increased around 50 to 70 feet! Believe me that is a fantastic improvement for me!

Yea the dan beato video is a main stay for me. I put it on my favorites on my youtube account so i can watch it when ever I want and access it easily. As far as practice I wish i had more time too do it. I do try to go to a field or like saturday morning I went to the longest hole on a local course, since no one was playing, and just started to let them rip concentrating on form. I actually surpassed the 300" mark fpr the first time since i have playing and that was with a sore arm so hopefully when my elbow gets better i can hit the 350' mark.