• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

question about a 1X Beast...

kpc2004

Double Eagle Member
i found a champion beast the other day, a disc i know little about since i dont throw them, and ive been holding it and feeling it and noticed the difference in plastic its a little gummier and softer and i couldnt figure it out til i realized it said "Barry Schultz 2003 PDGA world champion" instead of "2 time disc golf world champion". i know the pre-barry's are valuable so, like most of the discs i ask about on here, ive never seen one before without the 2X and would like to know if it is rare/valuable or just an older beast....if you have any info i would appreciate it, thanks guys!

I have an older beast, before the champion plastic came out innova made pro-line. It's basically the same thing. Before the pro line they made CE plastic, I don't think the beast was out when innova used this plastic. As for value, it's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

Just throw the disc and see if you like it or not.

It might be a old mold beast. I'm not sure when the changeover occurred, but the original beasts were a lot more stable than the beasts made now, maybe even overstable (i've never thrown one, i've just heard about them). I'll try to find something else about them, like when the changeover happened.

As far as I can tell, some people think that old mold beasts are more stable, and others think that they are less stable. A couple guys recall the beast being made, and then the orc. However, Innova thought they were too similar, so they changed the beast mold to be more understable, combining it with another disc's mold.

I'm guessing some people are getting the other disc's mold confused with the old beast's mold. I'm not sure though. Once ThreePutt sees this thread, he'll have some good info.

It might be a old mold beast. I'm not sure when the changeover occurred, but the original beasts were a lot more stable than the beasts made now, maybe even overstable (i've never thrown one, i've just heard about them). I'll try to find something else about them, like when the changeover happened.

They changed them during the 2x model runs.
Some of the 2x are old mold, some are new.

I have a 175g blue pearl '03 BS World Champ Champion Beast with the soft, gummy feel and it is definately more stable than the new mold beasts. It is also very durable considering I've had it for 6 years and the flight characteristics haven't changed. I wish I could find more of the older pearly champion plastic.

I found an old mold beast after i was already using a newer one. I had no idea they existed. But Now i carry both in my bag because the old mold flies long and straight. while the new mold is overstable. The 03 mold is also very soft. it resembles the feel of discrafts flx plastic. its a keeper for me.

The "1x" Beast I have is on the gummy side for Champion, too. Depending on the condition I'd say to try to trade it off or sell it to someone who really wants an old mold, Champion Beast. IMO, the Champs weren't as good as the DX Beasts and there are plenty of good discs out in that speed range. You don't really need to be throwing something that's OOP to have a good disc for that slot.