• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push Putt

Matatat

Ok so I'm fairly new to disc golf and I'm having serious issues with the push putt. Everytime I release it comes out super wobbly and inconsistent. Can't get it to come out spinning. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The wobbly nature is due to not using fingers to add some spin to the disc. All putts need spin, but the method by adding spin is different for each one. The power then comes from the hips. Learning the timing to putt long distances, consistently without a lot of effort comes down to timing when the disc wants to leave your hand immediately followed by adding the umph by springing the disc with the fingers.

Ok yeah that makes sense, practiced last night and was getting about 1 out of 5 to spin. One video I watched the guy said to release on a hyzer and the other had the nose slightly up and released flat, which do you guys prefer and which has the most accuracy? Thanks for all y'all's help! I freaking love this game!

I release slight nose down and flat when there is no headwind. During headwinds, the release is with hyzer - with more hyzer with faster headwind. The trickiest putt is during a slight right to left headwind.

Take the disc in your hand and start flinging it up in the air using only your wrist and finger. The same motion as if you were holding a dart about chest high in front of you and throwing it up at the ceiling.

Take the disc in your hand and start flinging it up in the air using only your wrist and finger. The same motion as if you were holding a dart about chest high in front of you and throwing it up at the ceiling.

That's not a push putt chief.

I see what you're saying. I would leave the wrist out of it though. If you want to learn to push putt, you should learn to keep your wrist locked.

I see what you're saying. I would leave the wrist out of it though. If you want to learn to push putt, you should learn to keep your wrist locked.

Watch the Feldberg clinic again. He talks about opening your wrist at the release. Its a subtle move. You're not actively trying to put alot of spin on it.

Yes, you'll eliminate most of the wrist action when you actually putt put it's a easy thing to do sitting on your couch and it's hard to do without moving your write. You don't have the arm swing to add forward momentum to the disc so use your write when doing this drill to really get the feeling of finger spring.

Yeah the spring with the fingers is currently my weakness, I'm getting plenty of power it's just hideous and wobbly and not consistent. Definitely practicing the spring to get smooth. Thanks for all the help, really appreciated

Possible really stupid question, can't tell from the video, but do you bend your elbow at all or whole arm, wrist everything stays straight up and down?

Possible really stupid question, can't tell from the video, but do you bend your elbow at all or whole arm, wrist everything stays straight up and down?

Do not bend your elbow. Keep your arm straight but not rigid. Your wrist can hinge a little (so it mirrors your front foot).

Watch the Feldberg clinic again. He talks about opening your wrist at the release. Its a subtle move. You're not actively trying to put alot of spin on it.

Feldbeard has a weird hybrid style of push putt where he may be actively opening up his wrist. However, most styles of push putts have no wrist involved at all.

I was at that Feldberg clinic. I couldn't putt worth S*** before it. After I became one of the better putters at the course. This is mainly because I started practicing at least 5 hours a week, but I was practicing what he taught. My putting style has slowly became my own but it is still my strong point. My point is practice is the most important thing with putting.

My point is practice is the most important thing with putting.

This. Want to be a better putter? Practice. After getting the yips this weekend I decided to change my putter grip. Since I want to be comfortable with it by the weekend, I did 3 hours of putting practice past night, even put he flood light pointed towards my basket so I could putt into the night.

There is no right way and wrong way to putt. It's all about how you can most efficiently put the disc into the chains. I spush, but can push or spin if I need to or want to. It's all about muscle memory, repitition, and what feels right to you.

This. Want to be a better putter? Practice. After getting the yips this weekend I decided to change my putter grip. Since I want to be comfortable with it by the weekend, I did 3 hours of putting practice past night, even put he flood light pointed towards my basket so I could putt into the night.

There is no right way and wrong way to putt. It's all about how you can most efficiently put the disc into the chains. I spush, but can push or spin if I need to or want to. It's all about muscle memory, repitition, and what feels right to you.

Truth. I recently started incorporating a spush put into my game. I typically am a very fast learner with anything athletic, but the push/pitch putt was a challenge for me. It took about 2 months of putting every single day for 1-2 hours. It was incredibly frustrating for the first 3 weeks. I couldn't figure out the finger pop. When people say that a pitch putt has no spin or wrist action they are wrong. There is certainly less of both compared to a pure spin putt, but it is still there. That was the biggest sticking point for me. I kept trying to not use my wrist at all, and it just doesn't work that way.

Latest posts