• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Pro Thunderbird, flying past all others

Here where we play in the rain and woods the combination of grip and durability is pretty popular. I don't see a lot of drivers in GStar but lots of mids and approach putters.

I can't recall anything specific, but I've seen posts where people claim it makes discs too understable. It doesn't seem to sell well either. Didn't Discmania stop producing discs in G-line? Or am I not remembering that correctly?

Either way, I rarely see people bagging gstar discs.

A guy I know has a old old G-Star Thunderbird made for the short time without flight numbers and with the patent numbers for the mold that if not for the Sticker he had to remove from the disc, would have been worth quite a bit for plastic when he found it even in the then 6/10 shape the disc was in.

I know Discmania dose not have a G-line anymore and a P-Line outside of putters.

A guy I know has a old old G-Star Thunderbird made for the short time without flight numbers and with the patent numbers for the mold that if not for the Sticker he had to remove from the disc, would have been worth quite a bit for plastic when he found it even in the then 6/10 shape the disc was in.

I know Discmania dose not have a G-line anymore and a P-Line outside of putters.

Forgot my brother has a G-Star limited run Gator for more appoach stuff hills where he his Metal flake Gator will not work.

Either way, I rarely see people bagging gstar discs.

My first two distance discs were GStar: A Daedalus (which turned out to be a first run, little did I know) and a Thunderbird. They're still both in my bag, and some of the most reliable I have.

Never understood why people don't use 'em.

Usually the conversation goes like this:
"Never see those on the Pro tour!"
"Never seen you there either, but I still play with you."

My first two distance discs were GStar: A Daedalus (which turned out to be a first run, little did I know) and a Thunderbird. They're still both in my bag, and some of the most reliable I have.

Never understood why people don't use 'em.

Usually the conversation goes like this:
"Never see those on the Pro tour!"
"Never seen you there either, but I still play with you."

Lol yea I agree. I haven't thrown a Daedalus but I assume I would want a more stable plastic for those. Maybe not though, you never know until you try.

Bagged my first Pro Thunderbird again for a few rounds. It is pretty well worn at this point. Thrown with hyzer it flips up and goes straight for good distance (so much glide!) but if not enough hyzer it turns to the right (RHBH) and doesn't have any fade left in it to come back. It's flying like 9 6 -3 0.

Bagged my first Pro Thunderbird again for a few rounds. It is pretty well worn at this point. Thrown with hyzer it flips up and goes straight for good distance (so much glide!) but if not enough hyzer it turns to the right (RHBH) and doesn't have any fade left in it to come back. It's flying like 9 6 -3 0.

Valkyrie comparison if possible?

Valkyrie comparison if possible?

It used to be comparable to a "typical" Valkyrie earlier in its life cycle with some turn but also some finish. Like a newer Pro Valkyrie or an older Champ Valkyrie that I used to throw. Now it actually flies a lot like my current Star Roadrunner, except the Roadrunner will finish a bit.

Thread bump because Pro Thunderbirds are just fantastic. Easy, controllable distance with little break-in period. Innova has been putting out some Pro plastic lately and I'm hoping to see Thunderbirds very soon. Though the Pro Leopards and Wraiths I'm seeing are all domey which wouldn't be my preference for this mold.

Thread bump because Pro Thunderbirds are just fantastic. Easy, controllable distance with little break-in period. Innova has been putting out some Pro plastic lately and I'm hoping to see Thunderbirds very soon. Though the Pro Leopards and Wraiths I'm seeing are all domey which wouldn't be my preference for this mold.

How is the plastic? I loved the Pro of a year or two ago, great grip, pretty durable.

How is the plastic? I loved the Pro of a year or two ago, great grip, pretty durable.

Compared to the Pro I bought in 2020 it feels very similar. Maybe a little softer and grippier but I have such a limited number of the new stuff to go on. One thing that the new Pro seems to have had less shrinkage. Like how DX shrinks more and feels trimmer in the hand compared to Star, this batch feels more substantial compared to the Pro from 2020.

Overall I'm excited to get more as Pro is my favorite Innova plastic. I'm hoping they run the FD/Dark Rebel/Hawkeye in it because I've been a little disappointed in my Dark Rebels in Champion and Star. Of course I could only find them in max weight. :mad:

I throw Pro Thunderbirds. They have been really hard to come by the last 2 years but I buy them from used bins wherever possible. I'm primarily a hyzer flip thrower and they never turn over on me. They start pretty stable. I can flip newer ones into a head wind perfectly and beat ones in calm conditions. Definitely my favorite ThB plastic and my favorite Innova plastic overall.

Last year I cycled DX Thunderbirds as well for most driver shots. They were great and flew all lines in all stages of wear but it gets a little hard to keep track of. I still throw them in the bag for water courses and winter play and usually have a fresh one available.

I throw Pro Thunderbirds. They have been really hard to come by the last 2 years but I buy them from used bins wherever possible. I'm primarily a hyzer flip thrower and they never turn over on me. They start pretty stable. I can flip newer ones into a head wind perfectly and beat ones in calm conditions. Definitely my favorite ThB plastic and my favorite Innova plastic overall.

Last year I cycled DX Thunderbirds as well for most driver shots. They were great and flew all lines in all stages of wear but it gets a little hard to keep track of. I still throw them in the bag for water courses and winter play and usually have a fresh one available.
DX thunderbirds are nice flyers for sure but yeah they wear fast.

I once gave one away because it was "too straight". One of the dumber things I have ever done.

That's a terrible feeling haha. For some reason I had 3 freshies sitting on my shelf for a year without throwing them but picked them up again recently. Now they're my go-to driver in woods or open conditions. And they pair perfectly with a Champion version for windy conditions. I'll probably go nuts when I see them again because I don't sleep well if I don't have at least 6-8 of my favorite mold/plastic combo.

I have a seasoned Pro Thunderbird that has a -2/2 type of flight. It is better at being a Valkyrie than a lot of actual Valkyries I have thrown.

I have a seasoned Pro Thunderbird that has a -2/2 type of flight. It is better at being a Valkyrie than a lot of actual Valkyries I have thrown.

Since falling totally in love with Sidewinders, I have tried really hard to make Valks work with them. I can't. I just really think I don't like them. That's one reason I am mad about giving my pro thundy away. For now, an SPZ3 is going to try out for left of Sidewinder. Will get another Pro Thunderbird when I can.

Since falling totally in love with Sidewinders, I have tried really hard to make Valks work with them. I can't. I just really think I don't like them. That's one reason I am mad about giving my pro thundy away. For now, an SPZ3 is going to try out for left of Sidewinder. Will get another Pro Thunderbird when I can.

The SPZ3 from the 2020 Trilogy Challenge was a pretty nice disc. I still have two of them. A little more turn than the Thunderbird but finished stable. I might have to throw one back in the bag. I don't mind bagging a number of fairway drivers if they do something slightly different but useful.

Latest posts