• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Pro Starfire is really an SL???

skippy0420

Eagle Member
Alright, so I have a Pro Starfire that I picked up when I began to play and realized that it's a bit too 'fast' for me as a beginner. My question is...

Is the PRO STARFIRE really an SL in disguise?

Thanks for the clarification.
I only asked because a friend and I played last weekend. He had an SL and they felt quite close when I threw them both but mine is still QUITE new...

For production Starfires, all Pros are SL's. The Stars either say "Star SL," which are SL's or "Star Starfire" which are Starfire-X's. AFAIK, all production Champions are Starfire-X's.

There are also CFR Starfires which could be one of three molds. I'm sure that one of the molds, the one that isn't in production in any plastic, is no longer available, but I'm not sure about the availability of the other two molds.

For production Starfires, all Pros are SL's. The Stars either say "Star SL," which are SL's or "Star Starfire" which are Starfire-X's. AFAIK, all production Champions are Starfire-X's.

There are also CFR Starfires which could be one of three molds. I'm sure that one of the molds, the one that isn't in production in any plastic, is no longer available, but I'm not sure about the availability of the other two molds.
The original Starfire mold is OOP. Too bad, it was a great disc. You can get both Champ Starfire X's and Champ Starfire L's through the CFR program.

How did the original Starfire mold fly compared to the other two?

What to buy

Ive been looking to buy a SL because it is more stable than the starfire, so if I buy a Pro Starfire, will it be an SL or a starfire? Or are there both, and i have to buy a Pro Starfire-L?
sorry, Im really confused about this, and don't want to waste money - poor college kid.

SL stands for Starfire Less Stable (I believe) and I have a much easier time using it over the Starfire. The starfire is way more overstable. I swear by the SL though. Highly recommend it, especially around 170-172g.

The "L" actually stands for "Longer"...I don't write this stuff, I just repeat it.

I went through the same realization just the other day. I throw a 175g Pro Starfire and a 171 Champ Starfire. I was floored when I read that the two were actually quite two molds. In retrospect they fly very differently.

The "L" actually stands for "Longer"...I don't write this stuff, I just repeat it.

Where'd you hear that?

I'd assume that the 'L' is for less overstable as that is the case with the TL and FL.

That's alright though because I met a local guy who swore that SL meant "stingray-leopard". lol

There is a long-standing rumor that the "L" stands for Leopard bottom. It's completely untrue but becasue all of the "L" molds are less stable and the Leopard is understable, a lot of people have put two and two together and came up with Leopard bottom.

Innova likes to promote the "L" molds as "Longer" becasue "Longer" will sell more discs than "Less Stable." In reality, they are both so whichever you use is cool.

The SL is NOT more stable than the starfire. It's less stable. A Pro Starfire will be an SL (read the first response to this thread).

The SL is NOT more stable than the starfire. It's less stable. A Pro Starfire will be an SL (read the first response to this thread).

Some people see the spectrum as: (Overstable) <> (Stable) <> (Understable)

Thus, a straighter disc than an "Overstable" one is more "Stable"
Less stable would mean "More Overstable" for an overstable disc

Straight from the website. Starfire is not listed with a PL mold. To the right if you click on the PL for the SL you will get the second pic.

I am still confused a bit but I like the disc either way......

Attachments

• chart.JPG
    chart.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Pro SL.JPG
    Pro SL.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 9
Its not that confusing.
Pro Starfire = Star/Champ SL.
Champ/Star/DX Starfire is a Starfire.

Latest posts