• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question on Throwing speed?

SteveinMA

Hi everyone, I'm new to the disc golf world and I only play during the winter months when I cant play real golf. I've been watching youtube videos of techniques and the proper way the throw a disc, my question is - Are you trying to throw it as hard as you can? Before watching any video's I was throwing my Avenger SS maybe 200'. Now I have started using the X step and I seem to have more distance. I have noticed if I try to throw it as hard as I can (but still in control) I lose distance and the disc usually hooks hard left or right. Any thoughts?

The quick & dirty is that you want to throw fast, but not necessarily hard. If you strong arm your disc, you're more likely to turn your disc over (if you're right handed, this means the disc will turn to the right) and burn out.

Also, as a newer player, you may want to consider a slower disc than an Avenger. Avengers require power (e.g. speed & snap) than something like a Leopard or an XL.

Oh, and you may want to call "real golf" "ball golf" to keep the die-hard DG purists off your back ;)

Welcome to the sport, site, and the addiction!

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the input BCR - I do have other, slower discs which I throw well, but still not very far. My favorite and most consistant disc is a Champion Eagle, which I throw around 150'. Maybe I am missing this "snap" you are referring to.

The quick & dirty is that you want to throw fast, but not necessarily hard. If you strong arm your disc, you're more likely to turn your disc over (if you're right handed, this means the disc will turn to the right) and burn out.

Also, as a newer player, you may want to consider a slower disc than an Avenger. Avengers require power (e.g. speed & snap) than something like a Leopard or an XL.

Oh, and you may want to call "real golf" "ball golf" to keep the die-hard DG purists off your back ;)

Welcome to the sport, site, and the addiction!

What about a elite x xpress?

The short answer is that late acceleration is much more important than throwing "fast" or "hard." The long answer is the Technique Sticky.

OK...I've been out practicing with a few disc's..Avenger, AvengerSS, Eagle, and Leopard. I was concentrating on more shoulder turn, less strong arm, and good snap. My Avenger flew a nice S and ended a little left of center. My Avernger SS flew a nice S as well, but also ended left of center...usually it always ended to the right. Both disc's flew nice and flat, I was even releasing the SS nice and flat to try to have it end up right...it never would...any thoughts? On a good note...I was getting about 50' more distance than previously, when I was strong arming the disc's

Thanks for the input BCR - I do have other, slower discs which I throw well, but still not very far. My favorite and most consistant disc is a Champion Eagle, which I throw around 150'. Maybe I am missing this "snap" you are referring to.

Snap is... hard to master.

You'll know if you're getting snap, your throws will be tight, consistent, and will bring tears to your eyes...:p

It sounds like you cleaned up your form a bit. If you're now at 250' then the Avenger SS probably won't have any turn on a clean throw.

It sounds like you cleaned up your form a bit. If you're now at 250' then the Avenger SS probably won't have any turn on a clean throw.

I guess what my new issue is I dont have a diss that will end up right of center line, thats what my SS usually did. You have any suggestions on a disc I can try that will end up right?

What other discs do you have? Are you willing to buy discs? If the answer is, none and no then I'd just work on both forcing over the Avenger SS and throwing it on an anhyzer. If you've done the hammer pound drills you'll be able to throw the normal Avenger forehand, too.

If you don't mind buying other discs, I'd recommend looking at the "How to Build a Bag" sticky in the bag forum. There are several suggestions for slower, really controllable discs that will make learning line shaping easier. The goal is to get so that you can throw any of your discs and get them to fly on all lines.

Latest posts