• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Properly grading a disc?

I am about to list quite a few discs for sale in the marketplace but I want to make sure that I grade them properly. Can anyone help with how to properly grade discs? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, what's an acceptable price to charge for shipping?

10 - Never thrown, no ink, brand new condition
9 - Field tested or used for one or two rounds, many use this for storage wear as well
8 - Lightly used with very minimal wear
7 - Used with some minor dings or scuffs but still in good shape
6 - Typical used disc with the usual dings, scratches but still worthy
5 - Kinda beat, significant wear, has lost a good bit of it's stability
4 – Beat up turnover disc with some evident war story wear
3- or under- Beat to Hades, dog chew toy

I prefer to price everything as shipped.

Around here that is (or was) called the 'Sleepy Scale'.

If you ship a bubble mailer "media mail" it almost always costs 2.72 so I build in $3 and roll with it.

Just buy your bubble mailers at a place other than the post office they are usually 1.80 there and they can be had for $.50elsewhere.(if you buy in qty)

The Sleepy scale usually makes people reasonably happy with any trade or purchase.

If there is any weird ink good images help too.

2 or more discs fit in bubble flat rate mailers for the cheapest with tracking but you need to order the mailers online. They are free.

Include shipping in your list prices. Just easier for everyone. Discounts on multiples is pretty normal.

Don't be afraid to list a disc as 6/10. People are really bad about going under a 7 it seems. To me, an appropriately graded 6 or even 5 is still a great thrower.

Don't be afraid to list a disc as 6/10. People are really bad about going under a 7 it seems. To me, an appropriately graded 6 or even 5 is still a great thrower.

Yup

I've bought a couple of discs off a Facebook page for the hell of it and most of those guys are legit terrible at grading. Be a little conservative. There's nothing more annoying than getting a "9/10" disc with a bunch of gouges.

2 or more discs fit in bubble flat rate mailers for the cheapest with tracking but you need to order the mailers online. They are free.

Include shipping in your list prices. Just easier for everyone. Discounts on multiples is pretty normal.

I use them (link) also for 2-3 discs, it's between $5 and $5.50 I believe. For single discs I turn them inside out and print off first class postage from paypal.com/shipnow since you're not supposed to put first class postage on priority packaging. Never been a problem.

Too conservative is bad too, in some cases. If I want a totally beat up one of a mold that is too OS for me when new, its not very nice to buy a 6/10 disc only to find it has a few scrapes and flies still like a pig. Talk to the seller and get pics. Estimates are estimates after all.

I use them (link) also for 2-3 discs, it's between $5 and $5.50 I believe. For single discs I turn them inside out and print off first class postage from paypal.com/shipnow since you're not supposed to put first class postage on priority packaging. Never been a problem.

But please don't do that any more.

Yup

I've bought a couple of discs off a Facebook page for the hell of it and most of those guys are legit terrible at grading. Be a little conservative. There's nothing more annoying than getting a "9/10" disc with a bunch of gouges.
From my experience if I trade from DGCR for a disc listed as a 7 it usually will be more what I consider an 8 or 9. Once you leave here, a trade for a 7 is likely to get you a disc I'd consider a 5. :|

From my experience if I trade from DGCR for a disc listed as a 7 it usually will be more what I consider an 8 or 9. Once you leave here, a trade for a 7 is likely to get you a disc I'd consider a 5. :|

When dealing with the right peeps on DGCR anyway ;)

Ive receieved 7s you would have thought were new from here more often then not.

Never had a bad experience here.

Latest posts