• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Woes

KDDEBOER

Par Member
Putting. The bane of so many player's game.

Lately I've been extatic about my putts in the 25-35 foot range. It feels like I sink about 60% of them, and the ones I miss are usually just low and hit the basket. Zoom in to the 10-15 feet and 90% of my putts seem to go wide right of the basket. It's frustrating that I get more birdies from great putts over 30 feet than I do from great drives that land 15 feet from the pin. In fact, the later turn into bogies more frequently than not.

I know that most of this is my mental game, thinking "I just sunk that awesome putt so this one is no problem!" I guess I'm wondering, how many other folks seem to run into this problem?

at 10-15 feet it is all mental. you don't need any weight shift and should be automatic. if you are pulling it right then it is coming out a little late. at that distance you should be able to pick out a single link and drill it. line up your shot on the pole, 'paint the pole' is the phrase i've heard and use, pick a link, and just let go of it.

after 19 years of preaching that if you limit your motion you will limit your mistakes I switched to my wind pull which is a motion based straight line drill putt. It is most effective from shorter range where you are much less likely to miss the basket. Lean back a little and then motion forward and slam it into the chains. They will catch it.

Take the advice above and change your thought process (as you suspected). At 30+ feet, your brain may be telling you, "I can look good if I make this." And at 10-15 feet, "I'll look like an idiot if I miss this." Our brains understand only "make" and "miss" and the results predictably follow.

I'll join you in this misery. I am side-lined with some tennis elbow - but I would say that at 15-20' there was something mechanically wrong with the my putt for quite a while. It was KILLING me because I was practicing all the time.

It boiled down to the fact in my backyard, I would sit at 28-30 and work and work and work. For me to hit chains at that distance with the disc travelling slow enough that if I miss I'm not 25' past the bucket, I had to add some lob.

Learning the release point for that lob, meant that when I was closer (15-20) to the bucket, I was missing high or right because I was holding it too long.

I have since gone to a more "straight at the chains" line for my putt.

That has helped quite a bit - especially since in my mind I'm trying to visualize getting the disc to fly into the chains, versus lobbing it into the chains.

Picking a chain link doesn't work for everyone for all putts, but I find that picking a chain link for the short putts works wonders. Just clear your mind, pick a link, and throw at it. Don't think about how. Don't think about the release point. Just hit your link.

Those Instep baskets like in HyzerBomber's video messed me up putting for awhile untill I put a second row of chains in. I was getting alot of spit thrus at distance (25+') so I began putting much softer than I should have been so they would stick but then my problem was alot of spit outs to the left or right if I wasn't directly centered.

Those Instep baskets like in HyzerBomber's video messed me up putting for awhile untill I put a second row of chains in. I was getting alot of spit thrus at distance (25+') so I began putting much softer than I should have been so they would stick but then my problem was alot of spit outs to the left or right if I wasn't directly centered.

I consider those "in"... but I'm actually surprised by how little mine kicks out the back (unless they're at all wet).

I consider those "in"... but I'm actually surprised by how little mine kicks out the back (unless they're at all wet).

Yep, if you're putting on a crappy basket then accept the fact that there will be spits. Know when you hit a good putt and don't worry about where your disc ended up. Don't adjust your putt because you have dead center spits.

I am by no means a perfect putter. But definitely just make sure it's not in your head. I've learned to just leave anything that may bother you mentally at home. As soon as you let a putt or anything get into your head, your round is toast. So don't let a few misses bother you! Just keep working on it and pick your chain to aim at.

I do a good amount of practice putting and am always learning what works and what doesn't. Not that I have all the answers, but I will offer a few bits of advice that help me.

I have found that it really helps me a lot to watch my release point and make sure that I not only keep my arm straight in line with the basket, but also that I release right in front of me, centered on the pole right where I am aiming. Keep everything on a straight line to the basket: your body, your head, your arm, and your whole motion/follow-through.

Also I strongly believe in a zen for putting. You can't think about it, you just have to do it. Whenever I start contemplating my shot and thinking about all the moving parts I usually screw up. But when the mind is clear and you can just feel your shot then success is more likely. You just want a nice, smooth motion where your whole body is in rhythm. You will be able to feel when something is off.

