• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question about Winthrop Gold course page

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Are the hole distances listed here accurate for the current layout?

For example #2 Gold has a new pin position on the left side of the road near the water, #5 has a new tee pad and 13 is a new hole.

Do the numbers reflect those changes or are they out dated? I am guessing the latter, looking at #13's measurement.

New pin on 2? Don't know anything about that.

I doubt they are updated

Actually now that I look at it it's probably pretty accurate depending on the pin placements

New #2 pin by the water? Isn't that where 18's pin is? I'm confused.

I think he's confused.

#2 gold plays along the road/parking lot, unlikely the pin is near the water, unless there is some sort of major redesign.

You probably already know this, but I believe there are two sets of pins at Winthrop.
One is for the Lakefront course and they also leave up some pins from the old Gold course.

New #2 pin by the water? Isn't that where 18's pin is? I'm confused.

#2 gold has a pin by where 18's pin used to be, and now 18 plays to an elevated basket that I believe is a bit shorter than the old 18.

There is a spot for the basket to be placed near the water fountain / fence on the right side of the parking lot but the basket is currently in this new location on the left side of the parking lot.

I'll be posting a video showing the layout as it currently stands sometime this week. I like to include hole lengths in my videos but I think I'll have to leave that out this time.

You probably already know this, but I believe there are two sets of pins at Winthrop.
One is for the Lakefront course and they also leave up some pins from the old Gold course.

Yup, almost got a black ace on #12's short basket because I threw my drive too low :p Was wondering where I'd tee off from if it were a round that counts....but I suppose in that situation they'd have removed the basket beforehand.

Last edited:
Are the hole distances listed here accurate for the current layout?

For example #2 Gold has a new pin position on the left side of the road near the water, #5 has a new tee pad and 13 is a new hole.

Do the numbers reflect those changes or are they out dated? I am guessing the latter, looking at #13's measurement.

The Gold course changes every year. Your best bet is to use the 2016 USDGC Caddy Book:

http://usdgc.com/?p=1984

And you are definitely mixing up layouts if trying to play #2 to the long position of #18. The Lakefront layout is very different than Gold. Many of the Gold baskets are left in place but some are moved to accommodate the Lakefront layout.

And you are definitely mixing up layouts if trying to play #2 to the long position of #18. The Lakefront layout is very different than Gold. Many of the Gold baskets are left in place but some are moved to accommodate the Lakefront layout.

There is no basket for #2 on the right side of the parking lot right now. There is a basket near "18 long" that is labelled 2, so we threw to that.

When I was there in January, it looked like they'd moved basket #2 to 18 long. This allows you to play 18 in both the A and B position from 2016.

In the place of where #2 basket usually sits: nothing.

When I was there in January, it looked like they'd moved basket #2 to 18 long. This allows you to play 18 in both the A and B position from 2016.

In the place of where #2 basket usually sits: nothing.

yep.

I played this hole within the past week. If you look at the caddy book for hole 2 gold, that basket does not currently exist. There is #3 waterfronts basket ~380' in front of #2 gold tee, and this new position for gold 2 labelled #2 on the basket.

I absolutely love how the course is always evolving, but it can make referencing course data challenging at times :)

Latest posts