• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Preparation before a 18-hole disc golf.

WBHuber

I know this post may sound corny, but, generally, health is something that we guys have to look after for next 30 to 50 years. I am positive that I'd continue to disc golf until my legs give away at some old age.

First of all, to disc golf requires hiking and "frisbeeing" types of exercises that many of us who do this sport would benefit health-wise. I love the aches and soreness in muscles that come from two 18-hole rounds of disc golfing. Yet, I am wary of what this could have caused to my throwing arm in a long term. So, this brings me to ask you a question that someone out there may know the answer:

What do you do to warm up your throwing arm? Are there some kind of specific stretching methods to prevent injuries such as tendinitis, pulled muscle, or some kind of potential shoulder complication? Your input would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to disc golf when I'm wearing dentures and bringing a walking cane. :D

Stretching your legs, shoulders and back after you arrive at the course is mando! Hamstring and groin muscles are critical to your throwing and navigating. Toe touches, lunges (front and side) are good to warm up the legs and back. Stretch your shoulders by doing windmills and reaching your arms across your body while gently twisting the back. Do these while warming up at the practice basket or in the parking lot before you start. You'll be able to tell when you're ready.

Tendons and ligaments can be strengthened with low weight/high rep exercises accompanied by, you guessed it, more stretching. Basic core exercises like sit-ups, leg lifts, back-ups (sit-ups on your stomach) will help avoid injuries too.

In the short run you may look a little crazy doing all this but you will laugh last when you head out from the nursing home for your daily round of disc golf.

it has actually been proven that stretching before doing a physical activity does not actually prevent injury - however, you should warm up slowly, which can be done with stretching, light tosses, slow jogging, etc.

stretching in general should be done every day to prevent injury, even if you do not do anything physical that day - it is also important to stretch after doing a physical activity

I would say the one motion in disc golfing that needs ABSOLUTE stretching is a full power thumber/tomahawk.

I was throwing these the other day with deadly accuracy and a young kid came up and asked me to show him. I stressed to him to start slow and warm up that motion otherwise he prob is going to end up tearing something.

There might not be many who agree with me, but I don't stretch. Not before distance running, and certainly not before throwing a round or two. I suspect that stretching actually makes me more injury prone (purely subjective).

There might not be many who agree with me, but I don't stretch. Not before distance running, and certainly not before throwing a round or two. I suspect that stretching actually makes me more injury prone (purely subjective).

HA! This is what I do. Nothing! I played soccer for years and only stretched my groin on rainy days.

Latest posts