• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Pro Shryke

Majicmarkr

I was at a Play It Again today and saw a few Pro Shrykes. I bought one. The weather is terrible so I don't know when I'll throw it. I didn't think Innova made these so I'm curious about them. Can anyone fill me in on how a Pro Shryke flys in comparison to the other plastics. Is Innova making these in Pro plastic now?
I have star and G-Star Shrykes so I'm familiar with the mold. I love Pro plastic in other molds so I'm excited to try it.

I was at a Play It Again today and saw a few Pro Shrykes. Is Innova making these in Pro plastic now?

Yes. I picked one up with funny money yesterday just see what it does. While I like Pro plastic, the last two drivers I bought in it, Tern and Katana, were not good flyers. I hope to gets some throws in with mine today.

I got a lighter weight Pro Shryke. Took it to the range today. It flew well for me on a cold day, especially into the wind (300 ft.). The Pro plastic felt pretty good, the grip was good. My I-blend Pharaoh, which is Shryke-"ish", also flew very well. I might bag either one when it gets warmer this Spring.

Yes. I picked one up with funny money yesterday just see what it does. While I like Pro plastic, the last two drivers I bought in it, Tern and Katana, were not good flyers. I hope to gets some throws in with mine today.

I have a love/hate relationship with pro plastic drivers (mostly hate). Pro plastic bombs. There's no denying it. I've had a few good pro drivers through the years that flew massively. I remember throwing a pro Orc well over a decade ago that was BY FAR the longest damn thing I'd ever seen. It would blow past every other driver I had and glide for days. The same could be said when the pro Starfire came out. Even the pro Wraith was very long.

However, I'm not a fan of the plastic. Its the type of plastic that seems to stop flying properly after a while (becomes overly flippy). This despite the disc showing no obvious signs of wear. The first Wraith I ever got into a was a pro, and it eventually stopped flying well for no real reason. I've thrown a few pro Destroyers and Katanas over the years. Not horribly impressed. I mean, they were OK, but nothing astounding.

I can't even really imagine what a pro Shryke would do. It would have great glide and be long, but super understable. Use it for a month and it would probably become too flippy to do anything at all with. I've never seen a pro Tern either, but I imagine its much the same.

Pro plastic is not as good as it used to be imo , I bag an pro d and it flies great good grip, and now pro plastic feels slick

I have a love/hate relationship with pro plastic drivers (mostly hate). Pro plastic bombs. There's no denying it. I've had a few good pro drivers through the years that flew massively. I remember throwing a pro Orc well over a decade ago that was BY FAR the longest damn thing I'd ever seen. It would blow past every other driver I had and glide for days. The same could be said when the pro Starfire came out. Even the pro Wraith was very long.

However, I'm not a fan of the plastic. Its the type of plastic that seems to stop flying properly after a while (becomes overly flippy). This despite the disc showing no obvious signs of wear. The first Wraith I ever got into a was a pro, and it eventually stopped flying well for no real reason. I've thrown a few pro Destroyers and Katanas over the years. Not horribly impressed. I mean, they were OK, but nothing astounding.

I can't even really imagine what a pro Shryke would do. It would have great glide and be long, but super understable. Use it for a month and it would probably become too flippy to do anything at all with. I've never seen a pro Tern either, but I imagine its much the same.

It seems that Pro Changed formula once the R-Pro came on the market and was not as durable as it once was but was still usable as I have a Shark in that plastic some of the last of that era of late 2008-mid 2014.

I never liked the newest pro the stuff after Innova stopped making Pro in mid 2014 until the plastic came back out a few years later in 2016 or 2017. This newest Pro after 2016 or 2017 to me is not good as a Pro due to so much variation that is in the plastic, worse then R-Pro with R-Pro just having some floppy issues the Pro can have floppy to extra slick issues even some problems with the glossy layer being messed up on a disc that is just when disc is new and not thrown being in a store.

Some of the new Pro is not bad if one finds the plastic is basically the same as Echo Star or it has the extra durability of the gloss to feel like a bad run very soft Star they are not bad but to hunt down a disc like this in the store by feeling up all the disc of a mold to see which is the Echo Star like disc or which is like the Very Soft Star is not worth it and often enough that disc is not in the weight you want.

To me it is not worth it to hunt for a disc in the right kind of newest Pro as the veraiation of the plastic is all over the map.

R-Pro one is more then likely going to find a disc in the right plastic they want unless a goof up happened with newest versions of R-Pro for a mold of disc and all of the discs in that mold are a G-Star type of floppy unless looking for that in an uphill/downhill putter. Somehow at end of 2017 a bunch of floppy R-Pro Pole Cats all 172-175 grams got sold from my local Walmart as I suspect the person bought the discs for either a dog or for an uphill/downhill putter as they use a Pole Cat as main mold and/or they wanted the disc as an approach disc.

flatter than Star
less HSS than Star
Seems to be a tad faster (likely cause flatter)

I haven't had many throws with my Pro Shryke yet but it may be less stable than I was really hoping for...proper spring/summer testing will determine that.

