• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question about Paul McBeth's Putting Style

Discusted

Par Member
I've been trying to emulate his putting style. It's actually solved a lot of issues I've had like having a wobbly release, and less consistency aiming off left to right. His putting style is comfortable for me and I'd like to continue replicating it as much as possible.

I wonder if there are people here that know his style a little more in depth as there as some things in his style that I can't quite glean from videos.

So he seems to always line up the Disc up high with the basket, then he pulls it down to load up, when doing so he always seems to touch his disc to his left thigh. This I assume is to make sure his pullback is always consistant. Now when he touches his left thigh it seems like he puts the disc OFF the angle he initially lined up with. Then on the throwing motion he moves it back to the angle he's throwing. Seems like this would be harder to replicate over and over. Is that what he's doing or am I missing something?

Also when he lines his feet up, his front foot plant location I'm confused about. Does he put his front foot toes ON the line directed towards the basket or just right of that line. Because if its ON the line it would seem his reachback should be going somewhere towards his right knee not left thigh to keep a straight line up and down motion.

Also when he lines his feet up, his front foot plant location I'm confused about. Does he put his front foot toes ON the line directed towards the basket or just right of that line. Because if its ON the line it would seem his reachback should be going somewhere towards his right knee not left thigh to keep a straight line up and down motion.

I think he lines is feet up pretty much in line with the basket. The key with his form (Ricky does this too) is that he squats and bends his front knee to the right. It's an easy way to get more power from your legs while allowing the disc to drop further down and in line with the basket.

I'm sure imitating his putt is a great place to start, but at a certain point you need to tweak what works for your game. The best putting advice I've heard (from Mcbeth... so it's relevant) is when you notice a problem, too short, too much hyzer, whatever, is to exaggerate the correction rather than try to make a tiny change. It's much easier to dial back a change than to slowly increase one. Just sharing what has worked best for me.

The best advice I've heard (from Mcbeth... so it's relevant) is when you notice a problem, too short, too much hyzer, whatever, is to exaggerate the correction rather than try to make a tiny change. It's much easier to dial back a change than to slowly increase one.
People need to read ^ this!

Drives me crazy when people say, "this pro doesn't crush the can, or hershyzer, or do the door frame drill exactly like you demonstrate."

Yeah, because it's a drill meant to exaggerate something you need to feel and integrate into your own form.