• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Problems with multiple putting styles

azplaya25

Double Eagle Member
I'm sure we've all done this, I know I've switched putting styles about 3848283 times in the past year. I finally settled on a straddle pitch putt and I don't change it. I figure out how to make it work in the wind. If I'm outside my range or have a low ceiling I just throw an approach shot. I started doing this because having different putting styles really messed with my head and I'm so much more consistent with one routine.

It seems Nikko is going through this right now. He developed a spin putt, which was well documented when he hit the winning putt with a spin putt in the wind at the preserve. In the most recent tournament I watched, the announcers mentioned that he's switching between the spin and pitch putt based on "feel" and was even changing putters during the round. Here's the coverage: https://youtu.be/IdgyR7ghHnE

Check out 14:52 and 17:22. It seems he's really struggling with his putt and switching between styles without any rhyme or reason.

Do any of you make this work? Having different styles based on what feels good, or other factors?

Don't know about changing based on "feel" but it definitely helps having multiple styles to adapt to situations. My preferred putting style is a staggered stance "spush" putt, but straddle putts are important for when the lie dictates it. Similarly putts from a knee, jump putts, turbo putts, whatever you need for the situation.

It is like having multiple throws. Backhand, forehand, "patent pending" stance, tomahawks/thumbers, etc. The more throws you have developed, the better prepared you will be when the situation comes up.

Yes it may be ideal to focus on one, along the lines of the "practice one kick 10000 times." But there will be situations where being comfortable, competent, and confident with different styles will save strokes.

I agree with multiple options based on lie, kind of like scrambling, the more options you have the better. I just think it's important to have a consistent go to putt for just standard wide open 15-20 footers. I feel the same way about approach shots, it's good to have an upshot that is your default from say 150 and in, then other tools in your belt that come out when necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use multiple putting styles, and it is absolutely a result of adjusting to past putting woes. I've switched from push to spin so much that both feel pretty natural now lol.

There is nothing wrong with having multiple putting styles, but having multiple putting styles is usually a tell tale sign you are dealing with the yips.

I spush everything, but I adjust nose angle and hyzer angle based on what range I'm at.

-My "go to" putt for the range I find myself in most regularly, 15'-30', is a slightly nose down/slight anny release. Similar to a Ricky-style putt, but less exaggerated, less powerful, and obviously less good.
-Circle's edge putts I give more loft, and more nose down angle.
-40'+ I add a step through, switch to a more beat in putter, and release with more anny.
-Inside 15' I actually putt nose up with hyzer, so basically the exact opposite of all my other putts. I do this because I found myself missing 12'-15' putts at too high of a rate, probably because my preferred putting style takes a little bit of space to get up and back down again. So I counter that by aiming low and letting the nose up angle lift the disc over the cage and into the chains.

Like most people, I have switched putting styles many times. But that nose down/anny release is the most natural feeling, and I find myself making knee knocking 15-20 footers a lot more regularly this way. When I've switched to something else, it's always been due to the frustration of missing too many gimmees. Adding that nose up putt for inside 15' has helped me make the short ones, while using my preferred putting style for everytihng else.

I'm sure we've all done this, I know I've switched putting styles about 3848283 times in the past year. I finally settled on a straddle pitch putt and I don't change it. I figure out how to make it work in the wind. If I'm outside my range or have a low ceiling I just throw an approach shot. I started doing this because having different putting styles really messed with my head and I'm so much more consistent with one routine.

It seems Nikko is going through this right now. He developed a spin putt, which was well documented when he hit the winning putt with a spin putt in the wind at the preserve. In the most recent tournament I watched, the announcers mentioned that he's switching between the spin and pitch putt based on "feel" and was even changing putters during the round. Here's the coverage: https://youtu.be/IdgyR7ghHnE

Check out 14:52 and 17:22. It seems he's really struggling with his putt and switching between styles without any rhyme or reason.

Do any of you make this work? Having different styles based on what feels good, or other factors?

I am a classic straddle pitch putter, like Nikko and KJUSA. That's what they are gonna do most of the time. However, being as they are touring pros who only do disc golf, it behooves them to have a spin putt option on really windy situations. And they have the time to practice something new and add it to their arsenal while not abandoning their strength Nikko might have "switched based on feel" a couple times here and there for that event, but what you're gonna see is that he is a classic straddle pitch putter most of the time. A mitigating circumstance is what causes him (or KJ or any of us) to change. The spin putts at 17:22 were because of the wind. He would have done that at pretty much any distance there. He'd made his mind up before the round.

