• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

question about driving with putters

ryaninsartell

I'm still fairly new to DG and I'm trying to learn proper driving form by using putters and mid-ranges. I read that driving with putters is beneficial for new players because its a slow, straight flying disc AND because technique issues and form will be easy to spot. Most of my throws turn over to the right. Is this a common problem with new players when driving with putters? Thanks for your help.

Ryan

Yes, that's exactly what will happen if you have off axis torque (OAT). The putter will tend to flutter, which is seen as OAT, and that will destabilize it...letting it turn to the right.

If you were using a faster or more stable disc, it would be so stable it would overcome this flutter and still hold straight, eventually fading left. This would hide this problem and you would be unaware of your issues.

First troubleshooting issue is to make sure your grip is proper. I can't find the article I have linked in the past for some reason...but make sure the disc is parallel to your forearm. With an open hand, place the disc parallel to your index finger, but between the index and middle finger knuckles. Then wrap your fingers underneath the disc. Do NOT have the disc between your index finger and thumb (in the "normal" seam of your hand)...this will have it way off angle with your forearm. Once your grip is proper, you will need to bend your wrist slightly downward (handshake type angle) to further help align the disc with your forearm.

After that make sure you are pulling through level and straight on your throws.

I would also add....make sure you are aware of your distances. Put markers out to 300ft at 50ft intervals. Start at 50ft, and only progress to the next marker when you can reliably throw it level and straight to the current marker. Granted, to get to the further distances you will have to throw it a bit higher, but try to throw it as low as possible to each marker. If you can get to 200ft+ at a fairly low ceiling that is really going to have a positive affect on your progress long term.

I agree with what has already been said above and would like to add one point that was a real issue for me in the beginning and that is grip on certain types of discs. What discs are you throwing? Are they fluttering when they fly and then going right, or are they just going right of your intended target? Without seeing how you throw, all answers may be a moot point but we do try.

Everyone has different hands and confidence in your grip is important. I have large hands and trying to wrap my fingers around a thin rimmed tall putter just caused me problems with my pinky hanging up on the rim and sometimes they would go right.

My suggestions to any new player would be to buy two of each type, either a D-Buzzz or DX Shark and an Aviar Putt and approach (all beadless) and a DX Cobra or Comet and a Magnet or Judge (all beaded)

I started with a Buzzz, Shark and an Aviar, all beadless discs and I ended up throwing beaded discs like the Roc, the Yeti and Judge because I get a cleaner more consistent release with beads. Trial and error are part of the game.

Also would like to suggest this link. Good luck, try not to get too frustrate and have fun
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

Thanks for all the great responses! I have noticed a lot of flutter immediately when I release the disc, then it flattens out for a short while and then starts to head right. I have experimented with many different grips variations but the flutter remains. I'll try some of your ideas out a field and see if I can improve it.

I have a variety of putters and mid-ranges that I'm throwing as drivers for practice such as a wizard eraser, aviar P&A, Maco3, etc.

Once your grip is proper, you will need to bend your wrist slightly downward (handshake type angle) to further help align the disc with your forearm.
I find this angle to be natural when the wrist is loose. I just grip a disc from that loose wrist and it's automatically aligned with minimal forcing :)

Read the links posted, and SLOW DOWN. With putters, I found myself wanting to rip them monkeys a new one, but if you're having to throw a putter that hard, to get it to go that far, reach for a mid. I don't drive with a putter too often because of that reason, I'd rather throw a slower mid. Once I started throwing Wizards though things started to change. For now, work slow and smooth. As a newbie, you want slow and straight, and be consistent with that, distance (D) will come. My putters used to touch around 150-200 when I first started, I stopped worrying about how far discs went and started worrying about where they went. Recently I went back out to a driving range (local course that has a field marked accurately with distances) and was hitting 275-325 with my Wizards now. It took a lot of restraint, but build up your form. I had to go all Field of Dreams on my ass, If you build it (form), d will come.

What type of putters are you trying to drive, and how beat would you rate them?

I throw putters and midranges with a modified fan grip. I find I have a lot more control and a much cleaner release by getting a couple fingers on the plate.

To keep me focused on my footwork I will empty my bag in the batting cage before going onto the field. I've found it gets my priorities straight- technically speaking, as well as loosens me up and helps me solidify my driving routine.

Another tip is go out with a friend and play catch with that putter! You'll get more throws in and have a point to aim at. If the putter is uncomfortable to catch (always try to catch with your "off" hand) just knock it down.

The reason you are to throw putters when beginning is to teach yourself proper release by starting slow, then work your way up to faster discs, and you can start your throwing motion to be faster and smoother once properly learned.

try throwing whole rounds with putters, too. putters can be used on a wider range of shots, and when you throw the same disc for an entire round, you readily feel variations in your form from shot to shot.

to paraphrase a shusterick tip: if you have a lot of OAT or pull shots over to the right a lot, go to the field and try to deliberately throw hyzers with no flutter and good healthy spin. don't worry that they disappear left for now. you'll get a better feel for how the disc looks and feels as it comes out clean.

Thanks for all the great responses! I have noticed a lot of flutter immediately when I release the disc, then it flattens out for a short while and then starts to head right. I have experimented with many different grips variations but the flutter remains. I'll try some of your ideas out a field and see if I can improve it.

I have a variety of putters and mid-ranges that I'm throwing as drivers for practice such as a wizard eraser, aviar P&A, Maco3, etc.

yeah, that's a common problem. especially when trying to drive big beaded or deeper putters like an aviar or wizard. the mako (from what i've been told) is fairly neutral. so yes, you are experiencing a form issue - an extremely common one that we all deal with. :)

i'd advise throwing something that is comfortable in your hand, yet true to your form. whether that's a beaded or nonbeaded, shallow or deep disc, that's up to you. i feel you are best served throwing that mako for now. throwing putters is a pain in the ass, especially when you're new and not used to it. it can be more frustrating than anything.

i'd advise throwing something that is comfortable in your hand, yet true to your form. whether that's a beaded or nonbeaded, shallow or deep disc, that's up to you. i feel you are best served throwing that mako for now. throwing putters is a pain in the ass, especially when you're new and not used to it. it can be more frustrating than anything.

What he said!

And I can't agree more with the Mako recommendation. My second year, I did most of my putting with a Mako too. I would chose the Mako over the Mako3 though if you're planning on eventually moving to putters.

In the beginning, it has to be about some fun. Torture yourself later when the desire to be better kicks in.

I've been using my mako3 mostly. I really like the fact that it wants to go dead straight. I usually throw it around 210' but today when I was forcing my wrist in a nose down position it was closer to 240'. Still a wobble and still a tendency to turn over to the right. I'm thinking about video taping some throws to be able to see more detail. If I do I'll be sure to post a link for comments.
I also don't have much of a follow through. The pros on youtube have huge follow throughs but my natural arm movement is more just straight ahead.

I also don't have much of a follow through. The pros on youtube have huge follow throughs but my natural arm movement is more just straight ahead.

This may indicate that you are accelerating too early and also maybe not going through an elbow forward "power pocket" type position.

The acceleration should be late enough in the throw that your arm has no choice but to go around your body.

You may find these videos useful. They show the form I use when I drive a putter for distance.

Latest posts