• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Wars 2017 Update

Youre right. "If you find this interesting.. click on a link to my website promoting fill in the blank".

Any less than advertising?

Guess it really depends on if you are interested in data related to putter sales. Sure, it's advertising. But it's not simply some bait and switch. I assume the data is real and at least 2.74 people might be interested in it.

But now I've actually had an exchange about putter sales data, and it doesn't interest me!

Because he compiled some list he deserves some traffic? Omf...what other logic do you use in your daily life? Please provide some more examples.

Dont worry, I didnt click on it.
I'm sorry, do you live in a fairy world where people don't deserve anything for work put in? If he put in 15 minutes, he deserves to get paid for it if people want to check it out. And he deserves to be paid commensurate with the interest people have in the topic.

As to the other logic I put in in my daily life - when people do good things for me, I tend to reward them if I'm capable. I'm not sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

Because he compiled some list he deserves some traffic? Omf...what other logic do you use in your daily life? Please provide some more examples.

Dont worry, I didnt click on it.
I mean - guess what: I have every right to attempt to make money off of this post should I choose to try to. If I wanted to make this post entirely on my own website, and create a link to it and some advertisements contained therein? I have every right to do that (just as the guy in charge of this site has every right to choose to delete it if it is within his purview). And if nobody wants to click it, and I don't earn that money? My entire point is left ignored, because it wasn't valued to that level by the audience. Nobody would read it. It would be ignored. I would probably be a sad panda bear. But I'd deserve that result - because I chose to attempt to make the profit.

You're the one complaining about him exercising his right to monetize his time and effort, regardless of how minimal his time and effort is. Why is it that you feel he shouldn't have that right?

I clicked the link twelve times and I hope OP made the money each time...

We're good here... So putters...amirite

I clicked the link twelve times and I hope OP made the money each time...

We're good here... So putters...amirite

I clicked it... as I do pretty much every time this data is released, cuz I like to know that I throw a disc lots of other people throw (little sarcasm intentend)

I couldn't care less that I had to click on a link to see the results nor that it was a link to their website. The advertising never even crossed my mind. Gotta math mind and stats is fun.

Last edited:
I was just disappointed to see a bunch of crappy putters listed.

3679683-2103919-human_torch_flame_on.png

I throw two of those... though they are not among the very top. Harp is one I always bag, and it was at 6, Atom was 9th I think?

A Harp is the only from the list that I bag right now.

The Westside Shield doesn't seem to get as much love, but I always have a couple bagged.

The Westside Shield doesn't seem to get as much love, but I always have a couple bagged.

I like the shield, but don't like that pseudo bead thing on it, where it slants down. If it had a shallower feel like a Swan, I'd bag it.

I like the shield, but don't like that pseudo bead thing on it, where it slants down. If it had a shallower feel like a Swan, I'd bag it.

Yep. Throw what feels good for you.

Swans don't get enough love either.

JohnE has given the Shield some exposure lately. Maybe that'll translate into better sales going forward.

I have a (BT Hard) Shield; mine seems to be less overstable than most comments I've read about it would suggest.

JohnE has given the Shield some exposure lately. Maybe that'll translate into better sales going forward.

I have a (BT Hard) Shield; mine seems to be less overstable than most comments I've read about it would suggest.

My two Westside Shields are both BT Hard also. I like to carry a brand new one, and a beat in one.

For me, a new Shield is slightly to the overstable side of things when thrown at about 50-70% effort. It is pretty reliable, but can be affected by head winds, so, although I use it on most shorter throws, there are certain situations where I choose a disc with more overstability or less glide. Hard Harps fill all duties when I need the extra reliability in wind, or when the Shield may not be overstable enough.

I have been throwing Shields for about 2 years, and have probably gone through 5-6 in that time. Shields lose a bit of stability after a few months of use. It is hard to describe, but it's flight will lose just a bit of its crispness, and I find myself longing for that new Shield stability. So, I take the slightly beat Shield out of the bag, and put a new one in. The somewhat used disc is added to my bag of discs for field practice.

I do enjoy going to a ball field to throw. I always start all field practice sessions by throwing slower discs first. This means Shields and Harps. I "cycle" Harps much like I do Shields. It's not much of a cycle actually - from new disc to field practice disc.

The other Shield in my bag has been in use for two years, and is extremely beat in. It has been thrown on all the local rocky, wooded courses in my area, and has all the marks and wear one would expect from a much loved disc. It's stamp is now mostly gone, and it looks pretty terrible, but I use it several times every round, and love it. Sometimes, I will putt with it. It is the only understable throwing putter that remains in my bag consistently. I suppose my beat in Shield now flies something like a Warden. It isn't extremely flippy at all, but has a certain amount of turn when thrown with 50-60% effort. I would never choose to throw the beat in Shield extremely fast, because it would most likely turn over two much. Perhaps this qualifies it as flippy in some peoples eyes. If I lose this Shield, then a disc from my practice bag will have to replace it.

I have tried Shields and Harps in premium plastics, but always end up going back to BT Hard plastic. And, I have tried lots of other putter molds, but, after the novelty of throwing the new mold wears off, I end up just wanting to throw a Shield or Harp.

Anyways, do I like Shields? Yes, I do. :thmbup:

How often do people change putters?

I've been throwing for nearly 20 years and have only cycled through about 5 molds. I strayed away from my beloved magnet for a couple years and nothing I tried felt right.

I wonder how much of the sales data is driven by people who are trying something new versus some guy who just is stocking up on something he likes.

How often do people change putters?

I've been throwing for nearly 20 years and have only cycled through about 5 molds. I strayed away from my beloved magnet for a couple years and nothing I tried felt right.

I wonder how much of the sales data is driven by people who are trying something new versus some guy who just is stocking up on something he likes.
That's because the magnet is strange/unique. But the clutch is very similar, because of Rico.

Pure and Harp, so happy about the combo I've finally tried to leave the Nova out of my bag. Sure I miss that glidey speed 2 but just add some anhyzer to the Pure for those long putts/delicate approaches and it's more reliable for a moron like me.