• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Issues

Dialing in the upshot so you aren't dealing with as many long putts? Doing practice throws from 50-100'?

So you're saying that in order to improve your putting you should get closer to the basket? That's brilliant!

So you're saying that in order to improve your putting you should get closer to the basket? That's brilliant!

lol. In order to improve your scoring, minimize the throws in your weak spot.

But, since putting (and DG) has a large mental component, if you aren't doing a lot of long putting you might be more confident and relaxed and start to putt better in general.

Apology accepted doodoo.

^^He's talking about putting. Improving upshots and other weaknesses is probably a topic for another thread.

Peace Tex, do ya partake in any RoDeOes down yonder? 😁

^^He's talking about putting. Improving upshots and other weaknesses is probably a topic for another thread.

Peace Tex, do ya partake in any RoDeOes down yonder? 😁

He's also talking about 5-8 extra throws in a round of golf.

I did ask him several other questions to better understand his issues.

Sometimes there's more than one issue you have to work on. If he just said, "my putting sucks, how do I fix it?" There are a bunch of good ideas here. What he wants is to shave 5-8 strokes off a round. Obviously putting is important to that, but DG is still a game of strategy. Do you know if his upshots are dialed in?

And no, I don't RoDeO. Do you do multi-layer problem solving?

Have a nice day doo.

He's also talking about 5-8 extra throws in a round of golf.

I did ask him several other questions to better understand his issues.

Sometimes there's more than one issue you have to work on. If he just said, "my putting sucks, how do I fix it?" There are a bunch of good ideas here. What he wants is to shave 5-8 strokes off a round. Obviously putting is important to that, but DG is still a game of strategy. Do you know if his upshots are dialed in?

And no, I don't RoDeO. Do you do multi-layer problem solving?

Have a nice day doo.
Yes I agree, shorter putts save strokes.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I was straddle putting and once I got to the point of far enough away to not get power from my legs, then the wrist action really stepped up the right misses and it all collapsed from there. Additionally I have one of those bullseye style baskets and it requires such a precise throw from further away that any gains made from the smaller target were being lost psychologically by the high percentage of misses.

The Eagle videos were very helpful. As a former straddle putter the arm motion already made sense, but adding in the staggered stance and using my legs to propel the disc has made the distance effortless now, which means a quieter hand too. Time to putt a few thousand times to groove it in.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I was straddle putting and once I got to the point of far enough away to not get power from my legs, then the wrist action really stepped up the right misses and it all collapsed from there. Additionally I have one of those bullseye style baskets and it requires such a precise throw from further away that any gains made from the smaller target were being lost psychologically by the high percentage of misses.

The Eagle videos were very helpful. As a former straddle putter the arm motion already made sense, but adding in the staggered stance and using my legs to propel the disc has made the distance effortless now, which means a quieter hand too. Time to putt a few thousand times to groove it in.

good deal.

Something that has helped me--though I still suck at putting, but a little less is to put a little hyzer or anhyzer on the throw so you have a simpler flight path. Trying to throw flat may be the way for great putters, but it gives me more grief than success.

Something that has helped my putting feel much more automatic and accurate was a post slowplastic made in a putting thread can't remember from where 🤔

Anyways, relax your arm just as you do in a throw. Stop strong arming your putts just like people strong arm their drives. Sounds simple right?

A weight transfer never felt good to me and I constantly would shank short putts, why?

The answer was simple my arm was tight and flexed and I was using my arm to putt. When you are tense you miss and you shank. Simply loosen your grip and arm. Much more than you would ever think possible... and putt.

Dingle arm putt.

I push putt with some spin and my weight transfer and stance is very similar to Calvin Heimberg. Used to try to copy Rickys old style from 2014-15. But now Calvins push off the rear foot feels so powerful because it is forcing the putt forward not my arm. Jump putt? Do the same thing loosen your arm. Barley gripping the disc I can jump putt from 70 feet out and hip the basket. Your wrist naturally pops due to lag. You will never have lag in your putt with a tight arm, same as in a drive.

Putting is just like driving, it's crazy. Give this a try it will also force you to relax on those difficult putts because you have to relax your arm.

Something that has helped my putting feel much more automatic and accurate was a post slowplastic made in a putting thread can't remember from where 🤔

Anyways, relax your arm just as you do in a throw. Stop strong arming your putts just like people strong arm their drives. Sounds simple right?

A weight transfer never felt good to me and I constantly would shank short putts, why?

The answer was simple my arm was tight and flexed and I was using my arm to putt. When you are tense you miss and you shank. Simply loosen your grip and arm. Much more than you would ever think possible... and putt.

Dingle arm putt.

I push putt with some spin and my weight transfer and stance is very similar to Calvin Heimberg. Used to try to copy Rickys old style from 2014-15. But now Calvins push off the rear foot feels so powerful because it is forcing the putt forward not my arm. Jump putt? Do the same thing loosen your arm. Barley gripping the disc I can jump putt from 70 feet out and hip the basket. Your wrist naturally pops due to lag. You will never have lag in your putt with a tight arm, same as in a drive.

Putting is just like driving, it's crazy. Give this a try it will also force you to relax on those difficult putts because you have to relax your arm.

Yep! For me, in both drives and putts, it helps to have a dynamic grip on the disc. One that only clamps down at all when you need to clamp down. My thumb comes off the flight plate entirely during my putting backswing actually.

My thumb comes off the flight plate entirely during my putting backswing actually.

Ok. So I would love to see a picture of this to satisfy my curiosity. I have trouble picturing how a disc can be retained with any sort of control with the thumb completely off the flight plate.

Not doubting your technique or ragging on you by any means. Just can't picture it.

Ok. So I would love to see a picture of this to satisfy my curiosity. I have trouble picturing how a disc can be retained with any sort of control with the thumb completely off the flight plate.

Not doubting your technique or ragging on you by any means. Just can't picture it.

The fleshy base of my thumb still holds the disc in place, but I do not pinch with the actual digit to create a pivot point until I need to. Not saying this is ideal, but doing this helps me keep my arm loose to receive the momentum from a weight shift. A light pinch is probably the better alternative that I will move onto eventually.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 73
Thanks. I have small hands and my meaty part isn't very meaty. If I lifted my thumb I'd probably just drop the disc.

Even crazier are guys who throw like this: Josh Anthon

IiSa84.gif

Do not force a putter just due to a single pro who uses the mold of the fact a bunch sponsored with a company use one mold.

I did but only due to winning a disc to take from a selection of discs, a Putt'r and the mold was fine, the Soft X does not work for lids. I wanted a better lid that was not a Pole Cat but was similar in height and not a taller Birdy/Rattler, the top to wing/edge corner is not comfortable on Pole Cat. The Sonic would have been great but the mold was too brittle and the other plastics it can be made in either the disc is too light say 140 grams and under depending on the plastic or is too randomly made in the R-Pro. I had however by the time the Sonic came out found the Magnet to work for what I need so I was not as concerned for finding a better putter for my game.