• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Games

Dr_Johnson

Does anyone have any putting games they play for practice? Several of the putting videos I have seen recommend using putting games for training, and I'd love to hear some of your favorites. The 2 feet of snow outside keep me from doing much else. A couple that come to mind that I play in my basement: I play HORSE with my brother to practice a variety of tough putting positions. Sometimes, I will start close to the basket with all of my putters and move back each time I make a putt seeing how far back I get.

I like to do a sort of around the world putting game, where you designate different locations you have to hit a putt from.

My buddy invented a "disc cricket" game. Similar to the darts game, but instead of hitting numbers 15-20 plus bullseye, you hit 3 putts from 15,20,25,30,35,40,50 ft. I'll try and get the rules from him to post. Its really fun

I start at a relatively short distance like 15 feet. I take two putters and putt from that distance. If I make both, then I step back one step. If I miss both, I step forward one step. If I make one and miss one, I stay where I am. I repeat this process until I reach a relative equilibrium. It has been a helpful tool.

This requires two baskets same size apart just before outside the circle say 30 feet as it is 33.5 feet to be on the circle or outside, and play horse shoes with your putters using a min for each of you set to pole of baskets. Disc in basket 3 points,disc hit the top part 2, disc hit the basket bottom 1, disc hit pole in basket then bounce out a 2 as well. Nothing for grazing chain as that is easy to do a cut though. you do not use your opponents putters but if they only have 1 putter they putt with then they go 3 times with same disc you can toss the disc back to the opponent, or if you want you play with only one as well. I use two main putters and a Uphill/Downhill putter as well as a hard version (old main putter) of the main putter for windy days so I would use all putters of same model/mold. If baskets are different size then swich after 11 points 22 is total like in Horseshoes.

Last edited:
I start at a relatively short distance like 15 feet. I take two putters and putt from that distance. If I make both, then I step back one step. If I miss both, I step forward one step. If I make one and miss one, I stay where I am. I repeat this process until I reach a relative equilibrium. It has been a helpful tool.

I do the same thing with 3 putters and usually start around 7 paces/21'ish. Obviously this is all up to you.

3/3 = 1 step further
2/3 = same distance
1/3 = 1 step closer
0/3 = 2 steps closer

I also vary where I am relative to the basket so it's not just the same angle/look every time, to try to ignore stuff around me.

I play a game called 'make all the putts'

I get my stack of 15 putters, and try to make them all from a designated distance. If I make them all, I move out 3'. If I don't make them all, I do it again. Sometimes I'm at 20' for a whole session. The only thing that matters is making putts, some people find it boring to practice this way but it doesn't bother me.