• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting frustration

I'm a big believer in the Mark Ellis approach to practicing. Practice making putts, not missing putts. If you can only reliably hit a ten foot putts, practice ten foot putts until you're able to do so without thinking. Then move to twelve feet, etc....

This has been my key. I have, literally, a two-second putt. I place my mini, place my foot, look up, quickly find my mark, rock, then release.

I found that once I started to think about my putts, I started ****ing things up. Made the choice to just line-up and drill, the way I do with stacks in the backyard, my putt has never been better.

Yes, I still miss occasional putts inside the circle, but compared to where I use to be, it's night and day.

I would say I'm a spin putter, but honestly, I don't think about it. I have just focused on doing what gets the disc in the basket most consistently.

This has been my key. I have, literally, a two-second putt. I place my mini, place my foot, look up, quickly find my mark, rock, then release.

I found that once I started to think about my putts, I started ****ing things up. Made the choice to just line-up and drill, the way I do with stacks in the backyard, my putt has never been better.

Yes, I still miss occasional putts inside the circle, but compared to where I use to be, it's night and day.

I would say I'm a spin putter, but honestly, I don't think about it. I have just focused on doing what gets the disc in the basket most consistently.

Nothing wrong with that. If that's your routine, your style, go for it. Works really well for Cameron Todd.

Personally I think push putting is a load of crap. You can't push a disc. It must spin to fly.

Nope. Lets' name some push putters -- Ricky Wysocki, Dave Feldberg, Nikko Locastro, Nate Sexton, Barry Schultz, Jeremy Koling, Steve Brinster, Ken Climo -- so 8 of the top 13 in the World.

and yep of course it does. As someone said, it's not a knuckleball.

the secret for a push putt is timing the use of your legs/core/butt to gain more distance. so regular inside the circle putts are like a boxing jab (where most of the power starts from the leg and you just guide the disc toward the pole with the arm) anyway.

but on longer putts you add even more leg/abs/butt/lower back/ (core) with more arm/wrist to gain distance. McBeth specifically releases with hyzer and hand oriented towards/vertical with pole which causes a hyzer flip. Thats how he keeps the disc relatively straight in flight (instead of a large hyzer line), just like a hyzer flip throw to lace a tight fairway.

inside the circle and unobstructed it can be argued that there are other putters who are just as good as McBeth putting, but McBeth can hit difficult stances (straddle, on on knee, stretched out on leg tippy toe behind mini, behind large obstruction), and is equally effective in the wind too (because his putt generates a lot of spin anyway). its his ability to hit putts in difficult situations (wind, bad stance, etc) that sets him apart from others.

I think what people who say they "can't" push putt do wrong is the middle finger in the wrong place. Try it with your regular fan grip, but get your middle finger (bird finger for those who don't know which one I'm talking about) as high forward under the flight plate as you can. Then regualr push putt with a locked arm -- and as you push forward and spring the wrist, the disc should roll off your fingers and the middle finger is the last one it comes off of. Point that one at your target as you wrist spring/open up/expel the disc, all at the same time. If it weren't for all the hand opening up, you'd feel like you were shooting the bird right at the spot you're aiming.

Damn... That's right in front of Frisci Disc Golf Shop... Lee St. & Porter. My best friend's mom used to have a Coffee shop right there I would always hang out at when I was a kid/teen. (god, that was a long time ago)

Cool to see McBeth in my hometown. Thanks for posting that one, Doc. Hadn't see it.

Latest posts