• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting form drills

rusch_bag

* Ace Member *
Do these exist? I have been pretty good at throwing the frisbee for a long time, but putting has always been a challenge for me. I spent a lot of time filming myself yesterday trying to make changes, but found it extremely hard to actually make changes. Even when I would really try to exaggerate something, it would look like I was doing nothing different. I am a slow, nose down, push putter which is not a great combo. My brain does not comprehend how to spin putt at this point and even putting nose up seems impossible. Any advice from anyone?

What problems are you having with your putting (besides missing a lot)? What is your typical miss?

What problems are you having with your putting (besides missing a lot)? What is your typical miss?

Front center cage all day. With the slow, nose down flight, I have a hard time getting enough oomph on the shot to get it to the basket. If it is calm out, I can be successful, but any wind and I have no shot.

You have to throw it higher, a la Wysocki or Barsby, and trust it to drop. Put an obstacle halfway between you and the basket on a 20-25 foot putt. It could be a pole, a clothesline, a ladder, etc. You want to have the height of the obstacle be such that you cannot get over the obstacle and miss low. The goal is to train yourself to aim at a window in the air rather than a point on the basket. Putting over a tall obstacle forces you to shift the apex of the flight higher. You'll be surprised how many go in when you remove the option of missing low. When you find the window and get the putter flying through the same spot a couple inches above the obstacle, the putts will just drop in.

Not trying to be "that guy" and I am not the one to give putting advice since my hi-light reel resembles Evelina's.
But if you consistently hit center cage.....just aim up more.

I wish I could consistently hit center cage.

I would really love to figure out how to putt nose up.

Spend time playing with your release angles. Right now your putts come out on hyzer and nose down. Exaggerate different angles until you get a putt that flies nose up - even if doesn't go anywhere near the chains.

I recommend starting by trying to get your putt to come out on anhyzer. In my experience this has helped me get my putts more nose up. If you can release on them on an extreme anhyzer angle and they are nose up you can start to use that information (how it feels, what your wrist is doing) to change your real stroke.

vv6hEEZ.png

I would really love to figure out how to putt nose up.

Your wrist is in ulnar deviation ("pour the coffee" position) when you release the disc. This causes the disc to be nose-down when it leaves your hand.

Stick your hand out in front of you like you're about to shake hands. Now try to pull your thumb back towards your elbow. You should feel some tension or pressure at the base of the thumb where it meets the wrist. Your hand is now in radial deviation. Throw putts while trying to keep your hand in this position.

Think of push putting as a lob shot. You have to arc the disc into the basket....the farther away you are, the higher the arc has to be.

The best advice I got, from my instructor, for push putting was to make sure my chin was up. The wording was "aim your chin where you want your putter to go". Try focusing on just that for a while and see if it helps.

As for having the disc's nose up.....maybe it is how you are bringing the disc back....when you pull the disc back which part of the disc faces the basket? Is the mainly the top plate that faces the basket?* If so, that can lead to a nose down release. You would have to pivot the disc fully during the upswing/release to get it nose up. Try bringing it back towards your body with less of the top plate showing. Keep trying different amounts of angle until you find what works for you.

*Kevin Jones is the best example of a push putter who shows the top of the disc to the basket. But he bends his knees and gets the disc so low to the ground, that when he extends his legs, brings the disc up and releases it, the nose is up enough. I can't get that low to the ground, so when I push putt, I bring the disc back to the area of my knee while keeping the disc almost level. A bit of the top plate points at the basket, but not much of it.

I don't think you're getting your weight rocking/shifting all the way back compressed into the rear leg, and then your upper body is landing stacked in a kind of forced position with the plant knee leaking way forward as you go to release the putt. Really hard to get consistency and power that way.

Notice how Simon settles his butt and mass much more stacked over his rear leg in the backswing, then rocks forward but is still bracing with his knee behind his front ankle when he plants. I found it a lot easier to learn the full rocking putt like this.

oVETJlg.png

The form should feel a lot more like the power and stability you get when shoveling snow or doing something similar. It feels exactly like good BH form but oriented toward the basket. Mine got a lot better when I practiced putting with college textbooks. These threads might be helpful.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142854

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3863364&postcount=3

Look at the set of photos in Brychanus' post above and compare the photos, On the left, you start with the disc nose down and on a hyzer, while Simon starts more level. Now look at the right photos. Look at the angle of Simon's putter compared to yours. You have yours almost vertical; that will make it harder to get the disc nose up on release as you have to 'turn' it more in that short time.

