• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Problems with people taking your discs from the fairway and walking off

GBO last year. Someone took a kid's putter in downtown Emporia during the putting game where everyone throws at the basket from 30'. His dad pleaded in the middle of everyone. Eric Oakley was running it. He tried to shame, then bribe and ultimately they gave up with a "not cool guys." As far as I know, it was never returned. It was an awkward few minutes.

Other Side

I was on the other side of this kind of incident. I was playing a course with a buddy and some guy came up and asked if we had seen a disc he lost. We said no and he stood there for 10 seconds and then asked if he could look in our bags. Rather than be offended, we both said "Sure" and dumped out our bags in front of him. He lost a red disk and I only own two reds and my buddy one, so he quickly saw that we didn't have his. He mumbled "Sorry" and we told him that we were sorry he lost his disc also. Made me wonder if this was a big problem in that area - I haven't been through there since as it isn't close to either of our residences.

GBO last year. Someone took a kid's putter in downtown Emporia during the putting game where everyone throws at the basket from 30'. His dad pleaded in the middle of everyone. Eric Oakley was running it. He tried to shame, then bribe and ultimately they gave up with a "not cool guys." As far as I know, it was never returned. It was an awkward few minutes.

is there video of this

or could you provide moar details

this sounds painful

is there video of this

or could you provide moar details

this sounds painful

The thing was called Tunnel of Love. Everyone threw at the basket. Only those who made it would get their discs, and if you made 2 in a row, everyone else formed a 30' human tunnel to throw thru while we razzed them. It took several rounds to get a winner.

At some point, an 8 year old boy couldn't find his putter. Eric told everyone to confirm they didn't pick up the wrong disc. Then he said the game wouldn't continue until it was returned. Then the dad came out next to the basket and said "Seriously?!?!....it's his favorite putter...."

He stood there waiting for a good minute looking in the crowd while he shamed everyone while Eric kept saying "not cool" and "don't be that guy" on the microphone. I think Eric even offered a trade and no judgement to whoever took it. When that didn't work, the game continued. It was pretty painful.

A few minutes later one of the guys from the group comes over to the car and says: "You know I think we may have found your disc. But we thought it was orange, not yellow, that is why I said we didn't find your disc. I wasn't lying to you." I was so happy and relieved to know he found it. I said thank you so much for finding it. Then he said. "I don't have it anymore, I lost it." So I ask him where he lost it I can go back and look.

I did this during my first year of seriously playing. I found an orange monarch that had a name and number on it. I had not played in a year or so after loosing my first dx gazelle when I couldn't find a replacement locally (heartbroken), so I felt like a hero returning it. I had been texting this guy for a week about getting it back to him.

I only had a few discs at the time with plenty of room in my bag, so I just kept his disc in there. I was a torque monkey sidearm thrower then with an orange Max as my main driver. I was on a hole with thick prickers on both sides and reached down and grabbed my orange max (or so I thought) and watched as this guys monarch sailed as left and turned over as could be. Well, it flew about 200 feet deep into the prickly abyss. After about ten minutes of pitiful bushwhacking and only making maybe 30 feet in, I gave up and called him with the bad news. I felt like such a jerk, but he, much like you found it quite funny.

The thing was called Tunnel of Love. Everyone threw at the basket. Only those who made it would get their discs, and if you made 2 in a row, everyone else formed a 30' human tunnel to throw thru while we razzed them. It took several rounds to get a winner.

At some point, an 8 year old boy couldn't find his putter. Eric told everyone to confirm they didn't pick up the wrong disc. Then he said the game wouldn't continue until it was returned. Then the dad came out next to the basket and said "Seriously?!?!....it's his favorite putter...."

He stood there waiting for a good minute looking in the crowd while he shamed everyone while Eric kept saying "not cool" and "don't be that guy" on the microphone. I think Eric even offered a trade and no judgement to whoever took it. When that didn't work, the game continued. It was pretty painful.

amazing story

that would be quite the experience

thank you

This has happened to me a time or two. The most memorable time I can remember was when I threw a drive around a blind dogleg where two fairways slightly overlapped. The shot wasn't where it should have landed, which prompted me to ask a pair stoner teens nearby if they had picked up my disc. Of course, they had nabbed it. I don't think it was an intentional act as much as they were newbs that hadn't fully comprehended the situation that had unraveled in front of them.

Paco Sanchez

Here in Denver we have a course that seems to have problems with people stealing discs. Paco Sanchez park is near downtown. The course and park itself are nice/scenic. The problem is the homeless people who squat in the park. They do drugs, trash the place, and steal all sorts of discs. Numerous stories of people having discs stolen there. I've even heard about physical altercations when people forcibly try to get the discs back.

For as nice a course it is, this place is to be avoided at all costs. Its in a horrible part of town.

Somewhat unrelated, at another park they had a bad off leash dog problem. All sorts of dogs running around attacking other dogs and disrupting disc golf in general. The remedy? $999 fines with no warning. If that's what it takes to get people to leash their dogs at the DG courses, so be it.

Don't have this problem where I play. Surprised that it happens as often as it does judging from this thread.

Latest posts