• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

practice, practice, ........practice?

crawdad

What is your practice routine? I hear alot of people mention practice, but what does that mean exactly? Do you just empty your bag from the tee, do you drab all your putters and putt away at a basket, or do you have another method?

This may seem like a trivial post, but I've played/coached soccer since the late 70's. I know how to practice for that sport. For a time, I played ball golf (prior to marriage and kids when I could afford it). I would get a bucket of balls and swing away at the range.

I'm looking for ways to better my game and I would like input from you more experienced players. What do you do to pratice?

Thank you for your help.

Right now I am basically doing 2 things to practice.

Putting: I am doing the Pozzy'z Putting Game with the adjustments as I posted here: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295

Driving and Approach shots: I take either driving or approach discs and throw the first one at what ever distance I want to practice at. Then I try throwing the next few and land them close enough to the first one so that I can pick them up within one step of the orignal. I guess you could use a hula-hoop if you wanted, but I figure why haul anything extra if you don't need to.

That is all I do for practice right now.

:cool: BEFORE A ROUND: I do the putting thing and 5 approach discs out and 5 back if time.

For putting practice I have a basket. I step off four paces and take four shots at it. Then if I make them all I do the same thing from five paces away and then from six. So I have to make 12 straight putts before I can quit.

For driving practice I go to the soccer field and work on my form.

Just make sure that you practice correct habits so that you don't reinforce bad practices. Just doing anything, but doing the wrong thing is worse than not practicing at all.

Try to make it fun and add elements that simulate the mental aspect of the sport.

FWIW, my overall approach is...
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Emphasis: Putting 50%, Approaches 30%, Drives 20%

I just uploaded some practice and game files to DG Resources. Look in the Files section under "Practice & Games".

Personally, I enjoy practice the most when I can make a game out of it. I set a scoring goal and then try to improve my scores. I like to keep it fun. When I enjoy it I keep doing it.

There's a pretty good game for practicing both approaches and putts with one game, but you have to find an empty course.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't practice. I have a basket but have not gotten it out in a while. I am sure I would be better if I did but I just don't seem to have the time or inclination. Even when I go to a course to play usually the 1st shot I throw is my tee shot on #1.

While out playing and practicing today, I came up with a simple game for my driver and approach shots so this practice can be more focussed and fun.

MIND YOUR STEP

Throw your first disc out to what ever distance you want to practice on.

Then you should have 4 other discs.* Throw those trying to land on top of your first disc thrown. When you go to pick them up, just pace off each one and keep a total count of how many steps it takes to go from each disc to the original disc and that is your score.

Now the goal is to do it again and try to beat your first score by getting a smaller number of total steps. If your last step is not a full step, do not count it.

* You can use all the same brand and type of discs so they throw the same and you can master that disc faster. Or for a bigger challenge, throw different styles discs to get you to focus on their different flight patterns and weights.

I only practice my drives but should practice my putts. There is a big open, mowed field (500 ft+) near my house that I go to for practicing my drives. I bring all my drivers out, about 20, pick out a spot to throw from and using a measuring wheel mark off every 50ft with cones starting at about 250 ft and going up to 375. I then just grab a driver, be it overstable, stable, or understable and try to throw it as straight and long as I can. I've added 50 ft on to my top drives in the last year by practicing every week.

After I started hitting the practice field , my game really improved. I have a practice basket, and I also have a 300ft tape measure, and I have Soccer cones, ( you can get them at Walmart cheap). I lay out the cones every 20 ft from 0-300ft. I use them to measure my max distance on my Drivers, midrange, and putters. Plus, I practice my putting from different distances.

I look at it this way:

The course is not the place to practice, its the place to use what you have learned on the practice field.

I try to practice at least once a week. I have an empty lot about a block from here that is about 400ft by 250 ft. A baseball field also works great.

I just uploaded some practice and game files to DG Resources. Look in the Files section under "Practice & Games".

Bro, that is a great list of games. There is lots to learn from and tons of fun stuff. Thanks so much for taking the time to do it!

Marv Vega & Midnightbiker,

That cone thing just might be the ticket. My drives are not very far compared to others. I do throw fairly accurate, but would love to add some distance to them. Especially since my main course is so long campared to the other courses in the area. Thanks for this great tip! *getting the cash out and heading to Wally World* ;)

[...]I also have a 300ft tape measure
At least for me, I've found that in a pinch, pacing off distances to work extremely well. In the experiments I've done I'm within three paces at 100 yards.

ERic

Marv Vega & Midnightbiker,

That cone thing just might be the ticket. My drives are not very far compared to others. I do throw fairly accurate, but would love to add some distance to them. Especially since my main course is so long campared to the other courses in the area. Thanks for this great tip! *getting the cash out and heading to Wally World* ;)

You're welcome, it's a great way to work on your distance. I space them the cones every 25ft, before I bought a measuring wheel I'd just pace the distance off. Usually I throw about 60 drives, 40 backhand and the remaining 20 or so forehand, with my left arm, and tomahawk etc. Good luck!

At least for me, I've found that in a pinch, pacing off distances to work extremely well. In the experiments I've done I'm within three paces at 100 yards.

ERic

For me 3 paces = 8 ft., so 112 paces = 300 ft. (I'm 6' 1")

I very rarely practice drives for distance. For accuracy I throw at a telephone pole that is just out of my range. I do 2 separate drills. First I throw full force and try to get the discs to land as close to directly between me and the basket as possible. I will try several approaches, Hyzer, Annie, and big S turns. The key is to keep a small angle between your line to the pole and the line to your disc. Next drill is a little more subjective. I throw a line drive righ at the pole and see how far I can get it before it tails off.

For putting practice I will start at around 15' and throw 5 then I back upr 5' (even if I miss one) and I keep going till I miss a come back putt. I figure thats my go for it distance. Then I move back in 5' and keep going till I get 5 in a row.

Latest posts