• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Random data: See who's writing all the reviews.

This site really has multiple facets. Some people use it to track scores. Some people are mostly trading discs. Some of our Trusted Reviewers don't post on the forum. Some of our most prodigious posters don't write course reviews.

I myself seem to spend more time flapping my gums through my fingers than writing reviews these days. Maybe I should actually write a review every now and then.

I would be willing to venture a guess that most of those 3750 are relative www noobs who did not bookmark this place and just never returned.

The admins can see the ip addresses and could clarify actual participation but that is a fair amount of wwwork for no real reason.

...I would like to review all the courses I play... but when they have already been reviewed properly, I don't see the point.
DSCJNKY

I would review them anyway just to give my unique point of view. Plus I tend to find fun things to write about that may not make it into other reviews. Your personal experience will be different from everyone else's.

I agree with TalbotTrojan, go ahead and write the review based on your personal experience of the course. It is hard to cover all the facts about any one course, or reviews could easily turn into novels. So, take the facts and your personal experience and post the review anyway, as everyones POV will be different.

Sorry, should have included some of this... the cutoff for top 1% is the top 50 reviewers (50/5015=1%), the minimum number of reviews is 28 to be in the top 50 right now, but better hurry -- that number is climbing. Cut and paste is a little tricky for the top 50, so I didn't take the time (also makes the post a lot longer), but it's easy to look up (see the link in the post above). Glad there are other stats junkies out there... there always are. :)

Waahoo - barely made the cut.

This site really has multiple facets. Some people use it to track scores. Some people are mostly trading discs. Some of our Trusted Reviewers don't post on the forum. Some of our most prodigious posters don't write course reviews.

I myself seem to spend more time flapping my gums through my fingers than writing reviews these days. Maybe I should actually write a review every now and then.

I think that is the real beauty of this site. There is more to do than just chat on a forum, or more than just marking off courses. I think every active member owes it to themselves to attempt to participate in every aspect of the site. my .002. :D I personally need to get more into the trading aspect - I think that would be pretty cool.

I agree with TalbotTrojan, go ahead and write the review based on your personal experience of the course. It is hard to cover all the facts about any one course, or reviews could easily turn into novels. So, take the facts and your personal experience and post the review anyway, as everyones POV will be different.

I would agree -- the other reason to keep writing new reviews, even for courses with lots of reviews, is that courses change over time. New reviews allow interested players to keep a pulse on how the course is changing over time -- for good or for bad. If a course has 20+ reviews, I'll probably try to focus my review on a few short, helpful points that may not have been covered, and give a status update on course conditions.

The other advantage to more course reviews is that it (hopefully) gives a more national perspective. It helps locals to hear what visiting players think about the course and how it compares to other parts of the nation -- it also will help (in the long run) equalize any course scores that might get artificially inflated by a lot of local fanboys. The more traveling players that write reviews, the more balanced the reviews will become. And sometimes outside reviews will help locals reevaluate their own courses -- an outside perspective may point out strengths and weaknesses that a local can miss. And as counterpoint, local perspectives can give a dimension of familiarity with the course that only comes from playing a place dozens/hundreds of times. I love it when local reviews give me a few "local tips" about the big invisible thumber route over the left on hole 7, or the spike hyzer that WILL cut the corner on hole 13 and give a birdie look...

Buzzkill.
I'm sure there are a good chunk of members that fit this description, but I highly doubt that it is anywhere near 3,750. I'd guess more like 1,000 to 1,500 are members that signed up but don't participate in at least some aspect of the site any longer.

I would be willing to venture a guess that most of those 3750 are relative www noobs who did not bookmark this place and just never returned.

The admins can see the ip addresses and could clarify actual participation but that is a fair amount of wwwork for no real reason.

T I M,

What makes 10 reviews the critical mass? And for that matter, what do you mean by critical mass? I get the idea that 1 review isn't a reliable resource, and that 10 is likely pretty good, but maybe a few less would qualify for "critical mass"?

Damn, just realized I'm member #130... I love this place. Don't post much, but find this site extremely useful!

T I M,

What makes 10 reviews the critical mass? And for that matter, what do you mean by critical mass? I get the idea that 1 review isn't a reliable resource, and that 10 is likely pretty good, but maybe a few less would qualify for "critical mass"?

I picked 10 reviews as "critical mass" since that was the criteria TimG used last year for compiling the "top 100 courses" list. To be eligible to be a "top course" a course had to have at least 10 reviews... I think the same cutoff is true for the top 10 on the front page.

I believe the number itself is arbitrary, but thanks to the comfortable familiarity of base-10 thinking, it also has a subconscious reassurance as a number of substance... as well as being the tipping point into double digits. If you set it at some other level what would it be and why? 9? 8? 5? ...

I think at 10 reviews, most of the important aspects of the course should have been covered, and by then there should be a mix of locals and visiting folks, hopefully across the span of the seasons so it is reviewed under all different playing conditions. Again, no specific reason except that I had to pick a cutoff, and 10 is the cutoff that has been used for official purposes in the past.

Latest posts