• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push Putting Help

blayed

Par Member
I hope this is in the right area, if not I can move this to another forum.

I've had some trouble pitch putting. I've been working on my putt with almost daily practice for the past year but can't seem to get above 60-80% at 20ft. I'll typically get it with little wobble and nice spin but I almost always pull to the right. Sometimes I just overcompensate by really aiming to the left of the basket but I know that something is wrong and I just cant get it right. You can see my form here:

Bad putt 1 https://youtu.be/XGgAtZX0Oh4
Bad putt 2 https://youtu.be/XGZGI8ain30

For my mechanic I focus on keeping my arm straight and locked, my wrist locked, and for the spin i'm pushing out with my fingers and using the thumb as a pivot point. I'm not set on this putting style, I'm open to any new suggestions. But any time I try to use active wrist, it further exaggerates the missing to the right.

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

I'm not a push putter myself, but based on Scott Stokley a push putt means that the only hinge is your shoulder and everything else should be locked in place.

https://youtu.be/Lf9lyC1tago?t=58

Looks to me like in your examples that your wrist is curling and then uncurling which would make this more of a spush putt. Not sure if that is intentional, kind of hard to tell since there is no good example posted. :)

For the lower body: Try grabbing a weight (like 2 kg) and smoothly throw it forward in a putting motion. Find what posture works well for you that feels smooth and low effort with this weight. Then try it with a disc.

For the upper body: Don't think too much about what is going on in your arm but keep your mind on the target. Keep the arm relaxed and your release point will be towards the basket if you keep your mind on that target. Experiment with holding the disc comfortably different positions to adjust spin (between 12 o'clock or like 3 o'clock). For added power you can move the off arm away from the target like Anthony Barella.

Do a little practice swing/address the target thinking about what your body is doing. Then when you actually throw the putter forget about what your body is doing and only focus on the target.

Sent from my SM-G991N using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't know if this is helpful, but I figured out something about my own putt, and I think you may be having a similar issue. My miss was also always right. And I think I see evidence of it in your putt.

The fix I made was simply to stop trying to get the putt to flat out of my hand and to use more of a hyzer putt. This instantly made my putting much more consistent, and I was much more likely to be able to feel what I had done wrong in my stroke when I missed.

I was working out with a buddy who is a very experienced physical therapist, and he made the point that a "neutral" grip when doing something like a dumbbell or kettlebell deadlift (where your arm is just hanging down) does not necessarily have the dumbbells hanging in lines parallel to each other/your side. Your wrist may want to hang so the dumbbells point more "inward" towards each other.

If you think about what has to happen to get the putter flat if your wrist doesn't naturally reach that position on the upswing, you can see how rotating your wrist from hyzer to flat would tend to pop the disc out to the right.

IDK, if that's valuable, but I thought I'd put it out there.

A straddle push is easier for me, Kevin Jones-ish. I couldn't do the Wysocki style from the thigh. My arm wanted to go from bottom left to upper right. I had to move my back foot more right in order to line up the natural throwing motion. Straddle KJ putt is more like a 'granny' shot in basketball. The line will always be on. The height tho…

Thanks guys. I did some putts today, I think the keeping the grip pressure away from the index finger really helped. I tried to press more between my ring/middle/pinky and the thumb.

I realized I never posted any vid of a "good" putt so here are a few:
https://youtu.be/DzIyrrwafIs

As someone else pointed out, maybe my pulling right has to do with my wrist subconsciously curling. The thing is if you hold the disc at 3 o' clock. When you swing it down, your arm automatically moves it so that its closer to 1 or 2 o clock (see video for example). If I were to force the disc to be held at 3 o'clock I feel like then I would have no choice but to use elbow or wrist to generate spin ... unless i'm missing something

Also the third putt in the video is a straddle. I feel like it's hard to power the straddle unless you really bring the disc down into your groin area to give it that extra swing.

In case you missed this video, might be worthwhile. Gannon has a putt similar to yours.

