• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter sidearm rounds

azplaya25

Double Eagle Member
I've been playing this course before work almost every single day. I go out there with a BT hard shield and a beat prime judge, and play the entire course throwing only putter sidearms. These rounds have really improved my game, and I wanted to share a few tips:

*Course selection
Probably goes without saying, but a putter sidearm round on a wide open, windy, park style course is going to suck. You might be able to advance the disc throwing stable plastic around, but I think that misses one of the biggest benefits of these rounds, which is developing touch and line selection. Pick a tight, wooded course for these types of rounds.

*The Throw
If you've never developed the touch to throw a putter sidearm, I'd recommends a couple of things. First, I've found the two finger fan grip(split grip) is the easiest to control.
split-grip-1024x388.jpg

Next, just stand still and work on snapping the disc off that middle finger. Practicing the hammer pounds that Blake T talks about may help you figure out the motion, but this part is so important. Most people who struggle with turn and burn with under stable/touchy discs like putters are just using way too much arm and trying to muscle the throw. All you need is a nice wrist pop and snap off that middle finger. I found that this video gives a fantastic explanation of what you want to do

*How this will help your game
My short game and woods game has improved exponentially by playing these rounds. Probably the most important shot I've developed is the ability to step out around a tree and throw a forehand anny line. This shot has opened up gaps and lines to the basket that I never looked for in the past. I've also gotten to the point where I'd rather throw a putter sidearm approach for anything inside of 200 feet, even on open approaches. The thing I've found with this quick sidearm wrist flick is it seems like the shank factor is reduced. While my backhand upshot game is pretty solid, I'll still have those random grip locks or some crappy nose up release where my 150 foot upshot turns into a 40 foot putt. You can't do that if you want to score well, and I've found that quick sidearm snap with a putter is just more consistent for me, both with the release and angle control.

Anyone else play putter sidearm rounds? If you give it a try, let me know what you think!

That video also helped me become better with my forehand flicks. I can't really get a forehand out there, but I now prefer using a forehand flick on approaches under 100'.

Anyone else play putter sidearm rounds? If you give it a try, let me know what you think!

My favorite 18-hole course includes a 9-hole putter course that I always play first to warm up. The longest hole is 200 feet or so, plenty of trees, and a mix of FH and BH lines.

Now I wonder whether I could hit all the lines with a FH lol.

I learned how to throw side arm by using my Harps. Best thing I could have done. It's been working, and I can now throw mid's with the side arm quite well...

I flick putters with the same grip I use on everything else. Two fingers on the flight plate like you show here, but with the index and middle finger touching. FH putter approaches are my bread and butter. I hadn't considered doing a whole round like this though. I do plenty of BH putter rounds. Maybe if I ever get out to a course again I'll give FH putter rounds a go.

My favorite 18-hole course includes a 9-hole putter course that I always play first to warm up. The longest hole is 200 feet or so, plenty of trees, and a mix of FH and BH lines.

Now I wonder whether I could hit all the lines with a FH lol.

Playing strictly fh and forcing myself to hit obvious bh hyzer lines with a forehand is what helped me develop the touch for the fh anny throw. That forehand anny approach has been so useful. For example, this hole

789ed0fd55a93bb73a73ae2aee2456cc.jpg

Basket is down to the left at the end of the tunnel. Land on the mulch fairway, you've got a nice tunnel hyzer bh to the green. However, sometimes I end up to the left of the fairway and up against those trees. Perfect spot to step out and hit that gap with a fh anny approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts