• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter driving

I too have nose angle issues. Mainly I can't get the nose down, and when I try I "throw oats", and low. How close is one's thumb to the edge(speaking power grip)? Mine is comfortably approx. 1 1/2" in from the rim. Comfortable, yes. Successful, no.

The stiffer, the less oats I tend to have, or they hide it better. I'm not a fan of the G9i's, I like the stiffness, they are too slick for my taste, the sure grip is just right for me. For nose angle, I move my thumb to probably a half inch from the rim if not closer, I can feel the nose push down and ass end other disk come up slightly and know that when I release it will be clean. However I do not do this for my drivers nor do I have a problem with oats with them.

My problem seems to be solely with the G9i. I'm not sure it's the stiffness, in fact I have a Z Comet that is nearly as stiff(especially in this cold) as well as others that I throw well(for me that is) or at least without any OAT. I'm planning on trying again tomorrow, but this time I'm bringing my other Wizards(sss, os). I'll try moving my thumb closer to the edge to get the nose down more. I'm psyched to learn to drive my putters better. Seems to me a good way to learn how to have a smooth swing.

I throw my putters exactly like a distance drive, except I give them more height. Do you have any videos of you throwing? That can help.

A while back I asked MikeC how he threw Magics 350'.......now I can do it too. First thanks Mike, I was always decent with a putter but more often than not it was with a challenger or something OS. Now you can see whats in my signature below and outside of an approach forehand shot I don't use my pig. I pretty much use my Ion for big downhill shots and my Swans for everything. Secondly add the air under your putter to get max D, and check out Mikes video on grip. It was a little different than I used for drivers and still is but its money for putters.

I have a star aviar and a dx aviar. The star is 172 and the dx is 150. I can huck that 172 when i drive all my discs in a field its almost always right there with the mids and maybe 30 or 40 feet back from the first distance drivers. When i throw the dx i dont know what the deal is but every time i throw it back hand or forehand it shanks way off to the right or left respectively. Every time, i never use it for anything but short putts.

Too light^ also must have bad oat.

You have to drive nose up with putters right?

im not sure but to clarify when i drive backhand with the dx it goes right. i dont really mess with it much forehand i dont like the feel of a putter forehand. but it does go left probably oat on the forehand ones. Unless i have a bad throw they are usually flat. Its almost like when i throw a leapord to hard. In fact thats exactly what its like. It is a little beat in i was thinking its just a little understable but lets face it ive only been seriously playing for like 3 months.

I throw putters frequently. I personally average 250-275 for distance. I struggled with throwing putters up until I entered a Superclass tourney for fun. I was turning over that Zephyr bad. I changed to a fan grip, brought my index finger out on the bottom edge of the rim, released with a little hyzer, slowed my motion to be smoother. Now I rarely pull out my mids unless it is a lowline glide shot, or 275-300. I use a Star Rhyno, RFF Wizard, and SSS Warlock to putt, shoot upshots, and drive with. I can get around 300 if I let the Warlock snap with some good air and perform its full helix, but it takes a lot of real estate to achieve that distance.

I would suggest playing some rounds putters only on you favorite course. I found it shocking how well I did. Sometimes I beat my Personal best on the moderate courses playing just a Rhyno only...

whoever was the first to say, "discs don't have limitations, people do" was a wise man.
learn how to drive your putter, then say goodbye to skips and blow-byes. any tee shot under 250, and most under 300 can be parked by anyone who knows how to throw a putter correctly.

putter only will change your game.

Too light^ also must have bad oat.

You have to drive nose up with putters right?

Nope, you never have to throw anything nose up, or putt nose up, unless you're going for a specific shot like a stall hyzer. If you just want a long, straight putter drive, learning to throw 25-30' high with keeping the nose down is the way to roll.

I really liked wizards to drive with when I started. Great glide, the plastic is tacky all year. I've used SSS, SS, S, and Evo plastic. Currently using an RFF for upshots I want to stop on a dime, but it has more chance of turning over, I could not have been proficient driving with that RFF-wizard when I started using putters off the tee pad. My favorite predictable putter off the tee pad, or drives inside of 250 is a Star Rhyno. I've tried a couple Pro and R-Pro Rhynos but I beat them in too quick, and they start flying like my Wizards and Warlocks do.

Should I be able to drive with a power grip on putters? I use a modified fan grip aka pinch grip and I'm not the biggest fan of it. I'd like to use a power grip, but anyone I've talked to said that's not good.

Try both grips and see how it goes. I can throw putters with both grips. I normally use power grip for distance and fan grip for control, but I am trying to use fan grip for distance as well.

Should I be able to drive with a power grip on putters? I use a modified fan grip aka pinch grip and I'm not the biggest fan of it. I'd like to use a power grip, but anyone I've talked to said that's not good.

It's not good if it doesn't work for you. If you can power grip your putters then do it. I always did and still do power grip mine.

It depends on how far I am trying to throw them but I will use the power grip if I am trying to throw them 200'+.

But with grip, whatever feels best, is comfortable, and let's you make the shot the most consistent is the way to go.

Try throwing a MVP Anode off the tee. I don't have the most power in the world but can get it out about 280-300 feet and it'll end up dead straight. I love it for those narrow wooded shots and keeps me on the fairway or right next to the basket.

I'd recommend getting it to work. Even if it's not the grip you choose to use in the end you may learn ways to improve your grip.

I'd recommend getting it to work. Even if it's not the grip you choose to use in the end you may learn ways to improve your grip.

The second you get your power grip to work with your putters, I'll bet you'll see performance gains from your other discs.

Latest posts