I have spent a long time from being an awful putter to a mediocre putter, analyzing my form obsessively and trying out different things. Hopefully this helps you but might be bordering on Sheep-post length

GENERAL NOTES

1) First of all, accept that putting IS hard. Good putters miss short putts. Compared to throwing it requires fine motor skills which are a different part of the brain, as well as are affected by different factors and conditions. I also have this belief that in disc golf there are 3 fundamental throws: FH, BH, and putting. And for everyone one will come relatively easily while the other two will require mountains of work. Maybe for you you, putting is one of those one you have to work on and thats okay. Also even for good players it tends to come and go on a day to day or week to week basis.

2) Do you know how you get good at 30 foot putts? You get good at 25 foot putts. Do you know how you get good at 25 foot putts? You get good at 20 foot putts. etc. etc. Really focus on making short putts. I can live with missing 25-30 foot putts but 20 and in hurt. Really spend weeks, months at that short range to the point that it is automatic. I shot a 1006 rated round just by making everything 25 feet and in.

3) ACCURATELY MEASURE YOUR DISTANCES, take 7 large steps from the pole. That is 21 feet. You can do it. Mentally convince yourself that those are the only putts you need to make. You might be a better putter than you think you are because you're upset that you're not draining everything from 33 feet but in reality for now those are the only putts you need to make.

4) Mechanics: Mechanics are an underrated part of putting, and I think a lot of people gloss over them. However, the weird truth about putting is you can kind of do whatever as long as you practice enough. Putting mechanics aren't as "deterministic" as FH or BH mechanics. I find myself making more putts over time without really changing anything because every putt I take trains myself to some extent. There are a few commonalities though. The putting stroke should be comfortable to YOU. (Philo tip) The hand should finish inside the chains when you're inside the circle. The arm and the weight shift should move together in unison.

5) Practice. At a clinic put on by Drew Gibson in January someone asked what advice he had for putting. He said "Do 50,000 putts and then when you think you're good do 200,000 more". I think there is a fundamental truth to that. While some people pick up putting more naturally than others, there really is no replacement for sheer amounts of reps. We are talking literal years of practice. There was a video recently by Ohn Scoggins and her "secret" was just that she practices at least 15 minutes a day for years.

Ok, now on to YOU specifically:

1) Your timing is off. Credit to A Ray for pointing this out in my thread for my putt. Your body starts moving forward while your backswing has not completed yet. This creates a lot of problems but it naturally creates a nose down putt. It is very hard to putt nose up with your timing. Your body and your arm need to move forward in unison as close as possible. Nobody is perfect, a little bit of timing mismatch is not the end of the world, but yours is so mismatched that it makes it very hard to putt correctly. More on this on the next point.

2) Related to the previous point, because of your timing, You are doing the aesthetics of weight shift without actually using a weight shift. What I mean by that is you are shifting forward and then firing your hand up. You really are just flinging your arm up rather than using your whole body. You need to change the mental model of your putt to think of it like I am putting with my weight shift, not with my arm

3) You need to commit to a putting style. You are doing a nose down push putt like Ricky but you are pronating your hand at the end of it. Typically for push putters (ie ricky), you need to supinate (finish palm up), and for spin putting you pronate (finish palm down). The palm up putt helps mitigate some of the natural nose down aspect of push putting while the palm down helps mitigate the natural nose up release of a spin putt.

Also, as long as you push putt, it is very hard to be a true nose up putter. Nose-up releases are a feature of spin putts. For push putters, in the best case scenario you will release nose up but the putt will take a parabolic trajectory and "dive in" to the basket nose down. On a good putt I really feel like im "painting the pole" with my palm and index/middle/pinky as the brush.

4) Play around with posture/stance/positioning. I used to release a lot more putts nose down when I putted low like you. Now I still "push putt" but from a more upright stance. Instead of my hand going down to my knee level it now goes to more of my crotch level. I also don't take as wide of a stance because releated to point #2, its harder to generate the weight shift.

Above all, hang in there and keep at it. Be curious and play around with different things and over time your body and brain will synthesize that into something that is truly "your putt". Be aware that "over time" may be years. Like I said previously that even as a mediocre putter I have shot 1000+ rated rounds so know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. It just really is a slow grind.

I wanted to add another note that came to mind. There are references to Simon putting in this thread. Keep in mind that Simon is a spin putter and what you are demonstrating (intentionally or not) is a push putt.

Simon's core mechanic involves an intentional and active loading and unloading of the wrist. That is to say his weight shift isn't unimportant but it is not necessary to generate proper power inside the circle. Also the disc flies nose up by default. By contrast, as a push putter the weight shift is the core mechanic for generating power. The disc also tends to fly slightly nose down by default

Some useful videos:
Spin putting: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnOJ5q7BEgY/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Push putting (Strauss says he will create an in depth tutorial in the future but this is the best we have so far): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CMD1DelBN1B/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited:
Just want to note that both Ezra and Simon are using variants of the shift and rock I pointed out. I'd advise anyone to work on it whether or not you decide to spin or push putt. Simon still tends to rock such as in that short putt in the OT montage even though he is getting more power at the wrist than some other players - it works as a unit. You can also change the size or posture of the rock once you get it. My putt was a mess until I worked on the full rock whether I was spinning or pushing (mine's probably what some people call a "spush" now).

