• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putting technique

should i change my technique

• yes

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • no

Votes: 26 72.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Circleyrvowels

Bogey Member
i have a question i would like to get some input on from non pro players. I putt with my finger in the outside rim of the disc and it seems to work pretty well for me. My putting has improved since i started this put every clinic or video i watch says to do what is natural but a lot also say not to do that. So should i keep practicing like that or change grips because the finger on the outside will hurt me in the long run?
thanks

I putt the same way, and I've been curious about this too, but I've decided it feels more comfortable to me, and I'm having pretty damn good success with it, so I'm not changing it.

anytime you change your form you will initially digress then you will begin to see improvements.This goes for putting or driving. If you do decide to change your form, stick with it long enough to see if you can get improvements. I would not change anything unless you are plateauing.
I have changed my putting a few times, it's good to try new things, but it is more important to be confident.

I also putt the same way, but i'm gonna try different grips when i can actually start p;aying this spring. If it works well for you and you are confident and consistant, stick with it. if it's not working so well, then try something new.

Just use what ever works. I have seen some strange grips and strange throws, but it worked for them. If it works for you, go for it.

I putt the same way and a lot of clinics i see they do it that way too.

People have different shaped/sized hands and bodies. If you get a clean release, with minimal or no flutter, then there isn't a need to change. If you don't get a clean release 95%+ of the time you need to work on finding a grip which allows for a comfortable, smooth, powerful release of the disc.

I had a local pro tell me to put my index finger under the rim. It took a bit of getting used to, but now I'm hitting far more putts from 20' and out because I can put more spin on the disc that way.

That being said, do what works for you. I putt with a birdie grip, using my middle finger on the flight plate, to hold the disc level.

Find what works.Concentrate on that. Practice with all the same putters,and practice as much as possible. The main thing is confidence, mainly on the course. You can tear it up in the backyard,throw after throw, but lose it when it counts.

i have a question i would like to get some input on from non pro players. I putt with my finger in the outside rim of the disc and it seems to work pretty well for me. My putting has improved since i started this put every clinic or video i watch says to do what is natural but a lot also say not to do that. So should i keep practicing like that or change grips because the finger on the outside will hurt me in the long run?
thanks

The most important question is why have you asked for non-pro opinions? Has someone steered you wrong in the past? Have you ever played with me?

I'm gonna go against the curve and say yes you should change your grip. It will lead to more consistent putting in the future, but crappy putting in the present. I used to putt with my finger on the rim, and I'm happy I switched, no matter how hard it was

no I've watched alot of videos of pros on the internet and almost all of them say not to do what I do yet they also say find a routine thats comfortable and this is for me but i also feel like maybe i'm missing out on something

The most important question is why have you asked for non-pro opinions? Has someone steered you wrong in the past? Have you ever played with me?
no i have not played with you but i've seen alot of videos on the internet and most pros say not to do what i do yet they all say to do what feels natural and comfortable and that for me is putting with my finger on the rim

You should do what gets the disc in the basket the highest percentage.

I used to putt with finger like that on the rim and Avery Jenkins told me not to. So I don't anymore and I think I putt better as a result. Fewer poor releases seem to result.