• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Weight

Eco81

Double Eagle Member
What are peoples throughts on putter weights? I have about 6 different avairs. They range from 166G-171G and an unknown weight. One is my main putter 170G. 2 are used as main approach discs and anhyzers one is 166G and the other is 171G 1 used for hyzers 170G and the other for drivers and straight as an arrow shots weight unknown. I played a course the other day that wreched my newer DX main putter 170G. I am about to get a couple more new avair P&A's but they are 172G. Does anyone think that is going to be a big deal?

Weigh those on a scale and you will be surprised how little of a spread you have :D.

And remember 5g=same weight as a nickel. So you really aren't going to be able to tell the difference.

I use a 172, I'd imagine the lighter the putter the more carry, but the less predictability. I'd bet 167-172ish is a good combination of carry and predictability. Lots of people default to max weight and I am not sure why.

Thinking of switching to kc pro or soft wizard from my current 170 r pro rhyno. Any reccs on those two? Thinking 172-175 for greater predictability.

Thinking of switching to kc pro or soft wizard from my current 170 r pro rhyno. Any reccs on those two? Thinking 172-175 for greater predictability.

Oh yeah, sometime I find the rhino to just be a bit to sticky in the summer heat. And I don't think the whole soft chain grabbing thing is helping me out.

I use both a 170 SS Wizard and a 175 Soft Wizard in my bag, and honestly? I can putt equally well with either of them interchangeably. Five grams isn't enough of a difference where most people (Keyword being "most") can tell the difference.

I do find that the 170 SS seems to float a bit more near the end of its flight, but this could easily be attributed to the softer plastic/higher degree of punishment I've put it through and NOT the weight difference.

Just as a FYI to the OP, back when I used Aviar P&A's my favorite weights were 170-172. I'd say stick with what works for you, an extra 3-5 grams won't make a huge difference in the wind (especially with the beadless model)

Last edited:
Weigh those on a scale and you will be surprised how little of a spread you have :D.

And remember 5g=same weight as a nickel. So you really aren't going to be able to tell the difference.

Agree 100% on the first part. If you've not scaled your discs, you have no idea what they weight. I'd bet your 171 may be 172 or 173.

As far as the second part goes, there is a big difference to me between 170g putters and 175g putters. The 175 is going to need a high arch to account for the faster drop rate, or a harder throw to compensate for it. The 170g needs more spin and a lower trajectory. 1-2 grams doesn't make too much difference though. None of this matters much until you are comfortable with a style (amount of pitch vs. spin, stagger vs. straddle, anny, flat, hyzer, etc). At that point it's wise to choose a mold and weight that works best with your style.

Kc pros are a good way to go. They start out pretty overstable but once you get em seasoned, mmmmmm.

These are 174, 175, 176, (gold,green,green) gold is straight, middle green goes right a little, fresh green is pretty over stable (thrown flat w/ power). The middle is a www mold so it's slick, the others are sannys and have more grip. To your point the weight didn't make much difference with these, they all threw about the same fresh. All will go 300 and i'm not doing them full justice, it feels like there's more. I'm stuck on em

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 10
[ At that point it's wise to choose a mold and weight that works best with your style.[/QUOTE]

is there something somewhere that says what discs are better for what style?

Latest posts