• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rage Putts

von lipvig

I am trying to become a better player and I have a question about 'rage putts' or 'rage throws'. I've seen in the competition portion of the rule book 3.3.B.2 that "Throwing items in anger (other than discs in play)" is a player misconduct. Does that come with a one stroke penalty or the like?

I don't believe misconduct is penalized by strokes -- it's looked at as more serious than that. Possible disqualification and potential for further disciplinary action by the PDGA.

By "rage putts" or "rage throws", what exactly are you talking about? It would seem to me that the rule is stating that if you are angry and emotional and throw a disc as a part of progressing your lie, you can't be penalized for that action. In other words, if you get mad and rifle a full power throw into the chains from 6 feet away, your "penalty" is if it spits out (which is likely). But if you're otherwise legal (stance, follow-through, etc), there's nothing anyone can really do about it.

If you're throwing a disc (or anything else) independently of progressing your lie, the potential penalties vary based on what you're throwing (and frankly, where you're throwing it too). You can be penalized with added throws to your score if it's a disc (practice throws, 801.06). You are subject to courtesy warnings/penalties/disqualification if it involves throwing other things or otherwise acting like a jackass (801.04 and/or 3.3.B.2).

I think that 801.04.C is going to cover the vast majority of situations. IMO, the tone of the courtesy rule is that it pertains to actions that cause a temporary distraction, while misconduct is about actions that create a persistent distraction, make someone feel unsafe, or make the tournament unfair by altering the course. You would have some incredible display of throwing stuff in anger for me to call misconduct. A player would probably have to throw something at someone or damage the course somehow. Additionally, the only person who can enforce a misconduct call is the TD. In practice, the player would have to do something so detrimental that you are willing to stop play, go get the TD, and insist that the player be disqualified. While you could wait until after the round, that doesn't make sense to me, personally.

Rage = trying to throw too hard = grip lock = a really long drive in the wrong direction

why are we penalizing players for putting with a distance driver?

If it's someone who misses a putt, then picks up the disc they used for their upshot or drive and chunks it into the chains.. I'll usually look the other way once or twice. If it happens more than twice I'll give them a warning for a 'practice throw' and ask them not to do it again. Often times that kind of stuff will throw someone else off who's waiting to putt, and it's a practice that should be limited when playing anything more than a super casual round.

Latest posts