• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy sues Gannon sues Prodigy

So GB is NOT under contract with Prodigy any more.

That is what is being debated. Gannon claims he isn't…gave his list of beefs, 30 day cure period passed and Prodigy didn't fix his complaints, so he's free and clear.

Prodigy is saying a majority of his beefs weren't actually in the contract, and they addressed the ones that were (two missing bonus payments and sales data). They're claiming he is still under contract because they satisfied the complaints within the 30 day cure period and are now suing for losses as a result of Gannon's premature announcement.

I haven't seen anything stating the contract included any kind of buy out clause. Gotta figure if it included one that pretty much would've settled any beef, like what happened with MVP and Discmania. Sorry we poached your guy but here's a lump of money.

General question: Does Prodigy have any products that are top sellers in their category at any point in a given year? OS Fairway? US Putter? Backpack bag?

If I can make up a category of "large capacity <$150 backpacks" I would bet that the Prodigy BP-1 would be the top seller anecdotally. (Though I would not recommend it!)

So GB is NOT under contract with Prodigy any more.

According to him...no. That's why there's no 30 day cure to "cure" his "contract breach" (in the minds of Prodigy obviously he breached). The 30 day cure is to fix issues prior to a side saying they are ending the contract. It would be nonsensical for Prodigy to say "you've breached the contract in these ways...cure the breach or we're going to terminate the contract" to someone who already said "I'm terminating the contract".

It would be like a lease saying both sides had to give 30 days notice before terminating the lease. If you're the tenant and you say "no notice, I'm out today, bye"...the landlord doesn't have to give you 30 days notice before renting out the place...you've already left and broken the lease.

That is what is being debated. Gannon claims he isn't…gave his list of beefs, 30 day cure period passed and Prodigy didn't fix his complaints, so he's free and clear.

Prodigy is saying a majority of his beefs weren't actually in the contract, and they addressed the ones that were (two missing bonus payments and sales data). They're claiming he is still under contract because they satisfied the complaints within the 30 day cure period and are now suing for losses as a result of Gannon's premature announcement.

I haven't seen anything stating the contract included any kind of buy out clause. Gotta figure if it included one that pretty much would've settled any beef, like what happened with MVP and Discmania. Sorry we poached your guy but here's a lump of money.

dmoore1998 said
There's no more 30 day cure period once either side says "I'm terminating this due to breach

I don't know whether or not he is correct. Either GB is under contract and has 30 days to make good (take down a video, whatever), or GB is no longer under contract *I would need help understanding any legal middle ground*.

According to reddit there is no buyout clause or any way to leave besides breach.

having little idea of the details involved, it's easy to come down on Prodigy as "victimizing the kid". but hell, some of us were working 30+ hours a week at 15 in the summer, and we kinda knew what we had or had not committed to. I wish Gannon well, but if he just messed up, maybe he just messed up. hopefully both sides learn from it....

having little idea of the details involved, it's easy to come down on Prodigy as "victimizing the kid". but hell, some of us were working 30+ hours a week at 15 in the summer, and we kinda knew what we had or had not committed to. I wish Gannon well, but if he just messed up, maybe he just messed up. hopefully both sides learn from it....
As a fan this is all way louder than my level of give a ****. Its important to kinda know about, and I'm curious about the outcome, but really considering what I've seen so far in the documents.... this whole thing does nothing to shift my thoughts on Gannon or Prodigy.

If there is no buy out clause for him, this is probably their way of getting paid.

Question is, who is going to pay Gannon and Prodigy to get him on their team?

Discmania? Lone Star?

Can't imagine Innova (or even Discraft) want to touch this mess.

Either way, you have to think that with the recent trend of players leaving contracts early that Gannon and his parents thought this would be easier.

General question: Does Prodigy have any products that are top sellers in their category at any point in a given year? OS Fairway? US Putter? Backpack bag?

Depends on where you dwell I think. In this area I see a ton of Prodigy's lower end bags- their price point is super attractive and they are solid bags. Also see a whole lot of A2's and/or A3's- while probably not as many as Zones still I would guess as many as anything other than a Zone for that slot. Lots of PA3's here too.

...but Prodigy has a strong presence here in sponsored pros and schmoes like me. I would guess Prodigy runs 4th in disc sales locally trailing Innova, Discraft, and maybe MVP.

I think both parties look bad (optics) with this dispute becoming public. I can't see how this helps GB in the long run. Seems the main complaint is about money. Spending this 2023 dealing with this is NOT going to improve his income potential this year and he's potentially reduced sponsorship interest once he is free to contract with a new company.

