• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting help

+10 internets for those that suggested lead foot position.

Whenever I had previously tried pointing my foot off target I always did it half way. From there my body was at an angle to the basket and I started my pull from left hip. This of course resulted in even more missing right as I was pulling across my body left to right.

I had dismissed the advice off hand as been there tried that, but then I decided to go all the way. With a 9 o'clock foot position I banged a ton of long putts today. I finally realized that if I turned my foot and body enough I could putt off the right hip with power and my hand had no opportunity to stray right.

I feel like this may be a new era for my 20 year long battle with bad putting.

9 o'clock?

How is this even possible? What is the back foot doing?

Who's the pro from the 90s that used to putt with his back toward the basket? Now THAT is a successful strategy...

I have had the same problem. It seems to me like a grip lock or misaligned wrist, although nothing I have done has seemed to fix this issue. Most of the time the putts are fine, however these "shanks" happen often enough to destroy confidence especially from close distance. I seriously do no think it is a weight shift issue, but potentially a stance or grip issue. Bellow is a link to my putting, all of them were solid until the putt at 1:07. That putt is the one shown zoomed in and quarter speed following the clip of the first few putts. This one in particular missed by about 5 feet left and 5 feet high.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8b2P1ndub7pY0RJemUtOWEtcjA/view?usp=sharing

I get the miss on the right as well. It's usually a timing issue on long putts when I need more power. I'll move my arm before my lower body. It's also probably a focus and follow through issue.

I understand why we follow through with the hand pointing at the center of the basket but it's very difficult when I actually try to do this. When I'm "on", it just happens. Any tips on how to work on this?

I've also been experimenting with different stances. If I point my right foot directly at the basket and lean over, I usually have less misses right. The downside is that I lack power.

Latest posts