I think this is a great video especially about the grip and other advice but his spush putting style where he initiates with the elbow is "easier said than done"

He kinda creates like a "power pocket" by initiating with his elbow and having his elbow and wrist whip and finish pointed at the basket. I tried doing it and it feels very weird and not accurate but somehow he makes it work great

I think this is a great video especially about the grip and other advice but his spush putting style where he initiates with the elbow is "easier said than done"

He kinda creates like a "power pocket" by initiating with his elbow and having his elbow and wrist whip and finish pointed at the basket. I tried doing it and it feels very weird and not accurate but somehow he makes it work great

I'm with you about the elbow. 100 putts a day for a few months ought to sort it out. Now, if I could just get several days in a row without 30mph straight winds, sleet, snow or rain … I could practice

I've been playing around with a few things. The first thing is that it really feels like the body wants to do the "unsheathing the sword motion". Like even with using the shoulder only as a hinge, biomechanically it wants to come from your left hip and go up and to the right. I feel like this is the root cause of pulling to the right

https://gfycat.com/distantaggravatingcreature

However, I don't think it's wise to fight your body's natural mechanics. It's also really hard. I think it's just a combination of trying to do your best to keep your body mechanics straight, and *A LOT* of practice in learning good timing and consistency. Just like spin putters do have to "time" their releases so they go straight, I think push putters must as well (albeit in a much smaller window).

Some other things that have been helping:
1) instead of fighting the wrist or trying to keep it unnaturally straight, I started doing what feldberg talks about in one video and thats kind of "loading" the hand so that the thumb points to 9 or 10 o clock. Youre not "cocking" your wrist, you're just loading it and letting it open naturally.
2) gripping between my thumb and pinky/ring/middle, with my pointer finger loose. Another key point is grip pressure. Too much and you end up "grip locking" the putt right. And too little and it falls out low and left.
3) the finger spring really wants to spin the disc out and to the right (it's pivoting around the thumb to some extent), I think its important to try your best to focus your spring forward

This is what it's looking like now. I'm having good success in 15-20ft but I do really pull right when I get farther out

https://youtu.be/sIkGfyRVvaQ

I'm not set on this putting style, I'm open to any new suggestions. But any time I try to use active wrist, it further exaggerates the missing to the right.

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

I would check out this Scott Stokely video (it's not the same as what a previous poster posted and on completely different stuff):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnGOYU15zXk

What I notice in that short video and from you comment "missing to the right" is that I think your body isn't angled towards the basket. Can't be sure on such a short video but it looks that way.

Scott has good tips on how to make your body is in line there.

I would check out this Scott Stokely video (it's not the same as what a previous poster posted and on completely different stuff):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnGOYU15zXk

What I notice in that short video and from you comment "missing to the right" is that I think your body isn't angled towards the basket. Can't be sure on such a short video but it looks that way.

Scott has good tips on how to make your body is in line there.

Thanks for the vid! Just to clarify when you say "angled towards the basket" do you mean I'm
too squared up to the basket and need to be more sideways?

Don't have the link, but Philo has some good putting videos IMO. Search it on youtube, I'm sure it will pop up.

I'm able to practice putting a lot at my house. For the longest, I've been throwing stuff in C2 range for the most part (40-70 feet). I've gotten pretty good at being close. I make a few, but nothing great.

And I've been pretty good at being close inside C1 as well. Close, but missing putts.

I decided to change my practice to a lot more 15-20' putts. It's helping on the course. That's my story. YMMV.

Thanks for the vid! Just to clarify when you say "angled towards the basket" do you mean I'm
too squared up to the basket and need to be more sideways?

Like Scott says, everyone's stance is different so it's impossible for me to say just based on snippets of video.

Just locate the basket about 20 feet away, close your eyes, get into your normal stance and rock back and forth a few times until you find your natural rhythm and put your hand up in the release position. Open your eyes. Is the release centered on the basket? If not, your may have to adjust your angle in relation to your natural stance.

Watch the video for clarification on all the points.

But I think in general, especially for push putts, it should be height that is challenging and not left-right problems so much. So that kinda indicates to me the stuff that Scott is pointing out in that video.

I, very recently, fixed my putting after more than 5+ years putting with a crazy nose down push putt.

To me your stance looks a little unbalanced; if you do the Feldy hop (stand with non-dominant shoulder facing basket, jump up and spin towards your dominant side/right shoulder/right foot and land) do you end up in a similar stance to how you're putting now?

Grip is very important in the push-putt. In one of Feldy's clinics he talks about feeling the pressure of the grip at the back of the disc; you'll actually feel it fit comfortably into the webbing underneath your thumb. Once you find that grip you just maintain it and keep your arm on line.

Personally I'm not a fan of rocking in the putt, I used to do it but I found a lot more consistency by loading my back-weight slowly. Keep your left heel higher off the ground and put more of your weight into the ball of your foot; your left leg should feel more like a spring and it's very easy to get a clean push.