I agree that if you have a good spin/arm kinetics at the end you don't need much of a shift for power, which is part of why I liked learning it. It makes you more versatile when you end up in uneven terrain or have contested putts.

Intent is always interesting to me. Mine is unintentional (automatic) now, but like many things it did go through an intentional phase when learning it (e.g., throwing books as a learning aid). I can control how much comes through the wrist vs. other parts of the body as a result. I usually only need to think about it consciously again if it ever gets a little too wimpy - maybe that points to one potential advantage of a push putter. My rounds are better when I warm up and find the "sweet spot" and hit putts with a clear mind. At that point I'll stop doing additional putts immediately (because I start to think about them too much) and start the round and it shows in my score.

I still do not usually use "active" or "passive" language because I usually have no idea what it means mechanically, so I'll relink the way I learned arm kinetics in any case. Not a nitpick of you, Blayed, just a way that helped me through the darkness.

Last edited:
One idea I'd like to throw out there is putting blind.

I'd only try this once you've settled on the style of putt you plan to use and have a well established form. DO NOT do this if you're still deciding what disc to putt, whether you spin or push putt, etc. Only do this after you've made those decisions and have put in thousands of reps with the same form.

Once you get to that point, try some blindfolded putts from 30-50'. Hundreds of them.

It helped me. Don't know if it will help anyone else but it's worth a shot.

It taught me to trust my form and focus more on my body mechanics and less on the basket. Might sound counter intuitive in a way, but focusing more on my movements than what I'm aiming at increased my putting %.

Trust the form you've developed through repetition.

Just want to note that both Ezra and Simon are using variants of the shift and rock I pointed out. I'd advise anyone to work on it whether or not you decide to spin or push putt. Simon still tends to rock such as in that short putt in the OT montage even though he is getting more power at the wrist than some other players - it works as a unit. You can also change the size or posture of the rock once you get it. My putt was a mess until I worked on the full rock whether I was spinning or pushing (mine's probably what some people call a "spush" now).

I agree that if you have a good spin/arm kinetics at the end you don't need much of a shift for power, which is part of why I liked learning it. It makes you more versatile when you end up in uneven terrain or have contested putts.

Intent is always interesting to me. Mine is unintentional (automatic) now, but like many things it did go through an intentional phase when learning it (e.g., throwing books as a learning aid). I can control how much comes through the wrist vs. other parts of the body as a result. I usually only need to think about it consciously again if it ever gets a little too wimpy - maybe that points to one potential advantage of a push putter. My rounds are better when I warm up and find the "sweet spot" and hit putts with a clear mind. At that point I'll stop doing additional putts immediately (because I start to think about them too much) and start the round and it shows in my score.

I still do not usually use "active" or "passive" language because I usually have no idea what it means mechanically, so I'll relink the way I learned arm kinetics in any case. Not a nitpick of you, Blayed, just a way that helped me through the darkness.

I putt fairly similiar to simon by accident finding my form, and his putt is very powerful. You dont see simon "jump' putting or "step" putting very often, because .. well its stupid for one, but because he can generate tons of power with that putting style.

Where him and I differ is he has a slight hyzer to his putt, and I prefer to push mine on a slight anhyzer.

but 60 and in, that putting style is very powerful.

I putt fairly similiar to simon by accident finding my form, and his putt is very powerful. You dont see simon "jump' putting or "step" putting very often, because .. well its stupid for one, but because he can generate tons of power with that putting style.

Where him and I differ is he has a slight hyzer to his putt, and I prefer to push mine on a slight anhyzer.

but 60 and in, that putting style is very powerful.

I also found it neat that I don't need to step or jump out quite far (past circle 2) with this style if I don't want to.

I didn't really think about it, but it's also interesting that closer to the basket I tend to putt with just a touch of hyzer. Farther out it naturally turns into a bit of Anny flex just like Simon uses on some of those putts. I think the combo of the rock and wrist mechanics made it very easy to control those shots and they just kind of naturally result from the form. I'm surprised at how accurate those lines are even when I don't practice it much. So I got more C2 accuracy "for free" once I changed the putting style.

If you want to try spin putting, give this video a watch. Robbie C 'cuts' to his instructor and it is some really good advice for spin putting. I've been trying it as I don't get much power from my push putt (only good to 15 feet....really missing past that). I've gotten better out to 25 feet now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQaf3Mddlw

Latest posts