Obviously this isn't helping Prodigy's already suspect reputation.

Hopefully this will be a lesson learned for the industry--both players and companies will work to avoid significant and/or public conflicts. Probably not.

I think both parties look bad (optics) with this dispute becoming public. I can't see how this helps GB in the long run. Seems the main complaint is about money. Spending this 2023 dealing with this is NOT going to improve his income potential this year and he's potentially reduced sponsorship interest once he is free to contract with a new company.

Obviously this isn't helping Prodigy's already suspect reputation.

Hopefully this will be a lesson learned for the industry--both players and companies will work to avoid significant and/or public conflicts. Probably not.

Curious what you think the "money" in dispute is. There's the piece of him not being paid what he thinks he is owed under the contract...and the piece where he didn't renegotiate.

The latter seems less likely the thing if the story is accurate. Sounds like Prodigy offered more money, and Buhr didn't even bother responding.

If there is no buy out clause for him, this is probably their way of getting paid.

Question is, who is going to pay Gannon and Prodigy to get him on their team?

Discmania? Lone Star?

Can't imagine Innova (or even Discraft) want to touch this mess.

Either way, you have to think that with the recent trend of players leaving contracts early that Gannon and his parents thought this would be easier.

Oh yeah, I agree. Probably thought Prodigy would roll over and play dead, they didn't, so he went with airing of grievances hoping they'd roll over and play dead and they still didn't. Now he's painted himself into a corner.

Makes you wonder if sponsorship interest in him will subside if the court rules in favor of Prodigy.

Oh yeah, I agree. Probably thought Prodigy would roll over and play dead, they didn't, so he went with airing of grievances hoping they'd roll over and play dead and they still didn't. Now he's painted himself into a corner.

Makes you wonder if sponsorship interest in him will subside if the court rules in favor of Prodigy.

I would have loved to have seen Gannon with Prodigy for a long time. He and Gavin were big contributors in making Alden's channel the most entertaining of any of the pros (imo).

That being said he is on an extremely short list of players most likely to break through and win a World championship for the first time. Manufacturers are going to want him.

Apologies in advance. I got to beat the horse.

I don't think it really matters whether Prodigy is or isn't a top manufacturer. If Milwaukee's Best can claim it's a premium beer, Tesla can claim their cars are full self driving, and Fox News can claim to be fair and balanced, that tells me a brand has a lot of leeway in what they can claim.

That statement won't play any role in who comes out on top here. If there is some kind of settlement or a judgement in favor of Prodigy, than how "top" of a manufacturer they are will absolutely matter though. You'd think Prodigy's actual revenue and income (and how much of that they could successfully claim was due solely to Gannon) would be taken into consideration when damages are determined.

Maybe the better question is, who wouldn't ?

Yeah fair point, I have no dog in the fight, but this really limits who can sign him then.

He was/will sign with a bigger manufacturer, but that price just went up substantially if they have to buy this year out.

It's clear he didn't like his situation and contract after his breakout year and the big win.

He knew he could make more money elsewhere and with the added benefit of being on a trendier/cooler team.

Don't blame him for trying to strike while the irons hot, but maybe was a rushed decision when he got a substantial offer along with the already established issues he experienced with Prodigy.

If any of y'all are that fed up with Prodigy over this contract discrepancy I'll gladly buy any and all of your FX-2's from ya.

It's straight up a no win situation...

Question is... who loses worse?!?

Gannon has a whole career, he's young, he's hot, he may be hot headed. He needs to reign this in and not let a year ruin his career.

Prodigy is a corporation protecting their interests, they will still be making discs and don't need a "big pro", what they do need is consumers and a fan base. With no other major pro and some bad blood between them and a "minor" sponsored phenom. They put a lot of eggs in that basket and they need to minimize damage. Personally (and I have no dog in this horse race) I think they should be making him adhere to his contract. From a business perspective they bet on him hard and the next year could have been huge for them. What they should have done is sent him $500 owed and another $500 for the oversight.

It's not nearly enough for a kid that thinks he's hot sh#t and is looking for a million a year but they have let their business relationship decline which is too bad. GB is their long awaited golden goose but he's laying rotten eggs.

Whether GB is grasping at contractual straws or not, the offers are coming in and he doesn't feel like he's getting enough attention/compensation ... I hate flashing too, I can get behind his complaints and sympathize but I also know young folks with talent can be ingrates. :D :D

Either way the cleaner this ends the better it is for both parties.

Last edited:

Latest posts