• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push Putters, do you all have stiff ones?

I use SSS Magics, although they are soft, mine feel much stiffer than the JK Aviars, Polecat, and Challengers I have tried. Soft feel but stiff disc.

I use stiff semi-grippy putters because the rim doesn't deform, the flight plate doesn't bend, and my hand doesn't stick to them too much. There are plenty of "soft" putters out there that conform to my standards, but they aren't floppy soft. Even good spin putters use some palm push. I can't think of any top pros that use floppy putters.

The Banger-GT has one possible disadvantage; it's harder to control the nose angle on that thing because your fingers have a predesignated position. I move my fingers and thumb to different positions on the flight plate based on the wing and nose angle I need for my putts. The Banger is restrictive in that respect because of the groove.

I use a regular magnet, its about KC aviar stiffness

Same here! I actually have a Soft and Stiff Magnet. I use the Stiff one to run from outside the circle...just feels like I can throw it further and straighter...the soft one I use for inside the circle...better feel..just me i guess.

I've always push putted and I've always putted with the same star aviar driver (big bead). It is essential for me to be relatively stiff because I don't get a ton of spin on the disc so it needs to have some pop coming off my hand.

I've always push putted and I've always putted with the same star aviar driver (big bead). It is essential for me to be relatively stiff because I don't get a ton of spin on the disc so it needs to have some pop coming off my hand.

Have you ever tried a KC Pro Aviar? It's the same mold, but much more stiff. I bought a Star Aviar Driver a couple weeks ago. It's taken over most of my putter drives and upshots and has left my less durable Pro's for mostly putting. I think it's a great combination as the Star plastic will hopefully keep more of it's stability. I still have a couple well seasoned KC Pro's to drive and upshot with when I want a little less stability.

Have you ever tried a KC Pro Aviar? It's the same mold, but much more stiff. I bought a Star Aviar Driver a couple weeks ago. It's taken over most of my putter drives and upshots and has left my less durable Pro's for mostly putting. I think it's a great combination as the Star plastic will hopefully keep more of it's stability. I still have a couple well seasoned KC Pro's to drive and upshot with when I want a little less stability.

I've borrowed a buddy of mine's before. I didn't like the plastic as much. This is probably just due to the fact that I've only putted with my star aviar driver and I'm used to it. I've literally had the putter now for 2 years (my entire DG career) and it is worn in so sweet and perfect. I feel comfortable with it when putting and throwing any up shot under 100 feet. I have to get a new one because god forbid I lose my current one. My push putt style usually leaves the disc slowing down a considerable amount when it gets to the basket, so if I hit the chains it's usually staying in. My biggest problem is clanging them off the front of the basket, which is just a confidence and commitment issue.

The concern with soft putters is that you won't be able to get the same reliable torque when you (abruptly) extend your wrist. However, there're plenty of good players that use soft putters. I don't know any GREAT putters that use softs though.

I personally don't think that super floppy soft putters have any better shot at staying in the chains as a stiffer one does. If you hit high and left, it'll spin no matter how soft. If you hit just right of dead center, a concrete putter will fall just as easily as one made of Jello.

I thought in the Feldberg video, he said the secret was in the wrist opening to the basket just a little bit. Kinda, like your front toe is pointed out a little when lining up at the basket. I can't make putts from under the basket, so proceed with caution.

As far as your question, I push putt with a KC Aviar. I tried using sewer plate hard Organic Wizards that would bounce out consistently. Perfect putts right in the heart then the pole throws it right back.:wall:

With that being said I have 6 of those putters all 8.5+/10 for sale $10 shipped.
if you are using wrist action you are not push-putting

Yeah, I think Feldberg wants the a very small amount of wrist action. It's been so damn windy here, that I haven't bothered practicing putting much. If I don't end up less than 10 or 15 feet away, I've just been trying to park it under the basket. May setup something in my garage if the wind doesn't give away soon.

if you are using wrist action you are not push-putting

you can get away without using wrist with in something like 20'. After that point some wrist is required usually. If you watch dave d's video on the snake strike putt he talks about how wrist stop action is the key to good putting. The snake strike putt is a set up skill to being able to use either push putting (straddle, swing, pop, straight arm styles) and spin putting (anhyzer, drill, short arm) effectively because you give your putt an advantage with that "nice steely stop".

What Feldberg said regarding wrist action was along the lines of:

Having the wrist aligned with the lead foot, pointing slightly left of the target (right-hander putter here). As you bring the disc up during the swing, the wrist will go from slightly closed to a neutral position.