• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter and Midrange Grip?

Yea, except no grip feels "GREAT" to me other than a power grip and because of that grip no mid is feeling right to me.

This could be due to small hands tho.

Maybe you just haven't found a mid that feels good in your hands yet?

There's nothing inherently wrong with using a power grip for mids. I do it although I use a different power grip than most people. I apply pressure with my finger tips rather than my pads. I feel like I have more control over my release that way.

Anyway, it seems like a bad idea to switch up your grip for different shots. I would think it would be better to find a mid that feels comfortable and flies well with whichever grip you prefer. There are lots of options out there. One of them is bound to feel nice.

Yea, I'm looking for something stable. My Buzzzes are ok, but I just can't throw them right or something. The Cobra feels really good for my stable to understable disc.

I use a modified Power/Fan grip. I hold the disc with my index and pinky fingers as if using a 4-finger power grip and I "fan"/stack my middle and ring fingers.

Like this:
Power-FanGrip.jpg
[/IMG]

Note: this is the grip I use for driving with putters and mids... not for putting.
DSCJNKY

isnt this the climo grip??

not quite,

you don't put your ring finger over your pinkie with the climo grip. they're all side by side

Buzzes tend to like being thrown lower than a lot of other mids in my experience. That may have something to do with it. I've never thrown a cobra so I can't really suggest something that feels similar.

Thanks Albino...that grip didn't feel right at all to me in the first place. I tried it earlier this year for putting (per Beto putting video) and didn't like it. And I like your suggestion about more contact with the rim by all fingers. Makes sense to me.

Thanks Albino...that grip didn't feel right at all to me in the first place. I tried it earlier this year for putting (per Beto putting video) and didn't like it. And I like your suggestion about more contact with the rim by all fingers. Makes sense to me.

I guess I really shouldn't say contact so much as pressure. Climo's fork grip doesn't have many contact points, but the pressure due to the stack is like having all the fingers on, but only have 2 points of contact to make it so there are less points for a disc to release from.

Sorry for stealing the idea travis.

I want to know if anyone else uses these grips for their mids and putters. I have really large hands, I have trouble power gripping anything under a speed 7 because of the smaller rim.

So for my mids, I use a modified power grip, Picture this, I hole it like a normal power grip, but my middle and ring fingers are out straight resting in the middle of the disc.

When i am driving my putter, I have my pointer finger resting on the nose, like I am putting, my middle and ring fingers are fanned out resting in the middle of the discs, and my pinkie is gripped against the inner rim. I know this is weird, but I can throw my Wizard out there 240' now.

Does anyone else do something like this.
i use this on certain discs that I cant get a comfortable power grip...and sometimes I just stack the middle and ring on top of the "pinkie"

I use a three finger fork grip. Keeps the disc's plane aligned with my forearm.
This is alot closer to what I'm talking about

I use a modified Power/Fan grip. I hold the disc with my index and pinky fingers as if using a 4-finger power grip and I "fan"/stack my middle and ring fingers.

Note: this is the grip I use for driving with putters and mids... not for putting.
DSCJNKY
Just Like this. I even sometimes use the Fork grip that Climo describes in his video, and apply alot of pressure between thumb and index sometimes causing my index to pull away from the inside rim a little and locking the rim into my second knuckle on my index finger.

I guess I really shouldn't say contact so much as pressure. Climo's fork grip doesn't have many contact points, but the pressure due to the stack is like having all the fingers on, but only have 2 points of contact to make it so there are less points for a disc to release from.

I have the smallest gap between my index finger and when I try to stack my middle, ring, and pinkie together, they pretty much all touch the inside of the rim.

small+hands.jpg

I know you guys always do your best to help me, but there are just some inherent differences. I just sent the question out to a woman pro of similar size to me and asked her about the grip. If I get a response back, I will let you know if there is something different girls can do! Who knows maybe there's another one on the site that is interested!

Latest posts