• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting regressing. What the hell?

The name of the game is consistency. You already know that good putting requires a definitive touch, and the tiniest changes in form can make the difference between "CHING!" and out of the money.
Well the disc is the same. Each of those minute differences in shape will leave your guaranteed putt just off the basket if you switch back and forth between different molds [for most players---some freaks get away with anything].
Find a putter you like. Get 5-10 of 'em. Practice. And don't stand there wagging your putter at the basket and thinking about two dozen things. THROW.

Last edited:
I went through the same thing recently. I practice putting almost every day and I realized I was so focused on my form I was not focusing on the basket. The worse it got the more I over analyzed my form and it kept getting worse. It is so easy to blame the arrow and not the archer.

One piece of advice from another putter in training. Don't fight your natural form, build it up and weed out the bad parts.

I have picked up some good advice over the last year, watched a bunch of videos, and tried a handful of different putters. I had highs and lows. The more I overthought or forced out my natural stroke the worse it was. So I relaxed and took note of what I do well. Combining that with good advice on aim/situational awareness and practice and things are progressing nicely. At the least it is forward progress.

Find a putter that feels good in your hand...focus on the style that works for you. Practice with that basket 30 minutes a day in 2 15 minute sessions. Pick a distance you know you can make and focus for the 15 minutes on making that distance. Only use two putters. As you do this, your confidence builds and you can get to a farther distance little by little. Do this for a month and see what happens. btw if the ion didn't work because of lack of spin, try a classic blend judge or go back to the anode. It just takes practice and focus.

Start taking that Magnet to bed with you. Talk to it, praise it, tell it how great it is. Take it out to nice places, don't forget to say your sorry when you have to. She will treat you right, it just takes a lot of work.

:clap:

If you find a consistent putting technique/routine, stick with it. Don't try to change your style because you have a few bad putting rounds or go through a slump. Everybody does. I made the mistake of completely changing my style from one that worked (spin putting) to more of a lever/push putt simply because I wasn't making them like I had in the past.

The lever putt became more comfortable but still wasn't giving the results I had with the spin putt. When I tried to go back to spinning, it was hard not to incorporate some aspects of the lever putt as a matter of habit. Everything came out off, usually lacking the proper spin. This changed the direction, height, and mostly my confidence when I stepped over putts.

When the spin putts didn't hit I reverted back to the lever. As a result I almost forgot how to spin putt. Now I'm going back to my roots and sticking to it.

Like others have said. You know how to putt. Just put it in the basket, whatever means you use to do so. And practice, practice, practice.

practice putts you can make even if that means 10 footers... you are training your head that you don't miss putts...your arm already knows how to throw the disc in the basket.

Read a book or two on the mental game. Either Golf is Not a Game of Perfect or Zen Golf, both available in amazon.com.

pick a putter and stick with it, many good options have already been provided, and then practice.

also try to keep your head clear. i know sometimes my mind start wondering when i'm practicing on concentrating on what i'm doing helps.

Read a book or two on the mental game. Either Golf is Not a Game of Perfect or Zen Golf, both available in amazon.com.

I would recommend these as well. Go with Golf is Not a Game of Perfect if you only want to read one. It is great.

I echo a lot of things in this thread.

A good putter is good with any putter. Maybe just decide if you like stable or over stable ones.

Practice with purpose. Just like when I used to go to the driving range to hit golf balls, you don't just hit balls. You hit fades and hook shots at the pins out there. Don't putt with an extra putter in your hand if you don't do that on the course. Build muscle memory.

I too putted from 15 ft until I never missed one, then I just moved back and put more spin on it.

Slumps happen, even to the best, fight through them.

I had a basket but I really wasn't practicing. It wasn't until I put my setup in the basement (and started doing more laundry/finding excuses to go toss I few) that my friends and I noticed a change in my putting.

Oh and like someone else said, don't fight your style. I've tried to copy all the pros out there. There is no wrong way to putt. Especially if its comfortable to you.

I'm going through it right now. Used magnets for ever..

Now I've tried judges, pures, prodigy putters, clutches Voodoos and wizards.

If i could putt!!! I would be a pro!!! Its all about the putts!!! One thing that seperates the pros from the nots is the putting!!!! They make those 30fts+ like we make those ten footers!! Thats it!!! Just practice!!!!! Practice!!! You will get worse before you get better!!!!

I've tried a bunch of putters, but I'm now settled on Vibram Summits. Truth be told though, the putter is really a minor factor in your putting success. Beyond how the disc feels in your hand, a true "putt" is far more a function of consistent technique and confidence.

I went through a period late last summer where my putting slumped after it had been perhaps the most solid part of my game. What I realized was that I was rushing putts. Putting had become too automatic, and I wasn't taking the few extra seconds to make sure I was lined up properly, that I was making a clean throw, technique wise. Once I slowed it back down, my consistency returned.

Just my $0.02

Latest posts