Once your feet are set and you have the grip let your arm hang straight, push off your left foot and let the putt happen. Honestly, if you can find the grip that puts pressure at the back of putter and maintain it then all you have to do is kick off your back leg and let the magic happen; push putting was stupid hard for me to learn but now that I can do it it feels ridiculously simple.

Ok guys, I think I need help rebuilding my putt. I've been practice putting almost every day and while I dont miss 10 footers anymore I still miss lots of 15 and 20 footers. I tend to pull up and to the right but in reality I'm missing up down left and right.

Here is my video in two angles: https://youtu.be/0DBowSQoqQs

My sequence is:
  1. I flare out my back foot
  2. I hold the disc at about 2 o clock
  3. I keep my arm straight and swing it back into my groin/left thigh
  4. The back of my hand is now facing the basket. As I swing back up it naturally "uncoils" to straight and then I agressively POP my fingers under the rim.

I've never felt:
  • "Pushing" the disc with my palm. (how can I if I finish "shaking hands with the basket"
  • The disc "pivoting off the index finger"
  • The "shoveling" motion
  • When I try to lift my back leg up It causes all my putts to go nose down.
  • If I try to "widen" my stance it exaggerates my misses to the right. Same problem happens with a straddle putt

I've watched every putting video on YT and asked local players to help me with very little luck. I'm even down to learn to spin or spush putt but that is even worse. I can't get any power on my spin putts, I can barely get them to go 10 ft and with tons of wobble. See below:

https://youtu.be/KVTsjh1aKwg

Any help appreciated! If I should post this to form reviews instead let me know and I'll delete it.

Ok guys, I think I need help rebuilding my putt. I've been practice putting almost every day and while I dont miss 10 footers anymore I still miss lots of 15 and 20 footers. I tend to pull up and to the right but in reality I'm missing up down left and right.

My sequence is:
  4. The back of my hand is now facing the basket. As I swing back up it naturally "uncoils" to straight and then I agressively POP my fingers under the rim.

I've never felt:
  • "Pushing" the disc with my palm. (how can I if I finish "shaking hands with the basket"
  • The "shoveling" motion
  • If I try to "widen" my stance it exaggerates my misses to the right. Same problem happens with a straddle putt

I've watched every putting video on YT and asked local players to help me with very little luck. I'm even down to learn to spin or spush putt but that is even worse. I can't get any power on my spin putts, I can barely get them to go 10 ft and with tons of wobble. See below:

Any help appreciated! If I should post this to form reviews instead let me know and I'll delete it.

I noticed in the first video here, on the first putt, your putter got caught on your shorts and jerked in your hand.

True spin putts are scary, but very handy to know how to do, but require a wrist snap, and if your snap is off, you're gonna be all over the map.

Watching your putting video here, this is what I see.

I think you're rotating the disc at the basket to early.

You start with your hand between the disc and the basket.
But you move the disc a little and your hand is already on the side, but your putting motion is still continuing but you're just kinda just serving it up with a loose lob at the basket and no spin.

So, this is why you're not feeling the pivot, or the palm.

I'll think on it.
Teaching putting is far more enjoyable than doing form reviews.

My sequence is:

I've never felt:
  • The "shoveling" motion

Yeah what Sheep said is basically what I saw. Seems like a low/early release and cramped spacing for your arm swing. You want that to be smooth and unobstructed. I'm sure you've seen this, but this is like the masterclass for your style of putt:

I'd take a day and really focus on each of his tips. I think this would fix your putt with the least modification. Essentially bring your putter to your left leg and maybe arc your putts a little higher so the nose down from the push ends up in the basket like Rickys. You'd then have a clean arm swing, more power from the leg push, a nose down trajectory to keep it close even if you miss. Also try to do all this as loose as you can. I lose distance on everything including putts if i don't just relax the muscles first and let them do the thing.

For the lower body: Try grabbing a weight (like 2 kg) and smoothly throw it forward in a putting motion. Find what posture works well for you that feels smooth and low effort with this weight. Then try it with a disc.

For the upper body: Don't think too much about what is going on in your arm but keep your mind on the target. Keep the arm relaxed and your release point will be towards the basket if you keep your mind on that target. Experiment with holding the disc comfortably different positions to adjust spin (between 12 o'clock or like 3 o'clock). For added power you can move the off arm away from the target like Anthony Barella.

Do a little practice swing/address the target thinking about what your body is doing. Then when you actually throw the putter forget about what your body is doing and only focus on the target.

Sent from my SM-G991N using Tapatalk

The bolded is similar to how Climo used to advise people to pretend the disc is a brick and you are trying to toss it into the basket.

Latest posts