Putting technique- 'Flick' off of index finger? Also, distance putting style?

sandolorian

1. Is it considered bad form to putt with your index finger on the inside of the rim, and sort of flick the disc from that finger on release?

I can get more spin and a little more distance doing this, but not sure if it's going to hurt my putting in the long run. Before discovering Disc golf, my wife and I often threw a floppy aerobie disc back and forth, and that's how I threw with pretty good accuracy. When I started with DG, I was putting this way, but switched to placing my index under the rim (last knuckle crease on the bead) or on the outside of the rim after watching youtube videos suggesting these grips. However I struggle a lot with early release, releasing on hyzer, and/or way too low.

2. Most putting instructional videos show spin putts starting near your belt and throwing forward. I can't get more than about 35ft with this throw. Is it considered bad form to putt longer distances with more of a backhand throw? I can get a lot farther, and make around the same number of putts (without much practice) but I'm not sure if it would hurt me in the long run to try practice that type of throw. The biggest problem I noticed so far is that if I miss it sails way past the basket.

to 1) I think most pro players putt with their index finger on the lower side of the rim like McBeth. Although some pro players like Gannon Buhr put their index finger on the underside of the rim and also use that finger for some finger pop. I suspect Calvin also puts his finger on the inside of the rim but I cant find any video to confirm this right now.

1713383146719.jpeg

I think this shows him with his index finger inside the rim when putting but I would rather see some video to really confirm that.

If Calvin also puts his index finger inside the rim I would put out the hypothesis that players with a stronger finger pop will put their index finger inside the rim as you can get a better flick going that way.

I played around with putting grips for a bit because I really struggled with that generally and especially with longer putts. I found that the index finger on the inside of the rim generated more power in my finger spring, but also lead to more inconsistencies in the release of it so I just went to a standard McBeth putting grip.

to 2) I think it helps to think of your putt like you would think of a drive. There is a Sidewinder video about this that I cannot for the life of me find right now. So when you think about the putt like that you get some options to increase your distance. You can close off your stance a little. Compare McBeth and Calvin here. McBeth like to close his stance off to the target a little while calvin just stands there open to it (sorry for the horrible picture quality here). This way you can make it closer to an upshot/backhand throw without actually making it one. With the closed off McBeth stance it is also easier to generate power from your weight shift.

Unbenannt.png

For me a lot of putting distance has come with putting practice and connecting the weight shift better to the putt. With time and practice you also get stronger hands for a better finger spring.

You can also consult this very helpful video

Last edited:
When Gannon says he's extending his fingers without moving his wrist, he's extending his wrist.

When Gannon says he's extending his fingers without moving his wrist, he's extending his wrist.
Yeah I also think he is not doing the finger pop like he demonstrates with his index finger as a pivot point. I think he just extends his fingers forward like everyone else does a finger pop.

to 1) I think most pro players putt with their index finger on the lower side of the rim like McBeth. Although some pro players like Gannon Buhr put their index finger on the underside of the rim and also use that finger for some finger pop. I suspect Calvin also puts his finger on the inside of the rim but I cant find any video to confirm this right now.

View attachment 338114

I think this shows him with his index finger inside the rim when putting but I would rather see some video to really confirm that.

If Calvin also puts his index finger inside the rim I would put out the hypothesis that players with a stronger finger pop will put their index finger inside the rim as you can get a better flick going that way.

I played around with putting grips for a bit because I really struggled with that generally and especially with longer putts. I found that the index finger on the inside of the rim generated more power in my finger spring, but also lead to more inconsistencies in the release of it so I just went to a standard McBeth putting grip.

to 2) I think it helps to think of your putt like you would think of a drive. There is a Sidewinder video about this that I cannot for the life of me find right now. So when you think about the putt like that you get some options to increase your distance. You can close off your stance a little. Compare McBeth and Calvin here. McBeth like to close his stance off to the target a little while calvin just stands there open to it (sorry for the horrible picture quality here). This way you can make it closer to an upshot/backhand throw without actually making it one. With the closed off McBeth stance it is also easier to generate power from your weight shift.

View attachment 338113

For me a lot of putting distance has come with putting practice and connecting the weight shift better to the putt. With time and practice you also get stronger hands for a better finger spring.

You can also consult this very helpful video

Thanks so much for the details reply! Some videos I've seen made it sound like the finger pop is more of a 'push the disc upward' motion. However, Gannon's "push the disc forward" description may be part of what i was missing. I'm going to try this as soon as I can. Also, I had only seen the leading with your elbow once before in OT's recent video on 100ft putts. Gannon's description of 'whipping' your arm makes sense too. Hopefully those two things will help!

I can totally see how flinging it off of the index finger can lead to inconsistencies, so thanks for sharing your experiences too. That's kind of what I was worried about and didn't want to waste time practicing it if not the best way.

Thanks so much for the details reply! Some videos I've seen made it sound like the finger pop is more of a 'push the disc upward' motion. However, Gannon's "push the disc forward" description may be part of what i was missing. I'm going to try this as soon as I can.
Yeah for me it is also more of a forward feeling. It takes a lot of time to get used to some finger pop, like 6 months when you practice it multiple times a week. You can also point your wrist towards the sky and see how far you can pop the disc straight up. The added resistance from the angle makes it a little bit easiert to feel how to push it with your fingers.

Also, I had only seen the leading with your elbow once before in OT's recent video on 100ft putts. Gannon's description of 'whipping' your arm makes sense too. Hopefully those two things will help!
Tried that one as well. At first I tried it with the elbow really leading but after doing it for some time it manifested in my putt by feeling some tension right below my elbow in my forearm when putting which gave it a little more power. Interested in how it is gonna work for you.

As to your second question in the original post I also thought of this observation:

See how Philo brings his putter back beneath his groin while loading his back leg, and once he goes forward the putter first travel up to his belly button before getting pushed out in front. This little circular motion also helped some with finding more power in a putt.

Latest posts