• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting my arm by my side lets me throw nose down, with less wobble. Why?

Nick Carroll

Par Member
I finally had a breakthrough in my form, as terrible as it is, but I am crowdsourcing for information here because I am hoping more experienced people might know why.

This is 2 throws where I put my off arm against my side, and use it to keep the shoulder of the off arm closer to the level of the shoulder of the throwing arm. The first one standstill, the second one with a 3-step walk-up.

That said, you can see both shoulders are still not quite on the same plane. The throwing shoulder is still higher. But something about using my off arm (similar to Jakub Semerád) by my side, and specifically using it to elevate the shoulder of my off arm, has allowed me to dramatically reduce my nose angle from 4-8 typically, to 0-4, and without even trying, I even get negative nose angles like -1 through -4.

To be clear, I'm not adjusting my grip whatsoever. There's no cue, and quite frankly I was shocked to see the results from Tech Disc. I'm literally just trying to keep my throwing shoulder down, and off shoulder up, but both out to allow for more disc movement through the power pocket.

And regarding the wobble, it's still there, just a lot more often it's in the range of 4, with a lot less variance when I throw this way. It's not uncommon to have 8 or more wobble no matter what I do.

I have plans to test this on the course this weekend, and I plan to do more adjustments, such as more of a hyzer tilt, but this was from my first session trying this, and I am still trying to grapple with why.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Without looking back at other videos to see what you were otherwise doing with your off hand, I'd suggest you are minimizing the influence of the off arm by binding it in with your core.

It may be that whatever you were doing before was causing a disruption to the swing? Now you've removed that disruption?

Usually what I find/others find is that when the rear arm becomes part of your balance and more centered (as you get off the rear leg and plant to throw, minimally), you have more control over other parts of the move as you move/commit the disc out.

I actually also had more control over intentionally throwing nose up or intentional OAT on some shots after I keep "not spilling the beverage" because you have a more dynamically stable movement and it gets easier to manipulate parts in the long run.

If you add a little more side bend into your move overall you'll get more from your core.

Last edited:
I agree with the disturbance in the force/balance. I call it the Marc Jarvis off arm, hand leveraging on thigh.

If you look at vid behind tee I think your shoulder is swinging behind(right/east) your knee instead of out over it(left/west). So you are too upright or leaning back, instead of more athletic/chest forward position.

Thank you to everyone who responded. A common thread from a lot of people has been I am standing up too straight or leaning too much to the side (the side of the throwing shoulder) but I just can't get the "posture and tilt" right. I think the off arm is a part of it, with that shoulder depressing, and the throwing shoulder elevating.

So I've been thinking for awhile about fixing that. But I do drills like the butt wipe drills, and different one leg drills, and it's just not clicking. The instant I try to throw a disc somewhere, the body's like "we're just not going to do any of that - good luck!" 😂

Thank you to everyone who responded. A common thread from a lot of people has been I am standing up too straight or leaning too much to the side (the side of the throwing shoulder) but I just can't get the "posture and tilt" right. I think the off arm is a part of it, with that shoulder depressing, and the throwing shoulder elevating.

So I've been thinking for awhile about fixing that. But I do drills like the butt wipe drills, and different one leg drills, and it's just not clicking. The instant I try to throw a disc somewhere, the body's like "we're just not going to do any of that - good luck!" 😂

For me that was a combination of double dragon, buttwipe, hershyzer and for some reason slow motion drill by Sidewinder. It somehow clicked while doing the slow motion drill (and looking back im pretty sure I did it wrong) and I just started throwing everything straight to the sky and continued sucking big time at discgolf for a couple of months after. Maybe part of what makes the transition difficult is that it feels completely different and will have you adjust a lot of stuff about your throw.

For me that was a combination of double dragon, buttwipe, hershyzer and for some reason slow motion drill by Sidewinder. It somehow clicked while doing the slow motion drill (and looking back im pretty sure I did it wrong) and I just started throwing everything straight to the sky and continued sucking big time at discgolf for a couple of months after. Maybe part of what makes the transition difficult is that it feels completely different and will have you adjust a lot of stuff about your throw.
Thank you, I will try those other drills as well.

Latest posts