• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pre-throw stiffarming.

agree with a routine -- just never knew the reason so many people did this. To me it seemed counter-intuitive. But whatever floats your boat...

Here is my routine:

1. step up on the back of the tee pad.
  2. Slow step to the front of the tee pad looking down the fairway determining my line.
  3. Clear the plant foot area of debri.
  4. Shuffle to the back of the pad, cleaning the bottom of my shoes.
  5. Align my front foot and adjust my weight to find my balance point on my front foot.
  6. Look up and check my line again.
  7. Align my body to the release angle (lean more forward or backward).
  8. Mentally tell myself to start slow and accellerate through the pull, stay forward/balanced, and follow through.
  9. Then I start my first step.

I don't aim my disc but I do go thru my throwing motion at the front of the tee a few times before walking back and starting my approach. Some players have told me it doesn't make sense for me to do this because my practice "swings" aren't exactly the same as my real throwing motion. But that's not what I'm doing.

I do this so I know where to aim my back before I pull thru with my shot. (If that makes sense) What this does for me is help eliminate grip lock, or what looks like grip lock but is really just not being lined up correctly for the release line I need for that shot.

I step onto the teepad, then I throw it. I suck though, so don't do what I do.

Odd, but effective?

I don't do this; but my son has done it for years and has recently started to out-drive me and my buddies. Maybe I should start doing it also? lol. I guess if he thinks it helps or its just a ritual that he's use to doing before throw, who am I to judge? Its definitely working for him. I've noticed he only does it at teepads

Routine

Also, I know a girl who clears her throat before every drive, "ahh-'hemm", just like that. If she rushes and doesn't do it, her throw is horrible. Strange, but I think they're just more comfortable with a routine before throw

this is what i'm refering to: (not to pick on holly, but this is the first one i noticed)

attachment.php

I walk to the front of the box, find the focal point that I'm aiming at, I hold the disc there, angle it properly, then walk backwards to my starting point on the box.

This is my style, it works great for me. Who cares what it looks like?

No pre-throw stiffy[PTS] for me, but I do swing my arm just before my x-step from hanging vertically at my side to forward/release height/disc horizontal, and as I x-step it loads to the back like an arrow in a bow. Including addressing the tee, we're talking 7-10 seconds.
The worst I've seen was a woman in Boise, who would PTS forward for a few seconds, then rotate to put the disc in loaded position and look 180* from the fairway for a few seconds, and do this 5-6 times before she actually threw. At least 30 seconds for every shot doing this, and she couldn't beat a 10 yo noob.

Ooooh! PTSD---Pre-Throw Stiffarm Disorder! :D:p

Last edited:
I walk to the front of the box, find the focal point that I'm aiming at, I hold the disc there, angle it properly, then walk backwards to my starting point on the box.

This is my style, it works great for me. Who cares what it looks like?

i don't think anybody is criticizing appearance when anybody does this. I never understood why people do it, but now I do. To each their own.

Many athletes use some type of ritual, motions, etc. as a aid in focussing and or visualizing what ever action they are about to attempt. It may look silly to others but if it helps their game who cares what others think.

i do something similar on my putts. I like to hold my disc up at where I want my disc to go and basically create a line. Sometimes even closing my left eye as if I'm looking down a scope of a gun.

I think lots of people do it on their putts[and yes, I point my putter :D], and the same # like to wag their discs back and forth like Sergio Garcia used to wag his putter.

tell me why some players hold their arm stiff and straight out pointing down the fairway before throwing... like they're aiming and lining up their release. Typically, the people i see do it, hold their disc eye level, which is nowhere near where they are intending on releasing.

I've always wondered why and if it really does any good. My knee jerk reaction is no, since A) the hand is not typically in the same position at the hit point, and B) neither is the player's body.

Many athletes use some type of ritual, motions, etc. as a aid in focussing and or visualizing what ever action they are about to attempt. It may look silly to others but if it helps their game who cares what others think.

I think the OP and Old Dog are both right. Its no physical advantage, but it certainly can help with the mental game.
I also think its a ploy to manipulate the opponent psychologically, like Babe Ruth pointing out his shot, only every time. :\

Gets your body in a routine, just like shooting a free-throw in basketball, people do some wired stuff, but if it works, it works!

I found myself doing this when I was lining up a stand-still anny shot. I don't do it when I line up other stand-still (or any run up) lines.

there was this young kid on the mn majestic lead card at kaposia who would hold his putter like that for no less than 20 seconds, then suddenly putt. no waggle or arm motion at all. Dave and Cale were kinda snickering about the style, but dood was bangin em all day. I replicate it sometimes when I'm playing with friends, to see how long I can hold the disc up before they talk ****.