• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putting routine

rehder

Double Eagle Member
So Im struggling to find a routine that will help me focus on the basket, and improve my putting.

I have a tendency to lose focus at the critical point and end with eyes that wander and then when I putt I miss, because my eyes wherent looking at the middle of the basket, but next to it.
So anybody have any good routine/drill tips, to help with maintaining focus when putting?

rehder said:
So Im struggling to find a routine that will help me focus on the basket, and improve my putting.

I have a tendency to lose focus at the critical point and end with eyes that wander and then when I putt I miss, because my eyes wherent looking at the middle of the basket, but next to it.
So anybody have any good routine/drill tips, to help with maintaining focus when putting?

The greatest short term motivation is fear (reward is a better for long term motivation). If you are easily distracted (ADHD or something?) maybe you should remind yourself of the danger of missing and how darn easy it is to miss. You can hit a lot of metal and still pick your putter out of the dirt. To make a short putt is no great feat. Anyone can make a short putt. It is MISSING a putt which matters.

It is like playing against a weaker opponent. Winning is expected and nothing to brag about. Losing though, is a big deal.

I take the time to set up on 10 foot putts because I am afraid of missing. I might miss but it won't be because I didn't try hard enough.

My putting routine doesn't generate focus. It gives me a familiar pattern to follow which, through long practice, makes me feel more confident and therefore increases my chance of success. I set up and ensure my balance. I consider the wind, the elevation, the line, the risk and choose my strategy and commit to it. Once I commit, I put fear aside. I might succeed. I might fail miserably but I won't miss out of fear. Unless I am having one of those terrible days where nothing works right I won't miss out of indifference.

Putting is very personal. Each of us has a mental processes which is unique to our self. What works for me may be counter-productive for you. Who knows, I might change mine tomorrow (probably not given how long I have been doing this but never say never). But I was too bad a putter for too long to lose the fear that if I don't try hard enough I will miss.

I pick one link on a chain and focus on that, instead of focusing on the whole basket. It seems to make it less likely for my aim to drift off-target.

Lately a trick that works for me to to focus on the thumb angle at release. I go through an aiming and visualization routine before the shot too, but during the putt I just pay attention to where the thumb points and what angle it's at. The nice thing about this is that usually when a putt goes off-line I can think back and realize the thumb was also off-line, and I can adjust for it on the next putt.

rehder said:

Making this drill up right now... go through whatever pre-putt motion you like, line up, focus on either the center of the pole (many courses around here have a sticker or ribbon for added visability, I generally aim at that) or a link near the center. Make your putt, and HOLD your follow through, eyes on the spot of focus for a 5 second count. Then repeat, just force yourself to finish like you are posing for a picture and focus on the spot you are trying to hit.

I noticed everybody starts hitting their shots after we smoke a doob

I also find it helps to look right at the pole and jerk it with the disc a couple times