• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push Putt

To each their own on putting. Going through my putt again, there is absolutely no wrist motion because I learned some time ago to lock it. In my opinion wrist adds too much variability to the putt and adds less power than what can be generated by the hips and fingers alone.
Matatat - keep your elbow straight, otherwise you'll lose power. Practice what is most comfortable to you and don't copy some other pro's form, because you'll be missing a lot that you can't see or feel in the video.

I can't even get my fingers to spring at the basket with a locked wrist. They just let go of the disc. Are you generating all of your forward momentum with your shoulder? How are you controlling the nose angle?

For me, I think I store all of the energy from the rest of my body in my wrist. Then it's just a little tendon bounce towards the basket.

Matatat - keep your elbow straight, otherwise you'll lose power.

This really does not compute for me. I guarantee I can generate more power with a bent elbow by releasing my lower arm. It seems to me that if what you say is true, I would be driving with a straight elbow.

:wall: <me while working on my push putt ... and after>:doh:

I jut installed a basket in my backyard and have been practicing every night. I'm getting good power from my lower body and my shoulder, still the finger spring eludes me. About 1 out of 10 is just perfect. Leaving the elbow locked seems to improve the discs ability to stay on the line even if it wobbly and hideous, slowly getting better.

This is the video that helped me with finger spring. It's not a push putt, but it is finger spring.

Make sure you are putting the most pressure in the back of your grip, by squeezing your pinkie against the rim. That is what helped me tremendously.

Make sure you are putting the most pressure in the back of your grip, by squeezing your pinkie against the rim. That is what helped me tremendously.

this helped me so much after I watched feldbergs putting video and the nose up release on putts helped too now they (sometimes)don't go as far past

To each their own on putting. Going through my putt again, there is absolutely no wrist motion because I learned some time ago to lock it. In my opinion wrist adds too much variability to the putt and adds less power than what can be generated by the hips and fingers alone.
Matatat - keep your elbow straight, otherwise you'll lose power. Practice what is most comfortable to you and don't copy some other pro's form, because you'll be missing a lot that you can't see or feel in the video.

If you watched a slow-mo of your putt in action, I guarantee there would be some wrist action right before you release. Otherwise your disc simply wouldn't spin in the air. It might be a tiny, tiny little pop, but it has to be there.

I started with the spin putt then heard about how much better the push putt was. I started practicing push putting and just couldn't get it. So I went back to spin putting. Then I realized that I need to stick with learning the most accurate way of putting so I went back to practicing the push putt. Frustration took over once again and I went back to spin putting. Spin putting was working well for me with putts around 10 feet but outside of that, I wasn't consistent at all. So I buckled down one day and re-watched Feldburg's push putting video on youtube. After a good 3 hours of push putt practice, my body was starting to get comfortable with it. After about a month of practicing push putting, I'm very consistent with 20 foot putts. Stick with it because it's so worth it. Even when I miss putts, the line is so straight, I'm always hitting the basket. It's awesome.

Also, I used to practice quickly. Throwing putts right after the other. I found another video that says to practice each shot as if you were shooting in a tournament. That got me concentrating on every putt and it also helped my consistency a whole bunch.

You don't necessarily have to keep your elbow straight. Schusterick has some elbow bend in his push putt. I practice push, spin, and spush everytime I practice. Spin is better in headwind, push/lob in tailwind.

Rapid fire practice is good to help with muscle memory, but always end practice with serious shots. I'll practice however I want, but when I'm ready to call it a night I'll putt every shot like it matters, and try to make them all before finishing. I have about 20 putters, so sometimes it's a little frustrating hitting all but 1-2 and starting over when all I want to do is stop... But that incentive makes each putt matter, and the confidence of hitting them all right at the end of practice will stick with you until your next practice.

Be careful about putting your pinkie into the rim. I used to putt with my middle and ring finger against the back rim and pinkie against the bead, it works great for spin putting when you're on target and on your game, but sometimes that finger can catch the rim and not release right, pulling the disc to the right. If it works its great, but for me it messed up too many gimme putts to stick with it.

Take the disc in your hand and start flinging it up in the air using only your wrist and finger. The same motion as if you were holding a dart about chest high in front of you and throwing it up at the ceiling.

This is freakin' gold dude! :clap: Thirty seconds of this, and I learned what no video has ever been able to teach me about push putting.

This is freakin' gold dude! :clap: Thirty seconds of this, and I learned what no video has ever been able to teach me about push putting.

Yeah, can't remember where I picked that up but it helped me a ton. In my experience that finger spring is 75% of pitch putting. After you get used to it and are doing it for a few months you'll be amazed at how much power you can generate with just your fingers.

Another great trick I've found is that I pitch putt with a staggered stance but if you more than 20 feet or so out you'll need to add a little bit of height to you putt. You'll get some turn at the end since you're so far out but if you step with your back foot to an even stance as the disc is coming out it turns your arm just a bit and you won't get that late fade. Watch Ricky Wysocki.

Yeah, can't remember where I picked that up but it helped me a ton. In my experience that finger spring is 75% of pitch putting. After you get used to it and are doing it for a few months you'll be amazed at how much power you can generate with just your fingers.

Another great trick I've found is that I pitch putt with a staggered stance but if you more than 20 feet or so out you'll need to add a little bit of height to you putt. You'll get some turn at the end since you're so far out but if you step with your back foot to an even stance as the disc is coming out it turns your arm just a bit and you won't get that late fade. Watch Ricky Wysocki.

I've always wondered why Ricky Wysocki did that little step forward. I'll have to try that. Thanks again. :)