• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Progression to more glide in putters?

stratedge

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
TL;DR - Is it normal to progress putting by getting putters with more and more glide?

I have been using 175g RFF Wizards since very early on, which were great thus far (feel nice, fly nice, grab the chains and suited my up-and-down putting style). From 20+ft, I was satisified with 2 putting and wanted to take a stab at hitting the basket without gliding too far past, out of concern for 3-putting. So I'd get it up high and wanted the disc to fall at the basket to make the 2nd shot easy when I missed (and I missed a lot).

Now I'm starting to feel like I've out grown them. I'm a more confident putter and I'm happy to call 15ft a gimme, so I think I want something with more glide in order to make more of those 1st putts. Controlling the height of the putt at the basket is the reason for most of my misses, particularly from further out. At around 30ft, I'm getting a lot of front rim bangers or hitting the top of the basket as the disc doesn't have that glide with my putting style. I watch videos of the pros from the side, and the entire flight path of the disc is almost completely horizontal, the disc always staying between the top of the chains and bottom of the basket the entire 30ft+... I don't expect to putt like this, but I feel like the next step is to get closer to this.

I've been debating using my star Mako to putt, which is my approach disc I love for it's straight line and better glide, but it's just ever so slightly less grippy for spin putts which is occasionally a problem... but I think I could adapt. I like it. Maybe if I'm honest, the reason I'm not using it is I am not practicing with it, because I've only got 1 of it but 6 of my Wizards. If I make the switch, I'll have to buy a batch of Makos.

So, is this a normal progression? Do people generally move from less glidy to more glidy putters? I'm interested in some personal accounts of moving from putter X to putter Y and how it helped or hurt.

I don't think a different putter model will give you significant;y more glide from 30' and in. Keeping the nose slghtly angled up will give your shot more glide, but that is if it is thrown horizontally to begin with. I think the progression in your form may be as you get more confident, is to putt with more speed to keep the disc more horizontal as you have seen in the videos. This keeps the disc on line and won't drop too much. You have to adjust your aim point to allow for a little drop, like aim at the top, or several inches below. Your loft style right now is going to serve you very well in iffy distances and longer putts that you know you want to leave a gimmie if you miss, but a faster more horizontal putt from a confident distance will stick much more often. Practice, practice, practice.

I've been debating using my star Mako to putt, which is my approach disc I love for it's straight line and better glide, but it's just ever so slightly less grippy for spin putts which is occasionally a problem... but I think I could adapt. I like it. Maybe if I'm honest, the reason I'm not using it is I am not practicing with it, because I've only got 1 of it but 6 of my Wizards. If I make the switch, I'll have to buy a batch of Makos.

You might consider trying out a Star or GStar Dart then. Their profile is a lot like the Mako, and they're a wonderfully glidey putter. ;) Fyi: I putt with darts specifically for the glide.

Practice this way to overcome this problem.

Start where you know you can touch metal other than the pole below the basket. Then, as long as you hit that, even if you don't make it in the basket, take a giant step back and shoot again. If you miss, stay in that spot until you hit again. When you get to _____ feet (say 15 to start), go back to where you know you can hit and start it all over again. This will theoretically be at least one or more large paces back from where you first started. Target 80% at the 20' mark as a mid-term goal.

Rinse and repeat. Over time, back your restart point up, as long as you can reach the 80% goal... 30 feet is a great long term goal.

Last edited:
If you are comfortable throwing wizards, then switch to a SS wizard. It is harder plastic but still the same shape. The Evo Wizards are a little domier so it will fly a little different.

Honestly, it's the indian, not the arrow.

Until you stop expecting the disc to do the work, you'll never do the work yourself.

Personally, I like a glidier putter because I'm a soft spin putter. In tourney videos it appears to me that the pros are putting much harder/faster than I do. Using a neutral or understable glidier putter keeps me horizontal longer, which is good because I don't want to play a lot of fade on my putts until I'm well outside the circle.
It's honestly personal preference and style. Try a magic or something similar and see how you like it.

A good percentage of the pros you watch videos of are using putters with almost the same flight characteristics as a wizard (for putting distances at least.) They're mostly using KC Aviars, Challengers, Judges, or what the prodigy guys feel to be the equivalent in their lineup. The major exception of course being McBeth, who uses a beadless aviar.

The key is putting with more speed and controlling the nose angle, not switching putters.

I have a slightly stiffer putter for longer putts! I have an old firm Magic that does the trick for me currently! My Legacy Clutch in Protege' plastic will also glide long & straight!

Find a putter that fits good in your hand, buy a stack of 8-10 and use them all for practice, of course one in the bag. They will get more glide.

It's been said in here already and I know a lot of younger and/or new golfers thinks there's a magic formula to becoming a better putter/golfer but there isn't.

If you are not willing to put the time in for practice your game will never improve.

A putter with lots of glide brings a whole new set of problems. It's going to be less consistent in the wind and if you miss it's going to go a lot farther past the basket than a disc that wants to drop more quickly.

Lighter always glides better.......it takes less airspeed to maintain lift= glide. Lighter putters get pushed around more in wind, but are more accurate cause it takes less to get em to hold a line. They can deflect off the chains instead of sticking......Putting is such a personal thing. I have found putter practice , not unlike field work with drivers and mids, increases your putting distance. The nose angle and release angle can be played just like any other shot, just a smaller scale of distance, turn and fade. I have learned to throw nose up anny flexes 35- 60 ft. The anny flex stretches out the distance a bit ,the nose up insures it's going to flex out and not glide a mile past the basket. Get out to 60 ft, learn how to get it there and then 30 footers are easy ( distance anyways). For me, it's a lot easier to learn how to double my puttable distance than it it is to double my driver distance.

A putter with lots of glide brings a whole new set of problems. It's going to be less consistent in the wind and if you miss it's going to go a lot farther past the basket than a disc that wants to drop more quickly.

This. I recently switched to a wizard and have made more putts in the circle.
I was using a beat p&a aviar before and when I missed it sailed for a tough follow up. I would then do a half arm motion causing more problems. Once I switched to a more stable putter my motion is the same, just a different release point.

I have a 165 soft Magnet that does some real nice annie turns, Partly why I carry 4 putters in a bag of 12. The other reason is poison oak condemning discs to the quarantine bag on a long course.
Being reasonably proficient with discs that do different things is usually a good thing. Learn to adapt.
*ducks from the flying poo due to unpopular advice*

I personally use the Mako for long putts, like 40ft+ I like it. But yeah for long spin putts I will use the Pa4 or Pa1 (Pa1 within 30ft) depending on the situation. I am starting to do those "long putts" but half spin putt half backhand toss....I stare straight at the target and in my putting stance I throw/putt a Pa1 (usually) Dead ahead releasing almost at nose level and giving it a little anny....it glides out on a straight ending s shape, usually gives it a run at the basket/chains and if it does miss is within 10 ft. I've had better chances of it getting in than just loft putting at that distance....going straight for it with the putters sometimes results in it going past and creating a 3 putt situation...it all depends.

Latest posts