• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting with drivers and/or midranges

Boneman

This may be a silly question, but hey, this sport is about nothing if not experimentation. My putting has been giving me problems lately, and on a lark I tried a round using my midrange for putting. It seemed more comfortable than I had felt in a while, and I actually started to make some baskets with it.

Is this a completely ridiculous concept?

no you just need to find a putter which is more suitable for your style. a lot of putters are as fast as mids and some mids can be nearly as slow as a putter.

Lots of putters out there which provide a sleeker/slimmer feel like a mid if that's what you like. All putters can fly pretty far so just start working a few out which feel good to you.

I think the guy above me had too much too drink.

Hard to putt far with a driver, hello fade. It can work better in high wind though. Mids are ok although they tend to float further and fade a little more.

Depends on what you feel is "Far" We recently held a putter only mini. The majority of the guys were surprised to find they could still throw past 300 ft with their putter and their scores were very comparable to a normal round. With the putters it comes down to having good form instead of getting by with just the fast speed and long glide you get from a driver.

To answer the OPs question, some people putt with drivers and mids but you rarely see it outside of the Rec division.

No, not uncommon at all. I putted for quite awhile with a Star Mako or a beat to death Buzzz before I found a putter that fit my style. Anything with a rim depth over 1.4CM may feel ok in the store when shopping, but they do not release well for me. Finally settled on a Zero Hard Spike and a DX Dart.

I'm pretty sure everyone has tried it at least a few times. The thing to remember is whatever makes it go in the basket the easiest for you is perfectly fine. The drawback of using a mid or driver for putts is they are a sleeker and don't "grab" the chains quite as well as a putter does. But I actually do have a mid I use for low ceiling putts where my standard putter won't quite get there. Also putters tend to settle easier if you miss the basket, where a driver/mid might skip or roll.

Give us a bit more info. What mids are you using? For my style, a Mako works well for longer/low ceiling putts. I wouldn't really want to use my M2 though.

That said, whatever disc gets in the basket is the best to use whether it is a driver, mid, or putter.

The biggest drawback I can think of is that if you miss, your disc is likely to be farther away than if you had used a putter.

That said, whatever saves you strokes.

If you like the feel of a mid I would look into either the Chief or Shaman from Gateway, the xd from Innova, or the Ringer from Discraft. Sure that there are more like this.

Last night I played a round with a Rhyno, Ontario star Classic Roc, and a couple of XD's of different stability and had a blast. The course was set up long but I had no problem reaching the baskets by the 2nd shot and scored even with 2 birds and 2 boges.

Missed the ability to skip on the low canopys so I dropped in from above instead which isn't my usual MO. Putter only rounds definately get you experimenting.

Latest posts