• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putts always missing high

anonyduce

Par Member
Does anybody have some tips to get one under the band? They either miss high or I go nose down and it never has a shot.

Use your finger pads to follow through to the chains. Make sure your finger pads are pointed straight to the chains on release. Like shooting a basketball. Also, choose a less glidey putter so you don't get so much lift.

Post video.
Sure sounds like you're having release angle issues, but no way to know why from your description.
Could be hand/wrist, could be weight shift, could be follow through....

Bend your knees more.

I struggle with putting higher when my legs are tired and I am not getting low enough to the ground.

My putting style evolves as I get further from the basket. Generally I push putt with loft, and starting at about 15-20 feet I need to get the disc above the band at the apex of the loft... I have at times tended to hit the band too much when I'm inside 15 feet and I have trouble putting straight into the chains when I'm used to an arc in the shot. If I try to forego the loft, I end up hitting the basket because I'm too delicate with it.

The solution for me has been that inside 15 feet I putt decidedly nose up, and straight into the middle of the chains. Nose up keeps the disc aloft longer on a much flatter and more direct loft that doesn't get up to the height of the band. The added benefit is if you are low, the disc slides across the rim and goes in. But nose up is the secret ingredient (for me) that can make short putts as easy as they should be. Outside 15 feet, my disc is always flat.

If you're hitting the band from outside 15 ft, I'd say you just misjudged distance to power, and practice is the solution if it happens too much.

Does anybody have some tips to get one under the band? They either miss high or I go nose down and it never has a shot.

Fwiw...imop... doesn't matter what style you putt with, the more important thing is to burn that muscle memory in by doing the same putting motion over and over as often as possible. Try a memory muscle drill such as putting from 3-5ft out, a bunch of times, using the same velocity as you would from 20ft or so, hitting dead center basket. Increase the distance by 2ft or so and repeat, etc, etc. Over time along with the muscle memory learned, you will also be subliminally teaching yourself the line to take as you progress further out.

Latest posts