I personally prefer adjusting the angle if I can ... but there are windy situations when I feel forced to spin. It's VERY UNLIKELY you'll see either of them go to the spin putt at Idlewild -- unless something highly unusual happens.

Last edited:
I've switched to straddle spush putting as well...I really like the fact that it seems to remove the left or right element for me...most of my misses hit the pan or pole, or skip of the top. I finally dialed in a straddle pitch putt after watching Calvin in slow motion - I've been able to duplicate his straddle putting stroke for the most part, though sometimes I lose a feel for it and end up lobbing wounded ducks at the basket, so it'll take some work.

Here's Calvin's form:

Nikko seemed to have his two putting styles dialed in at the preserve...he just seemed less decisive/more yippy at this tourney. I know he's a fantastic putter, he just seemed to miss some easy ones at this tourney and I wondered it was due to losing confidence in one or both of his putting styles.

I've switched to straddle spush putting as well...I really like the fact that it seems to remove the left or right element for me...most of my misses hit the pan or pole, or skip of the top. I finally dialed in a straddle pitch putt after watching Calvin in slow motion - I've been able to duplicate his straddle putting stroke for the most part, though sometimes I lose a feel for it and end up lobbing wounded ducks at the basket, so it'll take some work.

Here's Calvin's form:

Nikko seemed to have his two putting styles dialed in at the preserve...he just seemed less decisive/more yippy at this tourney. I know he's a fantastic putter, he just seemed to miss some easy ones at this tourney and I wondered it was due to losing confidence in one or both of his putting styles.

This is exactly what I want to try to switch to myself. Maybe a hybrid Calvin/KJUSA. I think it will be easier for me to keep it more consistent. I like the idea of the straddle stance as I think it's easiest to repeat that stance consistently.

Biggest issue with straddle stance is tendency to snapping hip syndrome. Barry Shultz had to change to stagger for awhile. I also got it from straddle putting, I like straddle, but my body doesn't. KJUSA will likely have issue in the future. Calvin's hip motion is much more subdued, helps being that lanky.

Biggest issue with straddle stance is tendency to snapping hip syndrome.

Interesting, I did not know that. I had snapping band syndrome once, but that was from throwing sidearm. Nasty business, I thought I had dislocated my hip.

I normally putt inline (or nearly so), but straddle putt is useful for obstructed lies and long jump putts.

This is exactly what I want to try to switch to myself. Maybe a hybrid Calvin/KJUSA. I think it will be easier for me to keep it more consistent. I like the idea of the straddle stance as I think it's easiest to repeat that stance consistently.

One advantage of the straddle stance -- you nearly always have two options (straddle left or straddle right) and you rarely have a place on the course where your normal stance is uncomfortable. Stagger stance putters are forced to go straddled way more often than straddle stance putters are forced to go staggered. I learned that from an older pro many, many years ago.

Biggest issue with straddle stance is tendency to snapping hip syndrome. Barry Shultz had to change to stagger for awhile. I also got it from straddle putting, I like straddle, but my body doesn't. KJUSA will likely have issue in the future. Calvin's hip motion is much more subdued, helps being that lanky.

I control this issue by using the "crooked straddle" Find what our hips do when you screw up and always have the bad side slightly behind the good side.

One advantage of the straddle stance -- you nearly always have two options (straddle left or straddle right) and you rarely have a place on the course where your normal stance is uncomfortable. Stagger stance putters are forced to go straddled way more often than straddle stance putters are forced to go staggered. I learned that from an older pro many, many years ago.

Yep. I almost switched to just straddle putting full time. Using a more traditional stance I almost always find myself forced to straddle a few times a round either to get a look from behind an obstacle or because my lie doesn't allow room behind it for a normal stance. Although I seem to make a pretty high percentage of straddle putts it just isn't comfortable for me when I have to do it. If a guy were to just straddle putt everything he wouldn't have to change anything up on any of his putts.

I don't think I can think of a circumstance where you couldn't straddle putt but there are definitely times a straddle is your only option.

Latest posts