• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Random Draw Doubles Dillema

why would you split it? you paid to get into the ace pot, you hit the ace... you get all the money. your partner gets the benefit of a 1 scored for the doubles round. :)

I concer. What if you're the first guy, but instead of parking it, you clanged it home? Would you split a CTP? no, so why the ace pot? :p

You know, it's not too much of a stretch to apply the Golden Rule here. I'm sure everyone has heard of it: Do unto others...

It just seems logical to me to split with your partner.

IMO, when player A1 quits he's done (DNF), no payout for him if the team cashes. Player A2 is SOL and finishes the round solo with just one shot.

As for aces in doubles, the team should decide before play what to do with any potential ace pot money. Many, many times I've seen people agree to split it as that plays into good doubles strategy.

One reason to split it is because of how doubles strategy usually works. Often one player tries to park the hole, and if they're successful, the other player goes for an ace run (nothing to lose). If that happens, the other player didn't even really have a shot at the ace, so splitting it seems to be the fair way to go.

Yup! It just makes too much sense.
And, this argument is why there probably shouldn't be an ace pot in doubles.
DSCJNKY

my ace. my pot!
it doesn't matter what the format of play is (unless you make the distinction before the round). if one player hits an ace its his pot.if more than one we all (aces)split.
just because you have a partner doesn't mean an automatic split.
that's why we EACH put in.(what if your partner decided his game sucked lately and he didn't pay in? would you split with?)
you could in theory say to everyone before the round "hey we're all partners in the ace pot today,so if anyone hits we all get a share."
seriously who would want to play that way?
that just goes against the idea of an ace pool....YOUR ACE,YOUR POT!

In my experience the ace pot is a separate bet, where you're free to opt out of you want. It's the same with CTPs. You and your partner are cooperating for the main pot, but you're on your own for the side bets.

I'd definitely expect the TD to let the partner who got ditched play as "odd dog." (Is "cali" the same thing??) Think of it this way: if you'd have let him have a second throw per hole from the start, why not let him have a second throw per hole after his partner ditches him? I think letting one player play two shots per lie is too much, since that would seem to give him an advantage over the doubles teams. It's easier to adjust your own throw, which you felt, than to adjust based on what you saw your partner do.

**** im thinking about karma at that point...my partner is getting some of my ace money....its just the right thing to do..what comes around goes around..if i hit an ace im not gonna be stingy, ill be more than happy to split it, buy the beer, whatever...and i expect my partner to do the same, but if they dont then thats their choice...but ill remember it the next time:)

Latest posts