I may have to look at the I-blend Pharoah...as a more HSS "Pro Shryke"

Beautiful day today, sunny, warming up a bit, and not much wind, just a bit of breeze springing up from time to time. So I took drivers to the range.

My 146g Starlite Boss, which I've had for years, was getting the most distance for me. But it's super-flippy at times. The good news is that my 150g Pro Shryke was the next-longest disc; I was getting 300+ feet of distance and reasonable accuracy (it wasn't all over the place like the Boss).

I also had my 159g I-blend Pharaoh , and it was getting good distance as well. I compared the two discs, and the Pro Shryke looks like it has an "L" wing bottom piece, while the Pharaoh's wing looked to be very slightly more curved with that 'hanging' edge.. not quite a full 'X'-wing, but not the Shryke 'L'-wing. Anyone else observing this, or are your Shrykes and Pharaohs identical?

All in all, I'm liking this Pro Shryke. It's humiliating my Terns, making them look 'short' by comparison...

I bought a pair and didn't really like them. My favorites are the Splatter Shrykes that actually have some stability and while these Pros do have some nice glide, I was having trouble controlling them. Got a blue one at 171g if anyone wants to buy or trade.

Beautiful day today, sunny, warming up a bit, and not much wind, just a bit of breeze springing up from time to time. So I took drivers to the range.

My 146g Starlite Boss, which I've had for years, was getting the most distance for me. But it's super-flippy at times. The good news is that my 150g Pro Shryke was the next-longest disc; I was getting 300+ feet of distance and reasonable accuracy (it wasn't all over the place like the Boss).

I also had my 159g I-blend Pharaoh , and it was getting good distance as well. I compared the two discs, and the Pro Shryke looks like it has an "L" wing bottom piece, while the Pharaoh's wing looked to be very slightly more curved with that 'hanging' edge.. not quite a full 'X'-wing, but not the Shryke 'L'-wing. Anyone else observing this, or are your Shrykes and Pharaohs identical?

All in all, I'm liking this Pro Shryke. It's humiliating my Terns, making them look 'short' by comparison...

The starlite Boss is one of those discs that seems cool on paper. Throwing the disc is a whole other matter. The distance capability is there. I've thrown a couple of them for HUUUGGEEE distance. Extremely flippy. You need a lot of hyzer to make them fly. I found the starlite Boss to be more trouble than it was worth. Good for one 500' bomb followed by a litany of flips.

The starlite Boss is one of those discs that seems cool on paper. Throwing the disc is a whole other matter. The distance capability is there. I've thrown a couple of them for HUUUGGEEE distance. Extremely flippy. You need a lot of hyzer to make them fly. I found the starlite Boss to be more trouble than it was worth. Good for one 500' bomb followed by a litany of flips.

This. I don't get 500 ft. out of it (without an 'Iron McMahon' machine), but the Starlite Boss bombs. Gotta throw a hyzer flip every time, though. I threw what looked like a good throw, but then the disc started turning right and kept on going right, and into the Georgia pines on the side of the schoolyard. Tricky disc, but fun to watch if you hit it just right... :thmbup:

This. I don't get 500 ft. out of it (without an 'Iron McMahon' machine), but the Starlite Boss bombs. Gotta throw a hyzer flip every time, though. I threw what looked like a good throw, but then the disc started turning right and kept on going right, and into the Georgia pines on the side of the schoolyard. Tricky disc, but fun to watch if you hit it just right... :thmbup:

Its like throwing a paper plate. I'll occasionally mess with light bomber discs in the practice field, but they have no use on the course.

I don't throw rollers on the course, but I've thrown some long rollers with that starlite Boss. Even a casual flick of the wrist will get that thing to flip and roll.

The only way I can even get a full flight out of a starlite Boss is to hyzerflip it downwind. Done right it'll go as far as any disc out there.

I picked one up. It's a tailwind bomber for sure, and just flat-out humiliates the other drivers in the "far but flippy" category with insane glide. It seems a little less animated or twitchy than my G* ones, which tend to swing out to one side or the other depending on the throw. In comparison, it seems to stick to the line I throw it on, not wandering left or right. It's crazy straight for me.

(I usually throw 350-375' accurately, and 400' if I don't care where the disc comes down. This disc may have changed things a little for me, as it goes 400' on a dead straight line. I'm pretty danged happy.)

Went to the course today to try to get in a round before weather moved in. Took my Pro Shryke to throw for some testing and practice. Conditions were overcast but not much wind. The Pro Shryke flew great. It flew good lines, and was getting some huge (for me) distances. I'm looking forward to Spring...

+1 point for the Pro Shryke team.

Recent F2 purchase, 166g. It has no brakes.

That looks super domey. The 2 pro Shrykes I've thrown were fairly flat and unimpressive.

If you ever see a pro Corvette give that a try as well. The one I threw was really domey and incredible.