• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pre round warmups & stretches

Kevdude82

Par Member
I'm curious as to what other peoples routines are before a round. I generally do a good deal of throwing arm stretches, stretch the legs, putt for about 15 minutes or so, then field throw for about the same time. What specific stretches do you do on your arm? I feel like I'm doing the right ones to warm up & loosen the right muscles, yet I feel sore for a day or two after playing 18. I know I have bad technique & form, and I am working hard at changing that, so I feel that may be the culprit. Anyways, any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

I'm curious as to what other peoples routines are before a round. I generally do a good deal of throwing arm stretches, stretch the legs, putt for about 15 minutes or so, then field throw for about the same time. What specific stretches do you do on your arm? I feel like I'm doing the right ones to warm up & loosen the right muscles, yet I feel sore for a day or two after playing 18. I know I have bad technique & form, and I am working hard at changing that, so I feel that may be the culprit. Anyways, any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

No offense but I'm guessing you may just be out of shape -- you really shouldn't be sore after one round. I do some hanging type arm stretching, toe touches, 30 or so warm up throws, and 5-10 mins of putting. Usually I don't get very sore unless playing 72 holes in a day.

Do you always start with stretching before any throws? I typically do some 50-80% power throws before any stretching. You'll get more benefit from stretching a warm muscle, rather than stretching first thing when you're cold.

Also, if it's soreness you're most concerned about, try stretching after the round as well. Warm-ups and stretching before the round help to improve your performance and reduce risk of injury. In my experience, stretching during the cool down period will help to prevent soreness and stiffness--and it makes warming up for your next round easier.

Old guy here. I do about 15 minutes of leg and arm stretches, then 20-30 putts and a couple of light throws off the first tee.

Which stretches? Remnants of the regimen I followed after knee and shoulder surgeries. Don't know if they're right, but they're the ones I do. If nothing else, my surgeries have held together.

I do them cold, because I'm so brittle these days that I'll hurt myself warming the muscles if I don't stretch first. But I start lightly. And, yes, I know that's the wrong way to do it.

I shortcutted this last February, rushing because the days were finally long enough to squeeze in a round after work, and sidelined myself for six weeks. So now I'm sticking to it. If I would buckle down and stretch when I'm not playing---say, watching TV---I'd be much better off.

Never stretch before playing! Do a dynamic warm-up before..get a sweat going. Stretch after you play.

No offense but I'm guessing you may just be out of shape -- you really shouldn't be sore after one round. I do some hanging type arm stretching, toe touches, 30 or so warm up throws, and 5-10 mins of putting. Usually I don't get very sore unless playing 72 holes in a day.
None taken. I'm in shape, for the most part. I only play once a week at the very most. Maybe it's because I'm not playing/throwing more regularly?

I putt for 5-10 minutes, and throw about 10-20 times along with doing a few basic stretches. I am sore a little bit most days but I have been putting in around 100 puts and at least 50 throws on most days (still trying to nail down my form). I'm 30, 6' and weigh 240 definitely not in the best shape but I can run a lap or two without dying.

It is indeed.

I've been working with a guy whose bad form actually left a big dark bruise on his arm.

Bad form can wreck ya.
That's what I'm afraid of. The injuries that can come due to bad form. My gameplan during the winter, and springtime is to put as much time in as I can on field practice and form work. Can't enjoy the game if I sustain an injury, right?

My pre tourny routine is to get to the course super early. I run the course with a few discs. I play a round and then i go do registration. If my card is ready i head to my hole and putt/ run around doing upshots/ jump putts. Important to warm up the overhand too.

Otherwise, even after four rounds, im not sore besides my hips. I dont ever really sit down, so i have good endurance.

Best of luck on the form issues!

My pre tourny routine is to get to the course super early. I run the course with a few discs. I play a round and then i go do registration. If my card is ready i head to my hole and putt/ run around doing upshots/ jump putts. Important to warm up the overhand too.

Otherwise, even after four rounds, im not sore besides my hips. I dont ever really sit down, so i have good endurance.

Best of luck on the form issues!
Thanks! love all the advice everyone, thank you!

Stretching is extremely important. It helps prevent injuries and will help your game. Sometimes I get lazy and just go out and throw but then I always regret it. There are different ways to stretch, but after trial and error I have learned that you really have no business out on the course until you do three sets of these stretches...

crazy-mobility-of-hips.jpg

What specific stretches do you do on your arm? I feel like I'm doing the right ones to warm up & loosen the right muscles, yet I feel sore for a day or two after playing 18. Thanks!

It's not impossible your stretches are causing the soreness. You might try going through your routine and not playing a round, to check.

None taken. I'm in shape, for the most part. I only play once a week at the very most. Maybe it's because I'm not playing/throwing more regularly?
That is the reason. When you don't use the specific muscle combinations used to throw except to throw once a week they will continually be sore after each overuse. Try to mix in a field day during the week and see how that helps.

And yes, dynamic warm up is where it is at. Do not do cold stretching.

Upper Body - PVC Pass-thrus are very good for your shoulder mobilty and getting a good reachback.
If you have the mobilty to do it, 1.Throw a towel over your left shoulder. 2.Grab the towel behind your back with your right hand. 3.Pull the towel and hence your hand up your back while keeping your right shoulder relaxed and your hand over on the left side of your back. You can Pull the towel behind your back up and down on both sides for a very nice stretch.
One I like for the wrists is to sit on the ground and put your palm flat on the ground and face your fingers towards you. This will really loosen up the muscles around the wrist and get you some good flexability there.
For the chest I like to place an outstretched arm against a wall or tree or whatever is around and lean forward with that shoulder. You should feel a stretch in your chest when you lean forward.

Lower body - Pretty simple for me. Pigeon stretch, Pike Stretch, Spidermans, and wall calf stretch.
If you are having lower back pain, stiffness or soreness, just get in as low of a squatted postion as you can and it will work wonders on you lower back and mobility.

No stretching for me. Casual rounds i just throw 2 on the first hole. For tourneys, I play a few holes and putt for about 10 minutes before the round.

Do you always start with stretching before any throws? I typically do some 50-80% power throws before any stretching. You'll get more benefit from stretching a warm muscle, rather than stretching first thing when you're cold.

Also, if it's soreness you're most concerned about, try stretching after the round as well. Warm-ups and stretching before the round help to improve your performance and reduce risk of injury. In my experience, stretching during the cool down period will help to prevent soreness and stiffness--and it makes warming up for your next round easier.

^This.

Also, as an older ProGM, I really need to loosen up my hips, glutes, and hammies or I can't get through my drives very well and saw everything off. Advil/IBU helps to get me loose combined with stretching. I take a couple 200s pre and post rounds.

I like to stretch my shoulder on the way to tourneys. I use the back of the passenger seat and the roof of my Tacoma as leverage. When I get to the course, I like to hang from a tree limb too. Combining these upper and lower body stretches improves my game a lot.

Latest posts