I'm about to go outside and putt some more, so I'll report on anything else that I find useful :). Good discing to you.

I've been playing around with a new method just this past week that has really opened my eyes as far as the focus point.

I have all my mechanics worked out so that I don't even think about my form at all anymore, all it is now is slamming that putt into the chains. I'm a spin putter and the only thing I really think about at all is, "a little hyzer, and shoot straight to the basket", but even after a little warmup at the beginning of each practice session, I don't even think about that anymore. It's just.."GO!"

If I miss, it's usually because I raised my shoulders at the last second instead of shooting straight out. It's immediately apparent what I did and I just adjust back and then things smooth out again.

I'll tell you this though, I've read and watched videos everywhere online that tell you to focus on a link or focus on the pole, which is what I used to do but have recently discovered that I tend to tighten everything else up when I'm so a cutely focused on the tiniest piece of metal...

Try this. Look at the big picture and focus on the 'area' that the disc has to travel to for the basket to catch. For me, I pretend there is a hula hoop hanging right in front of the center of the basket, all I have to do is throw through that hoop and SPLASH, straight into the heart!

Has really opened my eyes and made putts seem not so intense anymore back when I was putting tunnel vision on a chainlink. Focus on the area, tell yourself 'put it there' and fire away.

Hope this helps.

I have never focused on a link because my focus is on center mass.

yesterday I played with a pro player who is going through a recent bit of putting woes. From 30-50ft their putt seemed to be on a good line but if it didn't go in the troubles began. Part of the problem was when the disc would either miss or hit and roll to an uncomfortable 10-15ft spot. Their solution was to throw a hyzer putt which would either hit left when thrown weakly or miss right when corrected for the last weak putt. There was a lack of confidence. have some trust and fire it flat into the middle of the basket. I can't guarantee that it will stick but your odds are much better if you hit the center.

"I struggle at this distance" so confidence is lost to distraction.

"I just sank one twice this distance" so focus is lost to confidence.

Personally, the closer I am (outside of 7'), the longer I spend in mental prep.

That's basically the same thing I'm saying Chris, focus on the center mass area. I've been making a lot more putts lately zooming out a bit from a chainlink to the center mad of all chains.

I've been playing around with a new method just this past week that has really opened my eyes as far as the focus point.

I have all my mechanics worked out so that I don't even think about my form at all anymore, all it is now is slamming that putt into the chains. I'm a spin putter and the only thing I really think about at all is, "a little hyzer, and shoot straight to the basket", but even after a little warmup at the beginning of each practice session, I don't even think about that anymore. It's just.."GO!"

If I miss, it's usually because I raised my shoulders at the last second instead of shooting straight out. It's immediately apparent what I did and I just adjust back and then things smooth out again.

I'll tell you this though, I've read and watched videos everywhere online that tell you to focus on a link or focus on the pole, which is what I used to do but have recently discovered that I tend to tighten everything else up when I'm so a cutely focused on the tiniest piece of metal...

Try this. Look at the big picture and focus on the 'area' that the disc has to travel to for the basket to catch. For me, I pretend there is a hula hoop hanging right in front of the center of the basket, all I have to do is throw through that hoop and SPLASH, straight into the heart!

Has really opened my eyes and made putts seem not so intense anymore back when I was putting tunnel vision on a chainlink. Focus on the area, tell yourself 'put it there' and fire away.

Hope this helps.
:thmbup:

Spin putt, slight hyzer, straight at the basket! I also agree about the chain link thing. I think focusing on a single chain is way too ambitious and it can take your focus off the actual shot. Whenever I have tried to specifically aim at a chain or a link I always mess up because you DO get tunnel vision and it can mess up your concentration. I always try to just get it center basket, there is no need to single-out a small point to hit.

Practice. Practice the 10 - 15 footers. If I have time I putt 10 to 20 times from that range before I play a round. Why practice anything longer if you can't dominate inside of 20 feet. Most important part of your game right there.